all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training programming for student with one arm only

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Justyna Mackova

Level 8 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Hello,
I have a lady student missing a right forearm (from birth).

Do you have any experience with training such athletes? I could think about kettlebell and bodyweight exercises we can do, but my question is - if this kind of unbalanced training wouldn't lead to more dysbalences than benefits? I will be grateful for any suggestions. She is very determined to practice.

@Brett Jones , I would appreciate any advice, thank you.

Can't offer you any help other than to say that you should try a search on the old forum. I seem to remember a similar posting with some interesting links and how fms screen really helped programming by addressing asymmetries. Can't remember the details, sorry but worth searching for.

I would suggest doing whatever someone with two arms would do with a barbell, but with dumbells. So instead of deadlifting a barbell, deadlift a dumbell. (Be careful though, and work on core strength. If there is two much weight on one side of your body and you have a weak core, it doesn't matter how many arms you have, you can still fall over.)

There's lots of excercises where you can still work the side of your body without and arm, just do a lot of twisting stuff.

Get good at one arm dumbell benching and work that chest muscle, cause it's gonna look pretty awesome when you're showing off your one arm push ups to your friends who'll just stand there in amazement.

Goodluck,
Mike

I would suggest doing whatever someone with two arms would do with a barbell, but with dumbells. So instead of deadlifting a barbell, deadlift a dumbell. (Be careful though, and work on core strength. If there is two much weight on one side of your body and you have a weak core, it doesn't matter how many arms you have, you can still fall over.)

There's lots of excercises where you can still work the side of your body without and arm, just do a lot of twisting stuff.

Get good at one arm dumbell benching and work that chest muscle, cause it's gonna look pretty awesome when you're showing off your one arm push ups to your friends who'll just stand there in amazement.

Goodluck,
Mike
Note: I just wanted to say sorry, I completely skipped over the fact that it wasn't you with only one arm, so I apologize for making it seem like that. Other than that though, the rest of that if still pretty accurate, just not for you haha

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom