all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed training review of 2016

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harald Motz

Level 8 Valued Member
As the year comes to an end, I thought I give my personal reflection of the year training wise.
Because there are many modalities that build up my training, I thought it would suit best in the "Other" section of the Forum.

A big part of 2016 was A+A work under the guidance of Al Ciampa starting beginning of January. Two one hand swing protocols with 50kg five reps per repeat. Following with a one hand snatch protocol solely with 32kg than introducing 36k and 40kg in the second protocol, and doing some more volume with the heavier bells in my third protocol. In my testing I was very pleased, to increase my numbers in the SSST (24kg for 10min) where I hit 200 twice, and my third test with a lower overall heart rate. Lots of hr measuring this year, which gives some valuable input by comparing ones own apples to ones oranges, so to speak.

Another big part was the introduction of aerobic work through Al. I started with running, later switched to the C2 rower as it was later in the year already dark, when I got home from work in the late afternoon. Very interesting for me was to find, that my day to day MAF hr was/is significantly lower than the formula prescribes, and seems to be different with running or rowing. Through consistent arobic work, I lost a solid 10kg of bodyweight, sure a bit of muscle, but more so waist line fat. Better overall feeling, and it got me more interested in mobility/stretching work again, which I neglected before. I do it almost any evening before going to bed. I am back to the splits.

A further big part was ZercherSquatting (snatch grip deadlifting the bar up, and setting it down is part of it too) and HandstandPushup (either full range of motion between chairs, or freestanding on the floor) practice. Some lower volume barbell intensity, and some high(er) volume bodyweight pressing practice. This strength practice is my reliable bred and butter or meat and vegetable. I routinely have 130kg on the bar and worked up to 4 reps full range and when really balanced to 8 freestanding. And I got some decent one reps on the paralletes. Definitely weight loss from aerobic work helped.

So my modalities are Kettlebell, Barbell, Bodyweight.
I train with iron, with wood (rings, parallettes, Sprossenwand)
I train strength, endurance and stretching and some mind emptying through sitting with posture on a cushion.

I am very pleased with my evolution of training and I feel that everything is important to me for balanced health.
I will continue the process, the rest of 2016 and through 2017.

Thanks to all the Ladies and Gentlemen on this great forum.

Hello,

@Harald Motz
Congrats for all your achievements !

Did you train both A+A and strength simultaneously are did you do one after the other, with a "strict line" between ?

Do you have any goal for 2017 ?

For my humble 2016 training review it would be something like:
=> Achieve Simple. It is my main satisfaction this year.

Otherwise, I wanted to test for several month, different protocols to compare them:
I have always kept daily swings.

=> high rep sets and short rests on bodyweight only with pull ups, push ups, pistols and dragon flag. It ended witth quite good aerobic base and good muscular endurance. It built also strength, but with extremely long workout session. As such, I am not sure it would be "time efficient" by SF standards.

=> weighted contrast protole with pull ups, push ups and squats + dragon flag as my favorite ab work. I thought it would be interesting to work slow with heavy weight, and then (fast with light weight / no weight). I was a bit disapointed about that because it increased above all power. Strength remained more or less the same.

=> Get my current minimalistic routine based on OAOL PU + weighted pistol + heavy swings + weighted chin ups. I never felt that strong ! I tested power on a punching bag and it maintains perfectly my previous level.

Otherwise, I ran my way until front lever that I can now maintain for 3s.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My focus was returning to deadlift competition after no meets in 2015. I pulled conservatively, hit 330 lbs. in March and 350 in November after having gotten close to my lifetime best of 364 by pulling 360 in December of 2014. Onward and upward, and I'm going to try to continue to do two meets each year and will remain in the 148 lb. class, lifting raw and not using a belt.

I have returned, after a long absence, to doing both swings and getups in my training. The getup has, in the past, irritated the damaged cartilage in my upper back with anything heavier than 12 kg. I am up to a gigantic 14 kg now :) and, so far, my back is tolerating it. I am, due to years of bad running, limiting my getups to the hand for the most part. Swings are going well - I can easily do 100 1h swings with a 24 kg in less than 5 minutes now and it wasn't hard to reach that point.

I also led my first Flexible Steel workshops - 3 of them, in NYC, in Prague with @Pavel Macek as host and co-leader, and on Long Island. I am completing my first full year as administrator of this forum, a job that began when StrongFirst rolled out new forum software in September, 2015.

-S-

For me, 2016 will be the year when I discovered my second love, kettlebells ( I got married to my first love on May 28th). It was also a year of discovering that there are soooo many programs out there, and choosing is not always easy. Started S&S, and thought I had a progression plan, until I came up with the idea of getting certified in 2017. So it was back to the drawing board, I thought, but thanks to the excellent advice of you wonderful people here, I have my plan of attack ready.
My goal for 2017 is to stick to S&S and ROP, followed by the Chief's prep plan, and get me that SFG I certificate :)
Wishing you all and the entire SFG community a wonderful Merry Christmas,

Jan

Great idea, Harald! I'll do the same.

It's been a phenomenal year really, and I don't say all this to brag, but just to show that this stuff WORKS. It hasn't always been this way for me in physical training, trust me on this! It's just that now that I'm on the right track, the progress seems to accumulate, like a snowball rolling downhill.

I came into 2016 as my 3rd year of kettebell and strength training, just having just completed a round of Al Ciampa's "Lazy Endurance" swing protocol in late 2015 with lots of heavy 1H swings (32kg). That definitely stepped up my ability to work with heavy weights and increased my strength and hinge power quite a bit. 2015 was actually a great year from start to finish as well, with SFG I prep and cert and starting to teach kettlebell sessions to others. But, this is about 2016... so:
  • Kettlebell -- I made the most progress with snatches this year. They used to be my weakest lift, now one of the strongest. I actually snatched 32kg once (2 x 3, right side only) and the 28kg for several sets too. This after snatching the 24kg over 3,000 times this year. It was rough going at first, had to be humble and drop back to 16kg and 20kg for a while, but I got there and really got a lot out of the heavy snatch protocols, again under Al's guidance. Also met the women's Sinister standard in May 2016. I did not train for that directly, but it came about from the heavy swing protocols and then TSC training.
  • Bodyweight -- Progress with handstands, pull-ups, push-ups, hollow rocks/holds, lunges, and other bodyweight skills. Put to use some of what I learned in March 2015 at the bodyweight 1-day course, and also got a good refresher at the Strength Retreat in Oct 2016.
  • Barbell -- Held steady with the deadlift at 250 lb max, but felt that I learned a bit more about the lift. More of this in the future. Other than that, very little time with the barbell this year.
  • Mobility and Flexibility -- Continued yoga regularly all year, with one or two classes per week, and a bit of practice on my own with sun salutations or just yoga flow for movement prep. Flexibility is decent and I'm learning the subtle differences between flexibility and mobility, and how to work with my body on both. Biggest improvements I've had this year are in T-spine mobility. Progress takes so long, but it's worth it.
  • Endurance and aerobic training -- Continued bike riding with a regular road ride almost every Sunday of 30-60 miles. Last part of the year stepped it up quite a bit in volume. The intent of this effort was to build my aerobic base. At this time I feel the effort has been successful and that I'm on the right track. I am feeling better and stronger than ever, at 49 years old! I truly believe in the power of LSD and other aerobic training, for health and for providing the basis for other physical training. Also did a bit of running early in the year as part of the 104b protocol. Over the course of 7 weeks, built up volume progressively and then ran a half marathon in 2:15 on 3/5/16. Then promptly quit running... Oh well it'll come back around soon.
  • Competitions -- Did both TSCs this year, both as Women's Open division. Spring TSC in Loveland, CO: 260 lb deadlift, 5 pull-ups, 100 snatches 16 kg. Fall in Corpus Christi, TX: 255 lb deadlift, 4 pull-ups, 133 snatches 16kg. Killed the snatches! Held steady on the rest. Also did a local powerlifting competition in July: Bench Press 115 lb, Squat 160 lb, DL 235 lb.
  • SFG II skills -- Practicing and learning the new skills of push press, C&J, double snatch, bent press, and windmill in preparation for Feb 18-19 2017 in Portland, OR. Can't wait!
  • Teaching kettlebells -- Probably 50 students and 120 sessions this year. It is an honor to pass along some of what I have learned to others. I have met some great people and made some exceptional friendships through teaching.
  • Logging -- Keeping good records and a training log is really important for my continued engagement, motivation, and understanding of progress.
  • Recreation -- Plenty of gas left in the tank for some kayaking, SUP, mountain biking, and hiking. I think I should do more of this, though... not just training to train, but training to ENJOY LIFE! Not that the training is not enjoyable in itself, but more recreation is a goal for 2017.
  • Learning -- SO MUCH, largely from being an active reader and participant on this forum. Grateful for all of you!
I guess to sum it up, I feel that my strength development has really come a long way this year. Consistency has definitely been the key. Al Ciampa's programs and expert guidance have been the guiding force. I don't think I've been sick a single day all year, and other than a couple of minor tweaks, I've had no injuries either. This is quite remarkable to make this much progress with hardly any setbacks.

Looking forward to 2017; SFG II, building a kettlebell studio at home, and working on a writing project with Al. Also intending to step up my meditation and breathing practice. I believe some more great things lie ahead, and I am still very glad to be here.

It was a good year. After completing several of Mr. Ciampa's swing protocols in Jan. I began training form my first TSC. The first thing I needed to do was learn the snatch. Had to start somewhere. I dieted strictly for it also, wanting to get down to 180 lb. to try and improve my pull ups. For the TSC I weighed 188 didn't quite make my target weight. My dead was 365, just 5 pull ups, and 115 snatches with the 20K competing as a Master.

I then took a week off and went turkey hunting with archery. I scored two nice Toms.

I then began Mr. Ciampa's Lil' Lumberjack snatch protocol. I began using the 55 lb. KB and then moved up to the 32K. I just wasn't recovering from the 32K bouts. I ended up with a case of elbow tendonitis. Mr. Ciampa suggested that I drop out of the protocol and work with my 32K on my own, using less volume per session. This worked wonderfully and I added the Daily Dose Deadlift program to my snatching. My plan was to test in Oct., take two weeks off and then begin training for the 2017 spring TSC. On Oct. 3 I DL'd 375 and again got 115 snatches with the 45 lb. in 5 min.

I then took two weeks off from training to archery deer hunt. On Oct. 30 I was moving a stand and fell, severely braking my left calcaneus (heel). I had reconstructive surgery Nov. 18 and will be in a cast until Jan. 5. I have been able to do KB presses and chin ups.

I'm not sure what the future will hold. Hopefully I can build back up to DL'ing again. I also wouldn't mind giving Mr. Ciampa's aerobic protocol a try. I have always liked to run but it always played heck with my back. Now I'll have to see if my heel can take it. If not maybe I can start taking daily walks and doing sudoku puzzles.

I've had a year I'd rather forget.

I popped a vertebra in my back just after Christmas for the umpteenth time, just after I'd recovered from a broken vertebra in my neck a few months earlier.

Then when I was making some good progress I contracted Ross river virus & Barmah forest virus from mosquito bites I got on a camping trip. I'd never even heard Barmah river let alone the bloody virus named after it.

All up I've trained for less than 4 months this year & most of that has been rehab.

They say whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but I'm not so sure.

I feel as weak as a little girl compared to how I was a few years ago.

Last edited:
2016 in Review:
  • Spartan Race (super)
  • Red Rocks NV Climbing
  • Zion Utah Climbing
  • Colorado various rock climbing and mountaineering trips
  • Canadian Rockies Alpine Climbing
  • Dances With Dirt 20 km off road running race
  • Weekly rock climbing and bouldering (indoor and out)
  • S&S closing in on Simple - hampered by inconsistency due to travel (NW during travel)
  • Most upper body training now 'on hold' due to torn labrum and biceps tendon impingement

I spent a lot of this year very dissatisfied with my training. I kept program hopping, hoping that I'd hit on the right thing.
Then in August I started Tae Kwon Do and had a focus for my training. I was walking round with tight hips and a sore back before this.
I ended up off work for a couple of months with severe depression, Tae Kwon Do and lifting helped me through this, and it gave me the space to make some big changes in my life.
I started back on S&S a few weeks ago and will keep that up until January, then onwards and upward with TSC prep after that. Hopefully I can build some good endurance as mentioned above now I'm moving better.

Gosh, after reading through all these posts, I feel like a real baby not having broken anything, gotten injured, or gotten severely ill this year.

2016 for me:
  1. Had our fourth child (first son)
  2. Gained 20lbs
  3. Weakest I've been in a long time
I broke up my year into seasons. Started with a few months of S&S, followed by a few months of barbell, followed by a few months of conditioning for elk season. The year was like a yo-yo. Everything gained in one phase was lost after the others. The seasonal approach worked well in 2015 so I'm not sure what's different but 2017 will be planned out differently.

It has been a StrongFirst year. My goals were SFG1 and SFL. It was a personal challenge, as I am not a professional trainer.

I reached Simple in January.
Then ROP up to 24kg, and Brett Jones SFG1 prep program.
I attended the Flexible steel 1 cert in July in Prague.
I attended SFG1 in August in Budapest (great experience, highly recommended).
I attended SFL in November in Prague (even greater experience - the best cert I attended so far). Still have to achieve the bench test, but I knew this before going to the cert: I had bad technique, and learnt to properly bench there.
I also passed the FMS1.

So far, I am happy with 2016 achievement: SFG1, one bench away of the SFL, FMS1, Flexible steel 1. Increase of my understanding/feeling of the lifts, thus of my strength (strength is a skill). Game changing evolution of my coaching ability (my current student could confirm). Almost achieved front split, should get there in less than two months.

For 2017
Priority: achieve a decent bench press to finish my SFL cert.
Then I will continue to work on upper body strength. I want my bodyweight barbell military press.
Probably SFB cert.
Flexibility: achieve the side split.

This is a great thread, as we move towards the end of 2016. In terms of what I learned/achieved this year.
  • Started BJJ and loved it though realised that the time commitment was challenging.. will revisit this year though may switch to M Thai as I have a background in striking.
  • BJJ tames the ego.
  • Hit Simple in Jaunary and rediscovered why I love S and S. Have read the book athe least once a month in 2016.
  • Hit max pull ups of 12.
  • 1.25 BW bench 1.75 squat and 2x DL.
  • Compound barbell lifts with 2 min rest periods work wonders. A 1.5 x Bench is still an itch I have, but not sure if it's feasible with shoulder issues.
  • Realised the importance of LSS..committeed to a least one 60 min run each week but was hitting two..felt great as a result.
  • Need to work more with mobility/flexibility. I have used OS resets throughout 2016 along with deadbugs. Might be time to implement relax into stretching.
  • Single kettlebell programs work much better for body recomp than double kb. No idea why.
  • Finished the year with 48kg 2 handed swing, 44 kg TGU.
  • I have consciously enjoyed the road not the destination. My ego has accepted that I'm not a marine, special forces operative or Olympic weight lifter.
  • Pavel is a genius.
  • Procrastination is my biggest obstacle to progress.
  • Keep leaning into the hard edges in all aspects of life.
Goals.
Achieve SFG 1
Practise Muay Thai at least once a week.
Explore how feasible it would be to be a beast tamer in 2018. #positivemindset
Start small coaching groups
Pistol squats and OAPU are goals out there somewhere in the future.

Finally it's a privilege and and an honour to be part of an organisation such as Strongfirst. Many thank to @Steve Freides for looking after this forum.
Happy new year.

Thanks Harold and all. It's great to see your progress. I had quite a journey this year.
  • I enjoyed the first 3 months on some of the experimental snatch and press protocols with great results. Got my first 32kg press. Later I got it for 5 reps.
  • The middle 6 month or so I spent on an experimental biofeedback based program, which ended up guiding me towards a lot of 1 arm barbell snatches and heavy partials in the rack. I also pushed my Deadlift up 30lbs and significant increased my grip strength. This type of training was very different for me, but I grew to love it.
  • The last three months I went all in on heavy rack work and did what is essentially a version of Bob Hoffman/York Barbell's Functional Isometrics. I had some pretty amazing results only practicing once a week. My top range quarter squat went form 350 to 765. My rack pull is over 725 with straps and My over head press lockout was up 50%. I also put on 20lbs that seems to be mainly muscle. With the fast progress I'll definitely be sticking with it.
  • Next year I'm looking forward to more of the same - Learning and Growing. I'm also looking forward to working some daily easy movement back into my life.
I think my main evolution this year has been thinking about my training in years and decades for the first time in my life. Not that I'm planning long term specific goals, just that I'm steering my training while looking way down the road. I'm looking at my program from the angle of the risk of stopping and how can I build movement and strength more deeply into my life, habits and identity. I'm enjoying the movements and I'm getting excited about what 5 years of this or that will do to my body.

I also learned that there are a lot of ways to get strong. Find someone who deserves to be listened to and really listen. Practice what you learn for months not weeks. Things tend to turn out well. I learned this in the sense that I experienced it profoundly and now I know it.

I guess the final big change on my end has been a lot more respect for the basics, for the principles, for consistency, for showing up with intention for years at at a time. And almost no interest in analyzing new programs, or this movement plus that movements, or sets and reps. For me a lot of these questions went away when I experienced the fact that if I care enough I can just try it and find out.

Congrats to all on another orbit! And Best wishes for next year. May we all stay brothers and sisters in strength.

EDIT: Cant believe I forgot to mention I took up Steel scrolling and nail bending!

@TravisDirks Have you been doing full range lifts? If so, are you doing the rack work before, after, or on a separate day? I have always felt heavy rack work, isometrics, and partials are the key to barbell progress.

How goes the short bending? Did you get the 2ga. 60D yet?

Congrats on your progress and revelations. Most people never achieve enlightenment.

@TravisDirks Have you been doing full range lifts? If so, are you doing the rack work before, after, or on a separate day? I have always felt heavy rack work, isometrics, and partials are the key to barbell progress.

How goes the short bending? Did you get the 2ga. 60D yet?

Congrats on your progress and revelations. Most people never achieve enlightenment.
Hey Geoff, thanks much! Aside from bending and occasionally pressing a bell when I pass it, I have not been doing anything but near-lockout/unlocked supports for the past 3 months at least. (Here is a link to the podcast where I first learned about this method) Last month I thought about working some of that strength down in the rack, but I decide to keep going until the strength gains started slowing down. So far they haven't, though I have had to put more rest between sessions. I'm not sure if this is due to the heavier weights or the extra stress in life lately. Probably both I suppose!

My short bending has been stalled for a couple months, as I developed an "overuse" injury in my wrist. I never tried a 60D.:( I had it in mind to be able to do 8 40D's in a session before I tried. I never got past 4 and the number dropped as the injury developed. I reached out to Jedd Johnson for advice and I've been following it. So far I've got 1/2 the range of motion back and I think I'll be back to full steam in a month. My plan is to then slowly start scrolling again(more full body, less wrist) and spend a few weeks on sledge hammer routines to do some bulletproofing before I reintroduce short bending.

That's the plan anyway...That said I've got a 4' long half inch round bar in my closet right behind me that's been whispering to me. I might have to see if I can gold fish it on on New years... or when I stand up... I'll try and remember strength comes with patience!

How is your short bending going?

@TravisDirks Typically that is how it is done. Move your overload work down the pins, increasing the strong range of motion, until full range of near. Pressing off pins, squatting off pins, and pulling off pins, before or after your full range lifts, depending on desired training effect.

I bend nearly everyday. It's easy to just pick up, usually followed by some gripper closes. I have not been lifting consistently or with purpose since about June.

My wraps are cut down to 4"x10" and I bend with them touching, not pistol grip. 2x6"10ga. is a tough bend for me. I have some tough 40D 5"4ga that is a solid close. One batch of 60D 6" 2ga I can close anytime with much effort, another batch that is very challenging. The 60D 4ga that most hardware stores have is a lot easier than a hard to find substantial 60D 2ga, but I have a good source for them.

I am nose levering a 12lbx31"+5lb. Slim lever 12lbx31".

The first 6months of the year training was awesome, the second half life became challenging and training got derailed. Surprisingly I did not lose a lot of strength in the last 6 months.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom