all posts post new thread

Old Forum Training the KB swing for strength,power and conditioning.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
stephen

looks like a great rotation although I am surprised you don't do the Oly lift day before the heavy swings> I would want my speed day before my heavy day but that's just me.

@mark

tbh i have just changed it, this trip,  for  bit of variety after doing  speedwork first for a few months, so i might swap it around back after my current cycle finishes :)

So Mark, this swing program is once a week only, no other swing sessions during the week? or if so how would you structure them?

I would like to try this but am currently working through KB Strong so will wait. Just wanted to clarify before embarking on this.

Pat

I  train three days a week. One day is swings and their variations, the next cleans,press and squats and snatches on the third. these are the main lifts I focus on progressing and I do other accessory type exercises as well depending on state of my old injuries and current improvements ,lol.

The approach above is one way to do it,especially if you have never trained the basic moves for volume and loading before. I am also doing ballistics on the other days as well, just different versions.

I have had great luck training a lift or exercise once a week as long as I push it hard on that day and make sure to cycle it.

Max Vo2 snatch training was supposed to be a 6-8 week 'phase" but I ended up doing it once a week for three years straight and made continued gains throughout.

I do some clubbell and body weight exercises as well in a session.Usually 3-4 basic exercises per .  I'm 56 now and my recovery is limited so I have to be careful with how much total loading I do.

I also do lots of stretching , mobility and self myo fascial release so that's a big part of my training as well.

Here's a link to my blog of the past 9 years. pretty much everyworkout in that time:

http://rifsblog.blogspot.com 

Again a great program Rif. I will keep that in mind. I am doing Swings 3 days a week and adjusting volume/intensity to wave it.

milkman

when all I could do was one arm swings I trained it three days a week, light, medium and heavy. I used the 32, the 24 and the 16., each had it's own day.I adjusted my sets and reps accordingly and ended up doing 100/100 one arms with the 16 kg which, despite it's light weight, was not easy at all.
I ended up with 400 one arms with the 32 kg and 600 with the 24kg.  It was a great experiment and I got much stronger in a number of ways.

Great post Rif.

The article you wrote for the manual years back the detailed the same approach has been a huge part of how I program the swing, and has contributed greatly to my own swing odyssey the past few months.

Rif,

You and Tracy are such a huge inspiration to me. So far the KB swing has helped me burn 2 more inches off my waist. Love it.

David

thanks and I'm glad you are still getting use out of the program!

MilkManX

thank you and it's always great to hear that, as well as your impressive results! Keep it going!

Mark

Thanks for posting all this. Its times like this that I realize while I know something, there is always room for more knowledge.

Sean

OK. Just to make sure that I have this figured out:

Yesterday I did my swing "test". I chose 12 minutes as my time (I love the PM). I used a 24 Kg bell and performed 16 sets of 10 two-handed swings in that time. My average heart rate was 149 and my maximum was 158 during the test. (My highest recent observed maximum heart rate is 165). I pushed hard, but made sure my swing form was good. If I understand Rif's program correctly, next Wednesday I should do 120 swings (75% of 160 ) in the same manner as I did yesterday. A week after that 128. A week after that 144. A week after that 168, hopefully in about 12 minutes.

The following week I would do 126 swings (75% of 168), etc........  At some point (perhaps when I am averaging 20 swings per minute) I go up to a 32Kg bell.

Do I have it right?

Thanks - Jim

lol Geoff, you're right. what was I thinking? basic wave loaded cycling based on actual, current numbers? Could never work :)

thanks

Jim

I think my biggest mistake in writing this protocol was telling people to choose a time frame, as if completing more reps in any specific time frame is the goal. The goal is to increase the total number of reps done with a specific weight.  

If the new PR takes a little longer that's fine. I asked people to chose a time frame based on the idea that not everybody wants to train for the same amount of time but this is NOT a Met-Con workout.

People should do their next set when their HR comes down to a reasonable place. Of course you CAN make it a met con workout but that is not the  main goal.

But you DO have it right. Just be more concerned with strong powerful sets and not so much max HR or getting started again too soon, even if it takes 15 minutes or more to finish. and when you reach a level of total number of reps you are satisfied with, you can maintain that level of strength and conditioning or go to the next bell, or swing variation.

Well done.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a game changer.

"I think my biggest mistake in writing this protocol was telling people to choose a time frame, as if completing more reps in any specific time frame is the goal. The goal is to increase the total number of reps done with a specific weight."  

Great program, Rif.  If one were to swing, say, only twice a week, what should the other day look like?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom