all posts post new thread

Old Forum Training the KB swing for strength,power and conditioning.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
"This, ladies and gentlemen, is a game changer."

Pavel and Rif,

It sure is for me. I think I have always emphasized the time element too much, as though the goal was to squeeze more work into a shorter time frame. Now "Strong First" makes even more sense to me.

Many thanks to you, Rif for getting through to me and for your patience.

Jim

This year is the year I am actually re-learning progressive overload. Nice work, Mark, this will get used in the next few months.

I just hate getting out of breath :))

Honestly, I don't want to start the next set before I have finished semi recovering from the first  as I don't want to compromise the intensity of the next set. This is especially true when doing even semi high rep sets (10-20)

enjoy Craig, for me the quality of  the total work done is as important as the total amount of work

Jim,

lol, no worries man, it was my mistake in the original text ; thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Rif -- great thread, treating the swing like the big lift that it is and not some dance move.  Your article in the Book of Strength and Conditioning really stood out.

I've recently been doing hinge-style sumo deadlifts.  Is it correct to think of hinging as one big continuum, heavy sumos on one end, light cardio swings on the the other, and heavyish un-cardio swings in the middle, but on the strength side?

Matt

that's precisely the point. the swing is, can be, a "big lift" just as the other big lifts are IF it's approached that way . and yes about the swing and the continuum. I like that idea. one big hinge continuum.
And you can add in low bar power squats as well. It's a hinge masquerading as a squat :)

Rif,

I am doing the PM.  Twice each week, 12 minutes of swings.  Each set ends at a comfortable stop.  Each succeeding set begins when I am ready.  Seems to be a pretty good workout.  Is there a way I can incorporate some of your ideas without planning on doing certain percentages of some predetermined volume and counting total reps?  Would it be an improvement if I limited each set to 10 reps rather than some undefined level of exertion that equates to a comfortable stop?

I like the idea of just doing ten reps per set and you could switch bell weights each workout and just vary the total number of sets accordingly. Or, with the very heavy bells you could just do 5 rep sets.

Cool!  I will experiment with alternating the 24 for sets of ten for one workout and the 32 for sets of five the other workout and see how it goes.

I started this program three days ago. I made sets like this: 15 reps, 20 reps, 10 reps. Between sets i made a easy jog and fast and loose drils. I did total 4 sets of this 15-20-10 combination and then i did 2 more sets of 20 reps. Total swings 220 in 30 mins. Technique was in first place of course! Tough and brutal training, but after it i was also very strong and confident. In the next day, i had soreness on my glutes and hamstring. I can't wait till next week, just in three days.

This is great, and just what we're here for. Many thanks for putting it out there, Mark Reifkind.

I hate when I think I'm crushing something and come to find out I'm doing it wrong. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Mark, thanks again for putting this out there. Its going to make life so much better now. Up until now I was doing 50-100 reps and grinding through them. As I would do them I forced myself to remember everyting I was supposed to do. Oh well, back to it tomorrow.

Rif,

I must be the slow one here. When you say, "I like the idea of just doing ten reps per set and you could switch bell weights each workout and just vary the total number of sets accordingly." do you mean vary the total number of sets to make the total volume (sets X weight) equal?

In other words, on my "hard day" next week (a 75% week) I will do a total of 120 reps with a 24 Kg bell. For my other (light) swing day that week could I do 144 swings with a 20 Kg bell or 180 swings with a 16 Kg bell? Each of those would equal the same total weight moved.

Is that what you meant?

I apologize if I'm over-thinking this but I really want to get it right.

Thanks for the great thread.

Jim

Jeff : let us know how it goes I'm betting you feel stronger fast.

Robert S : No worries, glad to help. Getting everyone a stronger swing is the goal.

Mark Limbaga. Now it's time to bump up my doubles as well.:))

Sean

You weren't doing it "wrong" just differently and that's ok. I think you'll find this method more strength producing and less "conditioning" And,, as Dan John says, never make your ballistic a 'fast grind".

Jim

that answer was in response to someone who didn't want to follow the percentage protocol exactly in his program. I told him he could switch the weights out and vary the sets/ rep accordingly,

for example one week he could do two hands with the 32 kg, the next one arm swings with the 24 kg, etc. Each of those exercises and weights would have different sets and reps schemes as well as total volume.

as far as this part of your questions:
"do you mean vary the total number of sets to make the total volume (sets X weight) equal?"

Yes. if you are using a lighter weight and higher reps per set you would need less sets to get the same total. It doesn't have to be exact numbers either , just the ball park.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom