all posts post new thread

Old Forum Training the one-half BW KB press: answers to any questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Matt, if you want, the last exercise in the max effort day sequence can be a one to two rep set to failure( again, no psych, no adrenaline) in any basic pressing exercise. I used to do close grip pushups to a barbell in the bottom of a power rack with 100 lb plate on my back for a set of 30 + and 25+.
Or incline db presses for 20-30 reps with fairly heavy weight.

The point is that it is a no psych max effort .The last reps in a high rep set FEEL like a max effort lift.It doesn't add much to the start of the lift but it will make you stronger and tougher.

I would suggest regular pushups on floor, to a bar or on rings, handstand pushups against the wall, dips, double kb press  on even double floor press. use your imagination to work what's weak.

Fantastic article Mark!

I have a new baby (now 17 days old) and my available time to train is drastically reduced. Your program for increasing the kettlebell press looks ideal for my new situation.

My only question is – how long are the rest periods for the assistance work? You specified for the Tactical Pullup (30 seconds) but I didn’t see it listed for the other assistance work.

I want to run your 7-week program and then retest my C&P.

Thanks!

Thank you for the article sir!  Me and a buddy are both training for the level 2 in September and started your program on Tuesday.  Today will be Day 2.

First thought after the first day is the DOMS in the triceps, haven't done tricep isolation work in awhile.  Felt good though!

Ben

for assistance work , which is for hypertrophy of the 'weaker' muscles I would use the same rest period as the work period, or slightly shorter. One doesn't need to really push the weights up with the assistance work as it is just that, for assistance and muscle size.

Min

the DOMS should settle down once you get back to it regularly. You don't want to be sore in this program, thanks and glad you are liking it!

Hi Mark,

Question on day 2 weight selection (probably obvious but I'm missing something).

When you say "SAME WEIGHT" on Thursday, do you mean the 60% 1RM weight used on Monday, or using the same weight for all reps on all Thursdays (but something different than what was used on Monday).

Could you use an example, maybe someone who now can press 32kg 1RM?  When you mention "goal weight" on the second day assistance work, is that 32 or something heavier, say a 36kg?  Example, for  day 2, if someone's 1RM is 32kg, then 60% is around 20kg.  On week 2, you stack 2 10kg kbs to get to 20?  Or something else?  On weeks 3 and 4, it seems like a 20kg would be light for someone who can press a 32kg with 2 mins of rest between sets.  Seems like on the BUP you won't be able to go as heavy as with something like the floor press.

Am I missing something?

edwin

Yes, this is poorly written as it keeps coming up. Same weight means to use the same weight bell for all of the 1-6 single reps on that specific max effort exercise.

Remember, the max effort day is ALWAYS a specialized variety exercise. NEVER the standard kb press.

i.e bottoms up press, 24 kg x 1 x 6 sets  ( you would use the same weight for ALL six single).

I have to re write that more clearly it seems.

THursdays weights are NOT RELATED to Monday's weight at all.Monday is always 60% or so to maximize speed and acceleration. Thursday is always about marching up to the heaviest bell you can use for 1- 6 singles.

THink of it in bench press language. You go 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 205 x 1(100%)  210 x 1 x 3 singles ( miss on fourth try.)
The next week you do the same thing and get the fourth try.

The next week you switch to floor press and start over looking for a new max.

This help?

Mr. Reifkind:

Thank you for taking the time to write the program. Hopefully, you have time to respond to this inquiry.

My question is in regard to the Assistance Work. Simply put, are these exercises to take place following the Max Effort: Thursday press variations, are they to be performed on days where the press, or its variations, are not practiced, or are they simply optional overall.

Your assistance is appreciated.

fdnyceguy

assistance exercises are to be done both on speed day  and max effort day. and not on other days. they are not optional . they are key to build up the mass and strength of the weak muscle in the classic lift.

Coach Rif,

I just finished my 4th week this evening.

Week 1 = BUP 28 kg x 3 singles per side

Week 2 = BUP 28 kg x 4 singles per side (PR by one single)

Week 3 = Stacked press 36 kg left / 32 kg right x 6 singles per side

Week 4 (earlier tonight) = Stacked press 38 kg left x 1 solid rep (PR), then 4 additional with too much side lean.  Right side was 34 kg x 5 singles (PR).

My issue on missing the military press has always been too much side lean.  It tends to happen when my fist is about eye level.  I need the 40 kg to make my level 2 requirement.  I have made that weight already on occasion, but obviously want to be nice and solid at it with no side lean going into this fall's certification

The side lean always seems to happen at anything above 36 kg (again, 40 kg is 1/2 BW for me).  I can easily press the 36 kg cold on either side, but with the 40 it just seems like I can't stay tight and tall for the duration of the rep.

Is this something that certain special exercises and/or assistance exercises would help?  Or, is it more likely a technique flaw?

Thanks in advance!

tony

this is usually a case of not 'zipping' up the  midsection tightly enough during the max part of a max effort. part of the 'cure' is just focusing on NOT giving in as you press through the sticking point. Part of the assistance work might be more lateral midsection work ( oblique work, single arm farmers walks,flag work ,etc)as well>

a possible good max effort rep move might be see saw presses as well. video would help. it's better for you to MISS a rep at that position than side bench and make it.

also perhaps do the speed work with bands or a little heavier bell or less rest to simulate the conditions.

hope this helps

mark

Rif,

My question is about strong side vs stronger side.  My best press is 40KG on the right, but only 36KG on the left.  Should a use different weights for each side on my 60% speed work?  Also, on Max Effort days is it OK to work up to a heavier weight on the right side?

Thanks, Ben

Thanks Rif!

I was thinking that side/oblique work might be in order moreso than saggital plane core work.  A couple months back our gym got one of those "landmine" devices and I felt like it was helping to get me stronger through the middle.  Then some knucklehead broke it, and I haven't been able to use it since then.  Thankfully it got repaired recently, so I think I will start going back to that.

On the speed days, the 24 kg still feels like a challenge by the time I get to the end of my sets.  Should I stay with that for a bit longer before adding a band?

On an unrelated note - I tried those SS bar good mornings off pins you suggested.  I did them last Friday, an my back was cooked! (In a good way).  I even stayed pretty conservative and only did a few singles at 225.  I should be able to come back next ME session and add 20+ lbs no problem, but it was definitely a humbling lift!

One other question that I just thought of: next week will be floor press week. I can floor press the 48 kg comfortably on both sides, and do not have access to a heavier KB. Would you suggest going higher in the reps with the 48, maybe shooting for a set of 5? Or should I do a few singles with the 48, then grab a heavier dumbbell and do a few more singles with that (we have them up to 130 lbs)?

Thanks!

tony

the landmine is a good idea! on the floor press remember that the goal is SIX singles with the weight. that should make a difference

if not go to triples, not fives.

OK Coach Rif,

KB floor press felt awesome today.  Started off with singles with the 48.  Each single felt stronger than the one before it, so after 4 singles per side I finished with two triples per side.  Next week should I look for six triples per side?

Also, for the loaded cleans I just want to say they felt awesome today as well.  In weeks 1&2 doing a BU clean with 28 kg was a challenge, and today I felt fantastic with 32 kg - 36 and 40 kg feel right around the corner!

Thanks for the program and the follow up coaching with everything!!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom