all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training to be "Fast and Loose"

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt

Level 3 Valued Member
I am wondering if there are specific ways to train to improve/become more "fast and loose".
Can it be improved by training selection, or is it more genetic? Or is it more just an independent part of training - separate drills on top of any program?
For example - choosing things like skipping, weighted dips/pulls, swings?
Or doing 5x5 deads but including a lot of mobility work?
Or keeping reps to 3max and randomising sets?
Or somehow gauging fatigue levels - obviously the more energetic you are the more kick you have when training, but how to keep that "kick" when fatigued?
Thanks.

I don't know if this fits your brief Matt, but...

Whenever I've trained for speed, the speed work was always done religiously before any weight work. That was in boxing and kickboxing gyms. In those circles speed work always comes before strength work in a training session. You just can't fire your muscles quickly when they are fatigued.

In the context of strength training, the fast and loose is a form of active recovery. It's not training for speed, just moving quickly to reset the neurological systems and help pump out the lactates and metabolites produced during heavy lifting efforts.

Hi Tarzan,

Thanks - I was wondering about, say, a boxer as an example of what I meant, so it does fit my brief. Yet you're right, I shouldn't have used "fast and loose" out of context.

I guess I am thinking of changing my training, as now I am say - consistent, strong, feel heavy and swings forced. I crank them out but they've got zero snap. I'd rather, in comparison, be more flexible, light but strong. Not sure if it is just fatigue, accumulated fatigue, or my training itself. My poor hip mobility a big factor and what I have been trying to improve for a while.
It's hard to gauge as I can hit some high percentage rep maxes consistently for the small number of lifts I do, but the swings are a bit lame.

Hope you're on the mend too!

Some training schemes can de-train you for speed without doubt Matt. Anything with a fixed weight or rep scheme can tend to go that way if the speed of the reps isn't managed properly, especially if you do too much. It's an adaptation of the myosin isoforms in your muscle protein structures.

I think some people read strong-first and interpret it as strong is enough for all purposes. I see it more as a basis for other forms of athleticism. The strong first mantra holds true but it needs to be kept in context, training for strength, power and speed should be approached differently in each case.

If you read through this article below, you should get a better understanding of different training approaches for strength, power and speed. It could help explain why you are getting less snappy as you get stronger. It's specific to cycling but could be adapted to many forms of sport specific training.
AIS power training for sprinters — aboc Cycle Coaching
The further you get into the article the clearer things become. There's some absolute gold in there about over training and recovery as well, particularly in regards to setting new PB's.

Matt, whatever your goals, you sounds like you need a break. Try a few days or a week or even a few weeks off. Don't do nothing but instead focus on recovery.

-S-

Thanks Steve - good advice. I was planning on that - except my weighted chins were not too shabby this morning. Yet I will focus on some mobility and just chill out a little on the training.
My goals are experimental too - I am trying to use a physiological change to create a mental change.

Hi Tarzan,

Great article. Thanks. I will have to re-read it a few times to absorb all of the knowledge there. I am impressed by the attitude of the author / AIS.
Would be great to be able to have 2.5 to train! Did you ever train with him/them? I like that it's specific to cycling too, as I crank out a ride 3 times a week (only for 1 hour), trying to include a 500m sprint say (a sprint relative to my conditioning/ other training). I've been experimenting with sprint recovery, and also trying to tweak some breathing while sprinting. Actually I am a bit clueless.

But I have to admit after your post and reading the article, I've had an intuitive aha about sprinting - needs to be trained specifically. Seems obvious, but I hadn't thought too deeply about it till now. Thanks again.

Thanks Steve - good advice. I was planning on that - except my weighted chins were not too shabby this morning.
That you can should not be mistaken for an indicator that you should.
Yet I will focus on some mobility and just chill out a little on the training.
Sounds good.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom