all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training When Freezing: Post Yours

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
Temperature: 31 F / -0.5 C
Clothing: sweatpants, Vuori long sleeve tech top, Orvis fleece, North Face beanie, no gloves

Activities:

Upper Split:
  • Crossover Symmetry shoulder routine
  • Barbell Overhead Press
  • Chin Ups
  • EZ Bar Curls
  • EZ Bar Overhead Triceps Extension
  • Palloff press, V-up, barbell ab rollout
Finisher:
  • 2 x 40 kg KB farmers walk for 10 circuits of circular driveway (0.5 mile total)
Notes:

• Beanie gets sweaty, which gets itchy. But if I take it off I get cold. Are there Dri-weave or other tech fabric sweat wicking beanies?

Beanie gets sweaty, which gets itchy. But if I take it off I get cold. Are there Dri-weave or other tech fabric sweat wicking beanies?
Try Merino wool. I’ve put a ton of miles into my smart wool cap and haven’t had ichiness. My carhartt one seems pretty good too.

But I also tend to buzz my hair off in the winter so they stay on better too. Might have something to do with it.

Edit: also here is a swing workout I did last year in the cold. Rocking my S&S physique.

Last edited:
I have not made it a habit to train outside in the cold. Shoveling snow would be about it for me.

2 x 40 kg KB farmers walk for 10 circuits of circular driveway (0.5 mile total)
If you haven't tried it already, one-sided heavy kettlebell carries are a real treat. The magic lies not in just doing it but rather in pretending you have an equal weight in the other hand. I like this cue, which I learned years ago although I can't remember which Pavel book it was in, for everything from one-side barbell deadlifts (called suitcase deadlifts) to kettlebell carries. It really fires up the side muscles on the non-bearing side. I used to pick up a heavy bell in my basement gym, walk up a flight of stairs with it, walk around the first floor of the house, then back down the stairs to the basement gym to put the bell down, switch hands, and repeat the circuit with using the other side. My route took maybe a minute to complete for one side. For me, a 32 kg kettlebell was a good size for this, obviously bigger folks would go heavier.

-S-

Temperature: 31 F / -0.5 C
Clothing: sweatpants, Vuori long sleeve tech top, Orvis fleece, North Face beanie, no gloves

Activities:

Upper Split:
  • Crossover Symmetry shoulder routine
  • Barbell Overhead Press
  • Chin Ups
  • EZ Bar Curls
  • EZ Bar Overhead Triceps Extension
  • Palloff press, V-up, barbell ab rollout
Finisher:
  • 2 x 40 kg KB farmers walk for 10 circuits of circular driveway (0.5 mile total)
Notes:

• Beanie gets sweaty, which gets itchy. But if I take it off I get cold. Are there Dri-weave or other tech fabric sweat wicking beanies?
Smartwool, Coal Headwear

Temperature: 25 F / -3.9C
Clothing: Do-Win weightlifting shoes, sweatpants, Eleiko long sleeve tech top, Orvis fleece, North Face beanie, no gloves

Activities:

• Trap bar walking lunges in the snow

IMG_0464.jpg

• Tall muscle snatch
  • BSQ
  • Reverse hyper, V-up, Russian twist

Notes:

• Limiting factor on the lunges became my hands getting too cold to hold the bar for long
  • Walking in snow in weightlifting shoes is a bit treacherous

Last edited:
If you haven't tried it already, one-sided heavy kettlebell carries are a real treat. The magic lies not in just doing it but rather in pretending you have an equal weight in the other hand. I like this cue, which I learned years ago although I can't remember which Pavel book it was in, for everything from one-side barbell deadlifts (called suitcase deadlifts) to kettlebell carries. It really fires up the side muscles on the non-bearing side. I used to pick up a heavy bell in my basement gym, walk up a flight of stairs with it, walk around the first floor of the house, then back down the stairs to the basement gym to put the bell down, switch hands, and repeat the circuit with using the other side. My route took maybe a minute to complete for one side. For me, a 32 kg kettlebell was a good size for this, obviously bigger folks would go heavier.

-S-

I love 1 sided carries, but not when it's icy. ;)

Clothing: Do-Win weightlifting shoes, sweatpants, Eleiko long sleeve tech top, Orvis fleece, North Face beanie, no gloves

Activities:

Upper Split:

View attachment 19870

• Tall muscle snatch
  • BSQ

Notes:

• Limiting factor on the lunges became my hands getting too cold to hold the bar for long

Waiting for some weightlifter like @Anna C or @Geoff Neupert to point out what I did wrong with the plate loading... ;)

I have not made it a habit to train outside in the cold. Shoveling snow would be about it for me.

-S-
I grew up working construction and I learned quick that it’s easier to carry 2 buckets instead of 1.

Activities:

View attachment 19870

• Tall muscle snatch
  • BSQ

Notes:

it's like watching Rocky movie :eek:

This morning 0 deg C here in the U.K.
Wrapped up warm with a few layers for kettlebells and TRX on the patio, and a little Indian clubs to finish.
Had to wear gloves for kettlebells which are stored in my shed, just too cold to hold with bare hands.

Back
Top Bottom