all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training with a broken finger

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stu

Level 5 Valued Member
IMG_20190818_131153.jpg IMG_20190818_131147.jpg
Thanks to every e who replied to my previous thread about training for a Spartan. Unfortunately, since then, I had an argument with a sledgehammer and lost.

I have quite a badly broken index finger (dominant hand). They have not been able to k-wire or plate it as none of the fragments are big enough to attach to.

As a result, I'm going to be stuck in a splint for at least 8 weeks.

I'm looking for some guidance on continuing training during this time. I realise I'm not going to be able to do much with my right side. Is it worth continuing to train my non dominant side or is this going to cause further problems down the road.

I have accepted that running is probably going to be my go to method of exercise for the coming weeks but would love to maintain as much strength as is realistically possible.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm feeling a little deflated.

Stu

After a rotator cuff surgery (I tore it playing basketball) I spent a couple of months training only one side, including lots of presses, swings and snatches (on the ballistics, mostly with the same total volume I would normally have divided between sides), with no ill effects.

Ouch!!
Sorry to hear of your problem Stu.. first off, I'm not a doctor so take this advice accordingly. Clear with the doc whatever you have in mind for training, and remember proper healing will put this behind you for good, pushing too hard at the wrong time could jeopardize the effective healing of the bone.

I highly recommend Bone Up, it's sold in health food stores. My brother had a nasty humerus break and healed quicky and very well using this product. Many others have used it to great effect as well.

Good luck!

Reactions: Stu
Ouch. Hope that heals up quickly!

Just to add to the excellent ideas above: barbell squats and presses might be OK with splinted finger, single-leg deadlifts, abdominal strengthening exercises, calf raises, get-ups to elbow position instead of tall sit.

I was advised against unilateral training (by Sr. people here) and my physiotherapist, but some folks seem to manage just fine doing so.

That's one of the nastiest finger breaks I've seen for a few years. Were you swinging the hammer or was someone else?

I was advised against unilateral training (by Sr. people here) and my physiotherapist, but some folks seem to manage just fine doing so.

Personally, I felt like it was nothing but beneficial.

Like I said above, I spent a few months doing a substantial amount of unilateral training when recovering from surgery. I started doing one arm loaded carries and one arm KB deadlifts when I was still in the sling, and worked up to doing basically the same total volume of normal ballistic training I would normally split between both hands. I was doing sessions of 100-300 32kg swings or 28kg snatches, and sessions of hundreds of reps of clubbell ballistics before I was cleared to do any KB training on the repaired side.

Plus, I've also had many shorter periods where I've worked around hand and finger injuries (an unavoidable hazard of playing basketball -- most of my fingers are no longer straight) by training only the good side.

Out of curiosity, what was the rationale for avoiding it?

Personally, I felt like it was nothing but beneficial.

Like I said above, I spent a few months doing a substantial amount of unilateral training when recovering from surgery. I started doing one arm loaded carries and one arm KB deadlifts when I was still in the sling, and worked up to doing basically the same total volume of normal ballistic training I would normally split between both hands. I was doing sessions of 100-300 32kg swings or 28kg snatches, and sessions of hundreds of reps of clubbell ballistics before I was cleared to do any KB training on the repaired side.

Plus, I've also had many shorter periods where I've worked around hand and finger injuries (an unavoidable hazard of playing basketball -- most of my fingers are no longer straight) by training only the good side.

Out of curiosity, what was the rationale for avoiding it?
Imbalances that would rear their head upon recovery. But like I said... I know people with great experiences like you, that have no issues...

Imbalances that would rear their head upon recovery. But like I said... I know people with great experiences like you, that have no issues...

Oh, I got imbalanced as hell.

For a long time, my surgical arm was very atrophied, whereas the good arm I was training was normal. But as I worked through the rehab process and returned to normal training with the repaired arm, it caught back up.

After some shoulder injuries, squats and sled pulls with a harness were my staples.

I would also recommend rucking as another option, which IMO would carry over benefits for your Spartan event. Get a weight vest, which you could also use for squats and other modalities, and get out there!

Thanks to you all for your comments and advice.

@North Coast Miller I hadn't thought about a Zercher squat, great idea and yes I am going to be doing a fair bit of running/jogging in the interim.

@Steve W. & @offwidth Thanks for the input re imbalances. I don't want to develop too great an imbalance but I think continuing to train my left side albeit to a slightly lesser degree will be the way I go.

@Bret S. I will check Bone Up out

@Anna C , @Jacques van der Merwe @Bro Mo some great ideas in your suggestions. Thanks

@Tarzan Yeh it is a nasty one, the doctors said it was a fairly bad one and they were left without a huge amount the could do other than try and align the bones and splint it up. Someone else was wielding the hammer and they are feeling suitably guilty, lol

Stu

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom