all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Training with a possible hand fracture

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pantrolyx

Level 6 Valued Member
So, I had my second fight in MMA last Saturday, whereafter I had two aching knuckles and fingers.
I had it chekced by a physio today, where ultrasound could point to a tendon being partially torn, which in itself implies six weeks without impact training, and preferably without heavy loads on that grip.

Of course, I would very much dislike to exclude all pulling excrcises from my training for such a duration of time. But what kind of pulling could be rational to do, without putting unneccessary strain on the damaged area?

Caveat since I am not a doctor, or rehab professional....clear everything with one of them first, particularly with a sports oriented physio if you can (who would be more qualified than an MD to give modifications to exercise) vs us here on an internet forum. Have you had any x rays to rule out a fracture in fingers or hand, especially as I am guessing you may have been throwing punches?

That being said, I understand where you are coming from in being eager to exercise. I suffered a "boxers fracture" of the 5th metacarpal of the hand in 2017 from a fall, and was casted for 6 weeks with 4th and 5th fingers bent at 90 degrees. All in all with cast and formal rehab time, was out of normal commission for 3 months. My only press/pull on that side was using exercise tubing in my 1st two fingers and thumb. The whole situation became more tolerable mentally/frustration wise once I realized that it was a blessing in disguise to try some other things for a short season, like (quite a bit modified) yoga, lower body bodyweight like single leg deadlifts, etc.

This will pass, and if you have a baseline of strength, it will come back quickly too once you resume things. Hang in there.

Caveat since I am not a doctor, or rehab professional....clear everything with one of them first, particularly with a sports oriented physio if you can (who would be more qualified than an MD to give modifications to exercise) vs us here on an internet forum. Have you had any x rays to rule out a fracture in fingers or hand, especially as I am guessing you may have been throwing punches?

That being said, I understand where you are coming from in being eager to exercise. I suffered a "boxers fracture" of the 5th metacarpal of the hand in 2017 from a fall, and was casted for 6 weeks with 4th and 5th fingers bent at 90 degrees. All in all with cast and formal rehab time, was out of normal commission for 3 months. My only press/pull on that side was using exercise tubing in my 1st two fingers and thumb. The whole situation became more tolerable mentally/frustration wise once I realized that it was a blessing in disguise to try some other things for a short season, like (quite a bit modified) yoga, lower body bodyweight like single leg deadlifts, etc.

This will pass, and if you have a baseline of strength, it will come back quickly too once you resume things. Hang in there.

I have been throwing punches, whilst being too irrational to wrap my hands under the 6 oz glozes. So I can ble blamed for having asked for such an injury. Went to a physio (martial artist, no less) today and had the hand examined, but need to take an x-ray later this week.

Last edited:
You might look at some of Dan John’s work on loaded carries and one arm work. He developed a bunch of ideas after “blowing his wrist apart”. Apparently, the single arm work helped the healing process a lot

Today I dared to do one handed swings with the 40 kg kettlebell again. To my relief, doing so did not lead to any pain, and my grip worked rather well!

There were no fracture, by the way, but a tendon was partially torn. Recieved great help (torture leading to relief) from a competent physiotherapist in that regard.

You might look at some of Dan John’s work on loaded carries and one arm work. He developed a bunch of ideas after “blowing his wrist apart”. Apparently, the single arm work helped the healing process a lot
Also "bear hug carries" with sandbags or weight plates.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom