all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Transfer from wall handstand push up to freestanding

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hung

Level 8 Valued Member
I believe i could crack few handstand push up with the wall ( my clip is below), and now i want to do freestanding handstand push up.

I have no idea the process ( what exercise should i choose, how to program, ...) Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Also, my handstand skill is not so good ( i know that it is the big problem), so how can i conjunct it into my training?

My training last few weeks is like this:

3 days per week: swing 7 reps x 10 sets.

3 days per week:
Morning - planche training ( 60 seconds- 90 seconds- 90 seconds total each day)
Evening: 30-45-60 minutes hspu training
close grip straight bar dips: 3 sets of 8 reps
zercher squat: 70 kg x 5 reps x 5 sets
L-sit wide girp pull up: 10 reps
The numbers of reps in dips/zercher squat could change depending on my feeling.

( start at 0:11)

Thanks for reading

Now, I am in no way qualified to tell you how to get to a HSPU, since I'm considerably further away from it than you are.

But, looking at your video (which is impressive), I wonder if part of it is just getting to a straighter lock-out. When I do handstand practices against a wall, I've got my hips stacked directly on top of my shoulders. If I was to lower myself, I'd land on the top of my head.

You seem to have a lot of horizontal displacement between your hips and shoulders, and when you come down you put your chin on the ground. Maybe that's a tougher position to balance from?

If I was to lower myself, I'd land on the top of my head
In the "building the gymnastics bodies" it is called the Headstand push up. The handstand push up has greater ROM if i understand it correctly.
You seem to have a lot of horizontal displacement between your hips and shoulders, and when you come down you put your chin on the ground. Maybe that's a tougher position to balance from?
I find both type movements are equally hard in terms of balancing

Your strength level seems to be decent.
However, you arch a lot in the back (bana back) and seem to have some difficulties with hand balancing. The biggest issue I see is the lack of the hollow body position. Ideally you get to the point where you can hold a wall supported handstand (chest to wall) for at least 1 minute and multiple sets and free standing solid handstands (straight body) for at least 10-20 sec. or so. Solid means that you get into the handstand every time not just by chance. The best way to do this is to practise it almost daily GTG style or within a fixed time window (like 20 mins daily). In addition to that work on your vertical pushing strength by doing wall-assisted handstand pushups and/or pike pushups 2-3x/week. Over time you should be able to put these two together.

Last edited:
I haven't practice handstand for awhile, so i guest that i should make some space for it in the routine. However, my shoulders get hit by both planche and the handstand push up already, and i kinda need some rest day for my shoulder. 10 minutes per day, 3 time per week as a warm up- is that could be enough?

It is said by experts that overhead pressing responds well to frequency and volume. I have found this to be true personally. I like utilizing the sets and progressions from the Fighter Pull-Up Program for several other exercises. You get frequency and volume over time. With this I am able to do 10 or so headstand presses on a wall, and even 2-3 full range presses on a wall.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom