all posts post new thread

Barbell Trap/Hex bar and exercises with it

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
currently I am loving heavy deadlift single cluster with the hex big time. It is a great tool.

interesting thoughts and applucation of the hex bar deadlift:

I'm using the trap bar for an Easy Strength program for the first time. It's interesting in that it feels like a DL, but with more leg involvement. I also tried it for a loaded carry, which felt interesting having the weight connected to both hands compared to separated. We'll see how it works in a few weeks.

I'm using the trap bar for an Easy Strength program for the first time. It's interesting in that it feels like a DL, but with more leg involvement.
Nobody is watching so I may be deluded but seems to me, I can set up over wide range so trap bar lift is anywhere from DL to at least high bar back squat. Just needs close attention to the groove you follow after you start moving, so you don't drift into a different pattern than when you started. I've been using one and going very squatty, more than what one might automatically do. And I find when I start to fatigue, or if I'm going too heavy, soon as it's off the floor I start to drift toward DL territory. All depends on what you want. Currently I want more quad activation because I'm doing heavy swings on other days and that covers posterior chain.

Nobody is watching so I may be deluded but seems to me, I can set up over wide range so trap bar lift is anywhere from DL to at least high bar back squat. Just needs close attention to the groove you follow after you start moving, so you don't drift into a different pattern than when you started. I've been using one and going very squatty, more than what one might automatically do. And I find when I start to fatigue, or if I'm going too heavy, soon as it's off the floor I start to drift toward DL territory. All depends on what you want. Currently I want more quad activation because I'm doing heavy swings on other days and that covers posterior chain.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Are you leaning forward over the bar when you get tired? Where do you feel the weight in your feet? Provided you keep the weight over your mid foot and aren't driving excessively through either the heels or the toes, you should end up with a straight bar path.

It sounds like you might be letting your back round a little or that your back might get fatigued before your legs. If you could make a recording of how you lift we could check it out and see what's going on.

I have a hex bar and have used it quite often. It is an excellent piece of equipment! I got pretty decent results with it when I used it steadily.

It definitely feels unique when using it, like a combo of squat/DL.

Do you recommend landing with weight or releasing it as you come down from trap bar jump? Wondered about impact of landing. Maybe that eccentric is useful?

The Eccentric Is Useful

with both method. Both pre-load the connective tissue, eliciting a greater stretch flex, which increase force production.

Weight Jump Rebounds

This overloads the muscle in the concentric part of the movement. It is more of a Power Movement, dependent on the load.

Post Activation Potentiation Training

With this method a heavy load is lifted, followed with a lighter load.

One of the traditional methods is to perform a fairly heavy Squat with let's say 85% of your 1 Repetition Max. Rest a couple of minutes.

Then perform a light to moderate weighted Jump Squat or Trap Bar Jump.

Rest and repeat the sequence.

Research shows that PAP enables lifters to produce greater Power Output in a Jump Squat or Trap Bar Jump.

There are four theories as why this occurs. The bottom line is it works but no one know exactly why.

Releasing The Trap Bar Jumps

If you stand up with the Weighed Trap Bar, then drop down in to a Squat and release the bar prior to jumping up, that elicits the PAP effect.

It essentially is the same as Depth Jumps. Jumping off a box an rebounding back up.

Both increase the Pre-Loading of the Stretch Reflex, with the right load.

Think of this like stretching a rubber band and then letting it go.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Are you leaning forward over the bar when you get tired? Where do you feel the weight in your feet? Provided you keep the weight over your mid foot and aren't driving excessively through either the heels or the toes, you should end up with a straight bar path.

It sounds like you might be letting your back round a little or that your back might get fatigued before your legs. If you could make a recording of how you lift we could check it out and see what's going on.
Sorry, should have been more clear. What I notice is that as fatigue sets in, or if lifting high %RM, my hips tend to drift up a bit faster than my shoulders which puts me more in DL alignment than squat alignment. As that happens, the weight gets "lighter" because I am definitely stronger, higher 1 RM, in DL than in squat.

I am quite sure I'm not rounding as that is one of the main things I monitor since my lumbar spine has been injured long ago and is a bit sensitive. If I round or lose my bracing at all, I will be hearing about for at least a day or two after.

Sorry, should have been more clear. What I notice is that as fatigue sets in, or if lifting high %RM, my hips tend to drift up a bit faster than my shoulders which puts me more in DL alignment than squat alignment (more posterior chain and less quad activation). As that happens, the weight gets "lighter" because I am definitely stronger, higher 1 RM, in DL than in squat.

I am quite sure I'm not rounding as that is one of the main things I monitor since my lumbar spine has been injured long ago and is a bit sensitive. If I round or lose my bracing at all, I will be hearing about for at least a day or two after.

It sounds like you might be letting your back round a little or that your back might get fatigued before your legs.

It's Usually The Opposite

Shifting the load to the back usually occurs due to weak leg drive or because the legs are fatigued.

The body's survival mechanism automatically shifts the load to the stronger muscle group; ensuring your success.

Examples

1) Squat-Mornings

This occurs primarily with lifter with strong backs (good Deadlifter) with weak quads.

When the quad give out, lifters shift the load to their stronger muscles, the back.

2) Bench Press

Years ago at a Bench Press for Reps Contest, I was helping.

A lifter commented how ironic it was regarding how the right handed lifters had weaker right arms and left handed lifter had weaker left arm.

He based that on the fact that the when fatigue set in the right handed lifter drove the bar up with their left arm, their right arm lagging behind.

Left handed lifers led with their right arm, their left lagging behind.

The Reason Why

The uneven extension shifted more of the load from the leading weaker arm to lagging stronger arm; right arm lifter lagging behind with the right arm, left arm lifter lagging behind with their left arm.

Basketball Analogy

If you need a basket to win with only seconds left on the clock, give it to you best shooter.

The same applies with lifting a heavy max, the body automatically shift the load to the strongest muscle group for the win; to get the bar up.

Last edited:
It's Usually The Opposite

Shifting the load to the back usually occurs due to weak leg drive or because the legs are fatigued.

The body's survival mechanism automatically shifts the load to the stronger muscle group; ensuring your success.
Yes! That for certain. I can DL a lot more than I can squat and so automatically default towards DL when "stress" gets too high (either fatigue or absolute load).

I'm considering getting myself a trap/hex bar since there's one on sale.

What kind of exercises have you done with one?

I'm not that keen on the trap bar deadlifts. Sure, I believe it's a good exercise, but I don't like the idea of buying the implement for just one exercise. I also think the exercise would be secondary to deadlifts with a barbell.

I think loaded carries and shrugs could be nice to do with the hex bar. What's your experience like? And how would those exercises with the hex bar compare to done with simple handles? The handles would still be cheaper and much easier to store.

I suppose I could do presses with the trap bar, but I already got kettlebells for it, and I believe they're mostly heavy enough for the job. Still, nothing wrong with having the option.

Am I missing some exercise or some point about the bar? I would really, really like to start doing some properly heavy carries.
I think you get the point pretty well. Trap bars are great for deadlifts, carries, and shrugs. They are a fine tool for some other movements.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom