all posts post new thread

Barbell Trap/Hex Bar - turn over for no raised handles?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Question - I want to add a trap/hex bar to my gym because those DL's are good for my conventional DL start.

I found one with raised handles like many of them have, and someone suggested simply turning it over if I didn't want the raised handles. I have zero experience with these, but I do _not_ want to use the raised handles. Is it really as simple as turning it over?

Thanks.

-S-

Steve I have used the trap bar in both ways, with the handles, and turned over.

both styles work.. but I found that I preferred the raised handles, as it made the movement less of a squat

in my experience using the trap bar without the handles resulted in way too much knee flexion for me, and it actually bothered my knees.

I had a cycle of about 8 weeks, using the trap bar once a week, for 1 work set of 10-20 (was on a weird progression at the time) and switched to the handles after about 3 weeks. after that my knees stopped bothering me after every session. I initially wanted the extra ROM until I realized it bothered my knees. Anecdotal, but it's something to watch for. The trap bar is generally known for more knee flexion, with and without the handles

I think you'll really like the trap bar deadlift though, i know I preferred it to the regular barbell dead lift after I switched to using the handles

@Steve Freides
Just about every trap bar I've seen with raised handles also had regular height knurled handles. Yes, you turn the bar over to select which handles you want to use, but it's not like you would be using bar upside down or in a different way than intended. It's meant to be used either way.

I find the trap bar a very natural feeling movement and I can lift more on it (from the same height) than on a straight bar (PR 465 vs 425). But I've never used if for DL assistance.

When I've used a trap bar, it's been at a USAWA meet, and I could, with no specific training, pull the same or more as I could DL. I think it will be good for me.

-S-

both styles work.. but I found that I preferred the raised handles, as it made the movement less of a squat

in my experience using the trap bar without the handles resulted in way too much knee flexion for me, and it actually bothered my knees.

I pull the same on a Trap Bar as a Power Bar. I even do Stiff Leg Deadlifts. To say a Trap Bar Deadlift is more of a Squat is false.

Most will have better leverage because the weight is not out in front of you and it’s easier to hold on to because it does not want to roll out of your hands like a barbell. For me it has had good carryover to Deadlift. I always pull from standard height on it though.

It’s not the tool, it’s how you use it.

Last edited:
To say a Trap Bar Deadlift is more of a Squat is false.

Trap Bar "More of a Squat"

While the Trap Bar does work the lower and upper back, it is more of a Quad Dominate Squat like movement. That due to the angle position. With the Trap Bar Deadlift a more vertical position is maintained, which decreases the loading on the spine, shifting it to the Quads.

As per Paul Swinton's research, "Performing the deadlift with the hexagonal barbell significantly increased the peak moment at the knee and significantly decreased the peak moment at the lumbar spine and hip compared to the deadlifts performed with the straight barbell."

High Trap Bar Handles

Trap Bar training from from the High Handle position is comparative to Quarter Squats, a 'Quad Dominate" movement. Quarter Squats provide a greater carryover to the Deadlift than the Squat, due to the fact the starting position of the Deadlift is performed from essentially a Quarter Squat Position. Performing High Handle Trap Bar Deadlift/Squats increases your leg strength and drive off the floor; they are basically Quarter Squats.

Chris Thibaudeau, Strength Coach

As per Thibaudeau, with the Trap Bar "...the Body is put in the same mechanical position as the squat, ..."

Thibaudeau goes on to state, "The high handle allows you to use more weight which means more stimulation on the upper back and traps..."

Hex Bar Jump Squat vs Hang Power Clean Power Output

Olympic movements produce some the highest Power Output (Research Dr John Garhammer). Ironically, Hex Bar Jump Squats rival the Power Output of Olympic Movements.

Hex Bar Jump Squat Power

The"...maximum power output of 5,783.40 watts in the hex bar jump."
Optimal Loading Range for the Development of Peak Power Output in the Hexagonal Barbell Jump Squat

Hang Power Clean Power

"...a peak power output of 4,281.15 Watts in the Hang Power Clean .
Influence of Different Relative Intensities on Power Output During the Hang Power Clean: Identification of the Optimal Load.

Summary

1) Quad Dominate: Trap Bar Deadlifts are a Quad Dominate Squat movement. They are a good Auxiliary Deadlift exercise.

2) Power Movement: Trap Jump Squat are also a great Power Training Exercise; producing Power Outputs that rival Olympic Movements.

"... HBJS (Hex Barbell Jump Squats) with a training load between 10 and 20% of box squat 1RM optimizes peak power output." Optimal Loading Range for the Development of Peak Power Output in the Hexagonal Barbell Jump Squat

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom