all posts post new thread

Barbell Tricep/bicep pain during Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sunil Nair

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey, folks! I need insights on the correct way to place my grip for the squat as my triceps/biceps (both arms) hurt when I go for a sub 75-80% or above squat. It's been an ongoing issue for some time now. I've had a couple of dozen PT sessions for the same but the pain resurfaces each time I squat.

I'm using SFL principles (shoulder width grip, trying to crush the bar... which seems to be crushing my tendons and confidence too lately) for the most part. I've been experimenting with a wider grip but the squats suck due to lack of upper back tightness. My elbows used to flare up but that's been fixed too... something is wrong, I'm just not sure what.

What could I be doing wrong? Has anyone else experienced this? I noticed a couple of elbow pain issues but that's not the case with me. My elbows are fine. Surprisingly, I'm doing great with my bench and OHP... without any pain.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

P.S. I've also tried the thumbless/neutral grip... it's a hit or miss most of the time. Last week I tried the talon grip (I'm serious!)... which ripped the skin of my pinkies! Darn! I'm wondering if there's any way I can squat without thinking about hurting myself...

Have you tried switching the variety of Squats? if your Zercher squat, front squat or high bar (if your low bar squatting)?

A video could be nice. Do you get pain if you use a very wide grip and have the bar very high? Where do you keep your elbows, are they unnecessarily high? I would also avoid trying to crush the bar.

Hey @Maine-ah KB! I do low-bar squats... haven't tried to switch to a different variation as I want to focus on upping the numbers for my back squat. Been thinking about Zercher as a possible replacement if resting the shoulders and tricep (for low-bar squats) is what's warranted. But I'm not sure.

@Antti: Will upload a video soon. I keep the bar low and don't use a wide grip. It's somewhat between narrow and wide... too much, either way has been an issue. Too wide compromises upper-back tightness and too narrow gives me one hell of an ache on both my arms... (I meant that quite literally!). Yeah, I've been thinking about sparing the bar from all that crushing myself...

Hey @Maine-ah KB! I do low-bar squats... haven't tried to switch to a different variation as I want to focus on upping the numbers for my back squat. Been thinking about Zercher as a possible replacement if resting the shoulders and tricep (for low-bar squats) is what's warranted. But I'm not sure.

@Antti: Will upload a video soon. I keep the bar low and don't use a wide grip. It's somewhat between narrow and wide... too much, either way has been an issue. Too wide compromises upper-back tightness and too narrow gives me one hell of an ache on both my arms... (I meant that quite literally!). Yeah, I've been thinking about sparing the bar from all that crushing myself...

In your situation, to me it is a given that you will do the back squat, but do it in a painless way. Take a position that's comfortably high and wide. With time, and we're talking months, if not years, your mobility will get better, and you will get the bar down lower and your grip narrower, if you wish. But don't break yourself trying to fit an ideal you're not fit for yet. Besides, for 99% of trainees, it doesn't matter how high we have the bar and how wide the grip is.

Your biceps and triceps are hurting? Is it throughout the whole movement (top and bottom), or just at a single position? It would definitely be helpful to see a video from the back side to see where the bar rests on your back and your grip placement.

I had a similar issue while also doing low bar. I could feel quite a bit of weight on being held with my hands even though I tried not to.

I fixed it by going a bit wider, putting my thumb over the bar, and moving my elbows to match the Starting Strength videos.

Your biceps and triceps are hurting? Is it throughout the whole movement (top and bottom), or just at a single position? It would definitely be helpful to see a video from the back side to see where the bar rests on your back and your grip placement.

Hey, @Arryn! I usually experience this right after the set. Not during as I'm too focused (with a white-knuckled death grip et al) on executing the squat. The pain begins right after I unrack the bar... and boy...

I had a similar issue while also doing low bar. I could feel quite a bit of weight on being held with my hands even though I tried not to.

I fixed it by going a bit wider, putting my thumb over the bar, and moving my elbows to match the Starting Strength videos.

I intend to try that too @joe! The thumbs overgrip has been a hit or miss mostly perhaps I should commit to it and give it some time.

In your situation, to me it is a given that you will do the back squat, but do it in a painless way. Take a position that's comfortably high and wide. With time, and we're talking months, if not years, your mobility will get better, and you will get the bar down lower and your grip narrower, if you wish. But don't break yourself trying to fit an ideal you're not fit for yet. Besides, for 99% of trainees, it doesn't matter how high we have the bar and how wide the grip is.

Very well said, @Antti!

It seems I have two options right now:

1. Go wider and higher
2. Go wider, stay lower and go thumbs-around the bar

Of course, I need to keep the load on the back and not grip the bar like the world's crashing on me...

@Sunil Nair what did your physical therapist say was going on? This sort of thing often has little to do with form and instead can be related to certain clinical issues that no changes in your form are going to fix. A powerlifter friend of mine had similar issues years ago and basically had to stop squatting for a significant period of time because he had "thoracic outlet syndrome" and needed quite a bit of rest and therapy for it. Have you had a clinician (PT, chiro, ortho) evaluate you for issues like that? If not, it might be a good idea ...

Hey, @boris! Thanks for sharing the resources. Super-interesting! I'll try out the drills for sure! :)
@Tony: the PT prescribed for more sessions. The MRI scan is clean. I don't have serious injuries. The area is just inflamed.

So, here's what I did — took 22 days off lifting completely and focused on bodyweight training (attended the SFB cert too). Came back to the gym and started to train again a couple of days back. The elbow's good but that's probably because I switched to the talon grip (Eliminate Shoulder Discomfort In Seconds With This Squatting Tip - BarBend). (Hat tip to Fabio for this.) I'm still getting used to the new grip but I can tell the wrists and elbows are super happy.

I'll update you all in another 30 days on my training. In the interim, I'm low-bar squatting using the new grip and high-bar squats as a back-up plan ;)

Thanks again for your time fellas!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom