Triceps activation from pull-ups: How/why?

Discussion in 'Bodyweight' started by Chrisdavisjr, Nov 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Chrisdavisjr

Chrisdavisjr Quadruple-Digit Post Count

I remember reading somewhere (probably SF related) that you can experience activation of the triceps when performing strict pull-ups and I've certainly experienced this first hand on many occasions.

Does anyone know how/why this happens?

2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Forum Administrator Senior Certified Instructor

Chris, as a general rule, antagonists will participate when the tension is sufficiently high. E.g., biceps get used in the bench press. A slower speed of execution will also require antagonist participation.

-S-

Chrisdavisjr likes this.
  3. Chrisdavisjr

Chrisdavisjr Quadruple-Digit Post Count

That makes sense. I typically do pull-ups in sets of 12 or more (never less than 10) so I feel like the actual tension generated by the upper arm isn't that high when compared to a 1RM curl. I might have to experiment with weighted pull-ups and see what happens when the tension is really high.

4. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Forum Administrator Senior Certified Instructor

@Chrisdavisjr, don't forget that what you feel and what's going on may not be the same thing. You'll be focused on pulling but that doesn't necessarily mean other things aren't happening.

-S-

Chrisdavisjr likes this.
  5. fractal

fractal More than 500 posts

A portion of the tricep also crosses the shoulder, has a fascial connection to the lat and contributes to shoulder extension

Chrisdavisjr likes this.
  6. Marc

Marc Quadruple-Digit Post Count

If you start from a dead hang you might want to actively engage your triceps to protect your elbows from overextending.