all posts post new thread

Barbell Triceps Pain during deadlifts & pullups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hilljack

Level 1 Valued Member
Has anyone had problems with a sharp pain in the upper triceps while deadlifting or doing chin ups ? Any suggestions to remedy this are appreciated.

@Hilljack, this is unusual - best to have your doc check you out to be sure it's nothing serious. Ask for his recommendation and report back here on what he says.

-S-

Steve, thanks for the reply. I have an appointment to see a good Doctor. I have some right shoulder issues from various injuries through the years. I will seek counsel once I have a medical opinion.

If I go a while without doing a lot of pull ups or heavy farmers walks my tris get crazy sore when I finally do them again.

Both arms?

Just my right upper tricep. It feels like nerve pain, it has happened twice recently. The first time I gave it a week off & was able to do chins/pull ups when I came back with no pain. Then a couple of days later on my second set of chins the sharp pain in my upper rear right tricep came back. I am able to do everything else pain free, it seems my bodyweight pulling on a chin bar or anything north of 225 on the DL causes the pain. I am 50 years old & have had a right side shoulder issue for some time. I don't know if the problem has something to do with that or not.

I was in Ju-Jitsu class about 13 - 14 months ago & got caught belly down with my right arm trapped across my body underneath me. The lad on top was quite heavy, i was able to scramble out after maybe 15 seconds or so, nothing at the time hurt or popped. However, the next day I feared I'd broken my collarbone, swollen down near my sternum. Since then I have had weird pains even in my scapula. I iced & took off a few days and was fine. It happened again after that doing double KB clean and press. Subsequent to that Ju-Jitsu injury I have had weird pains in my right side, even in my scapula. I am going to stick with Simple & Sinister (Swings & TGU) until I see the doctor.

Thanks

The doctor will probably just tell you that you shouldn't deadlift.
Some doctors understand athletes and understand strength. Mine, even though my back was so bad I could barely walk when he met me, encouraged my deadlifting.

@Hilljack, definitely time to see a doctor. See more than one if you need; try to get a solid diagnosis and a treatment plan. Don't rule out massage, ART, etc. as possibilities to help you.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

-S-

Steve, Matt, & Geoff, thanks for the responses.

My practice today consisted of the following:
Goblet Squat 5x5, 32 kg kb
KB Press 3 reps x 5, 32 kg kb
Farmers walk 32 kg kb's

Yesterday I went 8 (3 minute rounds) with my heavy bag then some Muay Thai technical work (round kicks, spinning elbows, elbows, knees, Teep Kicks)

Wednesday's practice
Swings (2 hand) 10 x 10, 32 kg Kb
Get Ups (GU) 1 GU each arm x 5 (10 total)

No triceps pain during last 3 practices ! Still afraid to deadlift or do chins until I see the doctor.

Again, Thanks for the responses

Practice yesterday:
2 hand swings 10 x 10, 32KG KB
KB Press 6 x 3 reps, 32 KG KB
Neutral grip pull-ups, 5,4,3,2,1 reps: 15 total, shoulders packed tight, pelvis tucked, and scapula down (warrior style)
farmers walk, 32 KG KB's

felt great during and after practice

Practice Today:
One hand KB swings 10 x each hand, 24 KG KB, 100 total
5 get ups each side, 32 KG KB, 10 total
Neutral grip pull-ups, 5 x 3 reps, packed shoulders, pelvis tucked, glutes tight, scapula down

No pain & again feel great.

I see the doctor the day after memorial day. Maybe I was just "kinked" up somewhere or being sloppy on pull-ups chasing reps & adding weight. I practice Z-health, R-phase & that may have helped as well. I had neglected Z-health for a couple of weeks, work & kids. Feels good to be training pull-ups again.

thanks for the responses

I went to see the orthopedic Doctor today. The x-rays revealed nothing bad, perhaps the onset of arthritis. However, the Doctor had me perform some strength/ flexibility type isometrics. My left arm is much weaker in certain positions, he (Doc) thinks I have a torn left rotator cuff & my right shoulder he thinks would benefit from some Physical Therapy (PT). I have been babying my left arm for a long time. None of this explains the pain in my right tricep. MRI scheduled for next week.

Practice this morning:
Two hand Swings 10 x 10 w/32 kilo KB (100 reps)
Get-ups 5 times each arm, 32 kilo KB (10 reps)
Chins: 3 reps x sets, strict & slow with 8 pound dumbbell added
Lever lift 10 pound sledge arms link to nose x 5 each arm
No pain

I had my appointment with my orthopedic doctor last week to read my MRI. I have a torn labrum in my left shoulder with some bone chips. Doc says the bone chips have moved down & he sees no need to remove them, he also doesn't think surgically repairing the labrum will help me much. I have the onset of arthritis, he cautioned me that a shoulder replacement is looming (10 years) the way it looks. He said to let pain be my guide, Ju-Jitsu is out for sure and I'm gonna have to see how I feel after Muay Thai, but my shoulders do not like punching and push-ups together. The past few months even heavy bag work has aggravated them both. Gonna have to get much smarter about training! A Strongfirst workshop is in order, this program seems to have the aging, busy comrade in mind when it was designed.

Any advice is appreciated.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom