all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Triple extension swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pete L

Level 6 Valued Member
Should I be training the triple extension swing?
I am currently rereading Easy Strength and in an early chapter the authors discuss the "Top 16 Q1 GSP Exercises" of which one is the triple extension swing.
Is this something I should be aware of and/or train?

To paraphrase Dan John “if I mention something once and then never talk about it again for a decade, it probably means I don’t use it or recommend it anymore. That swing is one of those things. ”
Great reply, thanks @silveraw

I'm thinking of my son, who is imminently going to become a teenager, and was wondering whether it was included as a good starting point for kids. But I guess that quotation probably hits the nail on the head.

The triple extension swing is an interesting drill to get feedback on your balance and timing during swings.

Elevate your toes on a 2x6, weight plates, the edge of lifting platform or similar stable surface. On the back swing allow your heels to touch the ground and on the upswing rise up on your toes. If your balance is even, you can do this smoothly. If you shift your weight too much between your heel and toe, you will feel pulled backward at the bottom and forward at the top. Start with a light weight until you get the feel for it.

One thing I strive for during KB ballistics is keeping my weight balanced evenly throughout each rep from heel to toe and side to side.

I find that when I stay evenly balanced, I feel more solidly rooted, smoother, more fluid and more powerful. We teach people to "sit back" into the hinge, and often cue weight toward the heels to facilitate a good hinge and avoid being pulled forward, so I think a lot of people don't actually stay evenly balanced (because they're not necessarily trying to). This may be more of a personal preference than a problem, but aesthetically, I like the idea of rooting through the whole foot.

So the triple extension swing can very instructive and self-correcting when it comes to balance and timing, but I don't really see a role for it in regular training.

Last edited:
I am currently rereading Easy Strength and in an early chapter the authors discuss the "Top 16 Q1 GSP Exercises" of which one is the triple extension swing.
Is this something I should be aware of and/or train?
Yes, training the triple extension is a well-advised idea. The Triple Extension Swing will help avoid common causes of back pain such as bulging discs and herniated discs. This exercise will also improve your core stability because it engages your abdominal wall on every repetition. A properly executed Triple Extension Swing should require you to push up from the hips and fully straighten your spine as you transition into full hip extension, maintaining a tight abdominal wall throughout the entire movement. This exercise targets area that are typically ignored during traditional strength exercises targeting only the upper body such as seated rows or bench presses by engaging multiple muscle groups at one time: hamstrings, lower back muscles, and abdominals (abdominal wall).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom