all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Triple extension swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have used a similar triple extension swing (which as AFAIK originated with Jeff O'Connor), where you elevate your toes on a 2x6, weight plate, the edge of a weightlifting platform, etc. On the back swing heels come down; on the up swing heels come up.

This can be very instructive and self-correcting for balance and timing in the swing. I don't see great use for it as an exercise in itself.

@Football Bat, there is always the question of what movements and programs might be considered to improving general physical preparedness (GPP) and what is sport-specific. As a guideline from StrongFirst, we believe that using a few, carefully chosen and even more carefully taught movements for general physical preparedness, and limiting ourselves to those few movements because they are all that's necessary for beginning and intermediate trainees in any sport. At the advanced level, coaching advice ought to come from a coach, not a book or an internet "expert."

GPP ought to be performed in such a way as to be minimally taxing to the student/athlete and therefore leaving plenty of time and energy for one's sport.

This isn't to say that the approach in the article will be wrong for all people or sports but rather that we don't support that a GPP movement, e.g., a kettlebell swing, ought to attempt to mimic the mechanics and movement patterns of any sport or class of sports. The swing is General by StrongFirst's definition, and by that definition, it will help anyone in any endeavor or walk of life who can benefit from having more General strength, and that group can even include some people who are already performing in their chosen sport at a fairly high level.

So ...

Are there any negatives to this variation of the swing?
Yes, there are positives and negatives to any exercise. This version will miss out on the concept of rooting and the vertical plank, and it will also lead to a much less stable position at the top, which in my opinion, brings with it a higher risk of injury. NB: I have no science to support the heightened injury risk but that's my gut reaction. Your mileage may vary.

And ...

Do any of you do these regularly?
No. I don't buy into the basic premise of a direct carryover from the mechanics of the swing to any sport. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's a WTH effect and not the core of our approach, which is to bulletproof you with one-arm swings and getups, and then let you do whatever sport you like. We don't swing to jump higher or run faster, we swing to be stronger and more anti-fragile, and being stronger in our chosen GPP movements helps us to be more anti-fragile and therefore more able to do just about anything else.

-S-

I wouldnt modify the swings for the many reasons stated by @Steve Freides above, but what I have done is to add a few calf rises and other calf/ankle exercises between swing sets as a form of active recovery. I play football (soccer) so calf strength and ankle mobility is quite crucial.

Hello,

The Hack. squat and the calf rises can be a good combination too.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey thanks for the in depth response. I've built up to 50 consecutive hand to hand swings with the 48 and I want to make the exercise harder so I'm going to attempt the same weight and reps with triple extensions.

I've been greasing the groove with the 40 for a few days and I can feel a lot more activation in my quads and calves. I'm eager to see what effect this has on those muscle groups over the long term.

Hey thanks for the in depth response. I've built up to 50 consecutive hand to hand swings with the 48 and I want to make the exercise harder so I'm going to attempt the same weight and reps with triple extensions.

I've been greasing the groove with the 40 for a few days and I can feel a lot more activation in my quads and calves. I'm eager to see what effect this has on those muscle groups over the long term.

I'm going to give these a try every other workout. Am having a tough time getting enough calf work in and Hack Squats aren't enough on their own.

Have tried to consistently finish off all my overhead pressing with a calf raise but I keep forgetting, and it takes away from concentrating on the heavier loads.

Hello,

Did you notice an improvement somewhere (walking, rucking, biking, etc...) since you start training calves ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've built up to 50 consecutive hand to hand swings with the 48 and I want to make the exercise harder so I'm going to attempt the same weight and reps with triple extensions.
I would think a more useful way to increase difficulty would be to instead of hand to hand, do 25 consecutive with one hand then switch and repeat with the other. As described above already, training calves is a separate issue and really not addressed by the swing, triple or otherwise

I teach some volleyball players. After go through the regular GPP program, we use triple-extension swings as one of the special exercises for their needs. For jumping - good stuff.

Hello,

Did you notice an improvement somewhere (walking, rucking, biking, etc...) since you start training calves ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've noticed a bit of an improvement but not really enough. I'm reluctant to do separate calf exercises if I don't have to. Doing the raises is helpful, but it interferes with the rhythm of heavy overhead and once I have to start digging deep I stop doing them/start forgetting to do them.

I already do my swings as a higher volume exercise, so as long as my form stays good it shouldn't be a big issue.

Hello,

Kind regards,

Pet'

Not sure if this was directed at me or Miller. I've only been at it for less than a week so it's too soon to say. I have noticed a very slight increase in calf size though.

Anyway I've been greasing the groove the whole time and this has been my experience so far:

Note: I'm not using anything to elevate my feet. I'm doing this on flat ground. Also I'm doing this one handed.

The first day I had a lot of difficulty keeping stable. I kept getting pulled forward and dropping the bell.

The next couple of days I tried to compensate by bowing back which I know is very bad for your spine.

Another day of practice and I was able to maintain a straight back while leaning back with my entire body (kind of what olympic lifters look like when they triple extend to clean a heavy barbell)

I'm still not 100% consistent but it feels very solid now. All of the weight comes down on my heels when they reconnect with the ground and I get a very solid rebound that feels just like a normal swing. Also since the bell gets higher you have to overcome much more momentum on the rebound. It feels almost like a shadow swing.

Anyway I can totally understand why this variation of the swing isn't more widely adopted. It does take much more practice than the standard swing. And if you mess up there's higher potential for injury. I'm going to keep at it however and see what benefits I get out of it after a few months of this.

Last edited:
I've incorporated separate calf work since May of last year with lackluster results. Anything that is brutal enough to make my calves grow would be a workout in itself and would take focus away from swings and TGUs. Seriously one week of triple extensions has made my calves grow more than 10 months of single leg calf raises in between sets of swings in S&S.

Hello,

Seriously one week of triple extensions has made my calves grow more than 10 months of single leg calf raises in between sets of swings in S&S.
The most important thing is to find a protocol that work for us.

Did you do you regular S&S sessions using the triple extension swings ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Football Bat
I tried this evening, only for a few rep with a light weight (20), just to see how it goes. I tend to go forward and lose a bit balance...

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Pavel Macek Hey Pavel do you have any tips for this exercise since you coach it?

Edit: @pet' Another day of greasing the groove and another lesson learned! Quickly drive feet to full extension as you rebound and drop to your heels before the float (should feel like a quick pop). That way you're firmly rooted for the rebound and your spine is protected.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom