all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Triple Progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Maine-ah KB

Level 7 Valued Member
I thought I'd share my experience with the last 5 weeks of @Rif explanation of the triple progression The Triple Progression System Explained | StrongFirst

Reason for doing it I volunteered to be a guinea pig for a snatch protocol and still wanted to progress with 1arm kb pressing, the one day main with optional 2nd day fit in perfectly with the my other training and schedule.

What I did, the main day slowly building up to 5x5 with the optional very light day for the military press. for assistance I did was either 1 arm pushup progression/rows or Dips/Pull ups.

Result I started with a 26kg 4rm, and could press 28 for a double. end point 26kg for an easiest 5x5, 28 for 4 and a single with the 32kg.

how I feel about the method Its an incredibly effect method of training for strength and hypertrophy. it does require some honest analysis of your lifting and deciding weather or not 1 more rep is a good idea, Its both its greatest advantage/ down fall depending on your own personality. just be aware that if you miss a lift you aren't doing the program correctly.
as far as hypertrophy/aesthetics goes my triceps, shoulders, pecs, and lats are noticeable larger with body fat is down a smidge. not my primary goals but you won't here me complain.
In short its highly effective for strength with the added bonus of none-fluff hypertrophy. the assistance work kept me interested, since its less intense but not without purpose. its also a great template if you can't train a certain lift as frequently particularly frequently. All and All a fantastic method!

I thought I'd share my experience with the last 5 weeks of @Rif explanation of the triple progression The Triple Progression System Explained | StrongFirst

Reason for doing it I volunteered to be a guinea pig for a snatch protocol and still wanted to progress with 1arm kb pressing, the one day main with optional 2nd day fit in perfectly with the my other training and schedule.

What I did, the main day slowly building up to 5x5 with the optional very light day for the military press. for assistance I did was either 1 arm pushup progression/rows or Dips/Pull ups.

Result I started with a 26kg 4rm, and could press 28 for a double. end point 26kg for an easiest 5x5, 28 for 4 and a single with the 32kg.

how I feel about the method Its an incredibly effect method of training for strength and hypertrophy. it does require some honest analysis of your lifting and deciding weather or not 1 more rep is a good idea, Its both its greatest advantage/ down fall depending on your own personality. just be aware that if you miss a lift you aren't doing the program correctly.
as far as hypertrophy/aesthetics goes my triceps, shoulders, pecs, and lats are noticeable larger with body fat is down a smidge. not my primary goals but you won't here me complain.
In short its highly effective for strength with the added bonus of none-fluff hypertrophy. the assistance work kept me interested, since its less intense but not without purpose. its also a great template if you can't train a certain lift as frequently particularly frequently. All and All a fantastic method!

What else were you doing during the 5 weeks?
How many training days/week total training?
Were you on a 'see food and eat' diet?
If I remember correctly you're 50+ age?

The reason I ask is I've been base building for shoulder strength after a baseball throwing injury to my right shoulder. I can now press double 28's for 1 as a max. I'm trying to build back strength equally in both shoulders. I've made alot of progress using a Steve Justa type strategy of lots of singles throughout the week (@70-75% load) coupled with squats and pull-ups. Snatch prep has also been on the menu with swings and get-ups of course.

My goal has been to prep my shoulder for heavy press training and A+A snatch training. I have lots of Geoff Neupert's programming but I'm not ready for prime time on that quite yet. This program may be the next hand hold in the climb for me.

I've learned what my shoulder will tolerate as I push/nudge it forward. It seems to thrive on 70% load and a little bit of 85-90%. Once a week might fit nicely for pushing it.

@Bret S.
during the 5 weeks I was also on an experimental Snatch protocol called 384 by @Hector G without getting into to much detail its a Power and strength program. I was training 4 days a week. as fare as diet went I found out I have a wheat allergy (which explains the last few years of consistent low grad head aches and congestion) so I was re-learning some eating habits, so all I really thought about was "is there wheat in this" and ate it if it didn't. I am a member of the late 20s club, with aspirations to make it to 50+ club in good health.

The best piece of advice is read the article at least twice as well and the comments on the bottom.

this program will work for you, its all about staying within 80% of your perceived max.

make sure to choose your "assistance" lifts that make you better or if you have a coach what she/he says. I chose dips, pull ups/OApushup progressions, and rows because I wanted to build up my triceps, delts and lats more for a larger base of support for pressing and the added hypertrophy is what I needed. But if thats not what you personally need you could do TGU/windmills for the stability mobility benefits. I believe Rif said he did High rep pushups 2 times a week as well and side snatches (or lateral raises?) basically assistance is there for some hypertrophy and to address your weaknesses.

I also suggest doing the optional light day and keep the rate of exertion around 50-60%. basically if you could do 10 reps go for 5-6 or if you could do 7 do 3-4. Its a good opportunity to practice id doesn't take much time. I ended up following a 5,3,1 rep with ramping weight, it worked nicely.

I would definitely give this program a go and see what you think, it defiantly works.
@Rif will probably give you way better answers to your quesions/any further questions you may have.

@Bret S.
during the 5 weeks I was also on an experimental Snatch protocol called 384 by @Hector G without getting into to much detail its a Power and strength program. I was training 4 days a week. as fare as diet went I found out I have a wheat allergy (which explains the last few years of consistent low grad head aches and congestion) so I was re-learning some eating habits, so all I really thought about was "is there wheat in this" and ate it if it didn't. I am a member of the late 20s club, with aspirations to make it to 50+ club in good health.

The best piece of advice is read the article at least twice as well and the comments on the bottom.

this program will work for you, its all about staying within 80% of your perceived max.

make sure to choose your "assistance" lifts that make you better or if you have a coach what she/he says. I chose dips, pull ups/OApushup progressions, and rows because I wanted to build up my triceps, delts and lats more for a larger base of support for pressing and the added hypertrophy is what I needed. But if thats not what you personally need you could do TGU/windmills for the stability mobility benefits. I believe Rif said he did High rep pushups 2 times a week as well and side snatches (or lateral raises?) basically assistance is there for some hypertrophy and to address your weaknesses.

I also suggest doing the optional light day and keep the rate of exertion around 50-60%. basically if you could do 10 reps go for 5-6 or if you could do 7 do 3-4. Its a good opportunity to practice id doesn't take much time. I ended up following a 5,3,1 rep with ramping weight, it worked nicely.

I would definitely give this program a go and see what you think, it defiantly works.
@Rif will probably give you way better answers to your quesions/any further questions you may have.

Thanks for the feedback @Maine-ah KB, I'll definitely study the format and come up with a working strategy.

On the no wheat diet. I had a bout with Candida around 2013, divorce, taxes, mega stress...blah..blah...blah.. It took me 3 years to beat it and I did it mostly with diet. The Candida diet is one of the most bland, restrictive diets around as you try to take in as little sugar or blood sugar raising foods as possible. If you want to get shredded try it. Anyway in the latter part of the battle I was able to eat Ezekiel bread, it's made from sprouted wheat instead of flour and isn't the usual evil wheat product. I still eat it occasionally, toasted tastes best, great for eggs and tuna.

I just did a quick look at the Candida diet and yeah I can see how that would get you abs. ill keep it in mind for when/if visible abs become a goal. Thanks @Bret S.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom