all posts post new thread

Barbell trouble progressing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

arice1905

First Post
Hi everyone!

So, I have been on the 5x5@5 program since the beginning of the year. I have made great progress, with each lift progressing around 15 lbs on my max every 8 weeks. However, there have been two cycles where I fail my 5x5@5. I can't put my finger on why this is happening. In fact, I also do 100 KB swings in the morning 3 to 4 times a week as well, and my strength has definitely went up because of this addition. However, my strength has also went down from the last cycle with my KB swings as well. My diet is on point and my work load (I'm a blacksmith) is relatively the same. Is this just something that happens every once in a while? It feels like something isn't dialed in correctly. I normally take 5-6 minute rests between sets, and I've documented that if I wait around 7 minutes, I lose strength to perform, same is if I take 3 to 4 minutes.

Practice is as follows:

Morning - 3 to 4 times a week - 100 KB swings w/ 24kg bell

Afternoon - M, T, Th, F - Deads, MP, Zercher Squat, Bench (respectively)

W, Sat, Sun - Off

Disclaimer:

There is one area of the 5x5@5 that I do not follow. I do not test my reps with 80% max. I have previously, and my number is always hovering around 85% of my max, which, in the book, Pavel says is pretty much the standard for experienced lifters. (I have been lifting for 15 years with one 5 year hiatus). I understand that I am not some elite lifter, but I do know a good bit about how my body performs. I wouldn't mind including the rep test into my routine, but I like lifting an 8 week cycle, and taking a week off, then repeating.

I also have not made time to do S&S by the book. I do not do the get-ups. I do the swings. I vary between the two handed and single handed.

Any suggestions of why I am experiencing this downturn in strength? I am on week 2 of another cycle starting today, and I can already feel that the weight isn't moving as it should to hit my 5x5@5. The last time that this happened, I introduced KB swings. My strength went up. Should I introduce get-ups or more core work? Should I change up my cycle? Thanks so much for everyone's time and patience!

Now that you're stronger, perhaps you need deloading more frequently. You could put a deload after week 5 so you have 5:1 when it's lighter and 3:1 when it's heavier.

Perhaps change the variations of the lifts you're doing for a couple cycles. Perhaps shift to 3x8 for a few cycles.

Could be fatigue, could be desensitization to the movements or the volume.

As @Bro Mo suggested, switch your lifts to variations of the push, pull and squats. I would also drop from 5 x 5 to a 3 x 5. As you progress with weights your body can only handle so much volume at the higher weights.

Pavel says is pretty much the standard for experienced lifters.

(I have been lifting for 15 years with one 5 year hiatus)

Any suggestions of why I am experiencing this downturn in strength?

Pavel is right.

You're an Intermediate lifter now and need to move beyond simple linear progression 5x5 programs and incorporate periodization.

Or you can go to Texas Method or any number of other periodized programs.

I personally like the Texas Method but find it to require a lot of tinkering to make it work for me. (I'm 45) Perhaps Madcow (HLM) would treat you well for a bit before you get to more complicated stuff. I personally like the Sheiko 29, 30,31,37 spreadsheets to be the easiest way for me to take all the thinking out of my workouts and the folks I help with programming. There is also the newer 4 days universal programs that work well but I prefer a spreadsheet so I just use the old ones.

I personally like the Texas Method but find it to require a lot of tinkering to make it work for me. (I'm 45) Perhaps Madcow (HLM) would treat you well for a bit before you get to more complicated stuff. I personally like the Sheiko 29, 30,31,37 spreadsheets to be the easiest way for me to take all the thinking out of my workouts and the folks I help with programming. There is also the newer 4 days universal programs that work well but I prefer a spreadsheet so I just use the old ones.
I'm partial to 10/20/Life. Been doing it since 2016 and still getting strong.

I just do my own programming at this point.

I've been competing in Oly lifting for 7 years; I know what needs to be done by now, as well as knowing where my weak spots are.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom