all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Troubleshooting pistols and PS70

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fredrik

Level 4 Valued Member
I am doing three lifts at the moment, pullups, KBMP and pistols. Pullups and presses feels much more straightforward for me than pistols. I can do BW pistols on both legs (4RM on left and 5RM on right leg) but it never gets easy on my left leg. On my right leg I can relax in the rock bottom of the pistol but staying in that position is more of a struggle on the left leg. The left knee also starts to travel inwards when I am tired and wobbles in the bottom position, whereas the right knee stays completely still when in the bottom position. What could be the problem? Have anyone experienced this? I am trying to build up to 8RM on both legs so that I can use BW for the lowest range in a PS70 cycle but I even if I would be able to cram out 8 reps I want it to feel stable before I start adding weight.
Admin feel free to move this thread to any category it fits best in.

@Fredrik,

The pistol is an interesting thing to consider for PlanStrong because, unlike the pullup, for many people it is _easier_ with more weight up to a certain point before it starts to get difficult again. I would be curious to know if doing a pistol with, e.g., an 8 or 12 kg weight is easier or harder for you than BW only.

Unilateral work is a strange thing - most of us who are right-handed experience that kind of thing you describe with your left leg. Probably good if you could work with someone in person or post video here of your pistol on both sides. I know that for myself, e.g., I have less dorsiflexion (a tighter, less mobile ankle) on my left than on my right, and this makes a big difference for me - it makes the bottommost position of the pistol on my left side harder, even without considering that I'm right handed and my right leg is stronger.

I will try to remember to ask Fabio about PS for pistols and see what he might have to say on the subject.

-S-

It is a little easier to do pistols on my left leg with 4,5 pounds held with straight arms. I do not have the problem of balance when doing them with a 12kg KB but then it is harder to stand up than with BW only. I have pretty good mobility to start with and can do BW squats with feet together and no rounding of the back so I am guessing it is a stability issue in the left leg/knee?
The pistol is the most challenging for me and pullups the least since I was a climber for many years which also means I didnt focus on my legs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom