all posts post new thread

Trying to be social about training

Social_Media_Hater

Level 5 Valued Member
My reason for starting this log can be gleaned from my username and the title of this log: I won't use social media, but I feel a need to make a public commitment to my training. I also hope that if I make mistakes someone can read about and learn from them. I have been lurking on this forum for some time now.

I am a middle aged man with a desk job. I am in my late 30ties and weigh about 230 pounds. I started using kettlebells (seriously, the spellchecker does not recognize kettlebell as a word?) during the pandemic. I think this is Day 63 of Simple and Sinister for me. I worked my way up to 24 kg one-handed swings and get ups. Since I have a desk job, I also sometimes workout in the afternoon.

I am on a general strength program. My goal is to be strong in a general manner. Well enough blabbering, time for the first log entry.

7/26/21
Morning
Day 63 of Simple and Sinister
100 One-handed Swings. 50 L, 50 R. 24 kg.
1 Turkish Get Up L and R 24 kg.
4 Turkish Get Up L and R 16 kg.
This was deloading on the get ups. I just didn't have it in my this morning.

Afternoon
Military Press 1 x 1-2-3 ladder 24 kg. I failed the last rep on the left so, MP 5 L, 6 R. I don't know if I leaned too far to the side due to a lack of strength, or poor form.
A number of unloaded getups, working on form. I am honestly not very good at them and I know I will eventually need to seek out coaching.

I think I am going to try Soju and Tuba in the afternoons to get my pressing numbers up. If I have to drop something, it will be whatever I am doing in the afternoon. My afternoon workouts also have to be kept at a volume that does not interfere with my morning Simple and Sinster workout.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Careful adding things (afternoon sessions) to s&s. I did this myself as i gained confidence in my strength and form in s&s. Ultimately led to medial epicondylitis from forcing out pull up reps after or during s&s. This was admittedly due to poor form, but i was putting all my form focus to s&s, not even thinking about pull up form.
Adding presses to spots in the tgu is always a good way to sneak in some extra work and still focus on the goal. Easy running or walking would most likely be the best supplement though. Welcome to the forums too!

Thanks for the welcomes.

@LarryB You are probably right. But, I think I can benefit from at least some pressing in the afternoon. So I have 4 MPs penciled in for tomorrow afternoon. When I fail a rep, I'll stop. Then I will either admit that adding stuff is counterproductive, or just cycle back to the beginning and try again. I will also quit the extra stuff if I think I am leaving the realm of everyday training.

7/27/21
Morning Day 64 of S&S
Swings: 50 R, 50 L. 24 kg
They felt crisp and explosive. I took 30 deep breaths worth of rest every two sets, 15 deep breaths between the other sets, and once recited the American Pledge of Allegiance under my breath to make sure I passed the talk test.
Get Ups: 5 L, 5 R 24 kg.
The ones on the right were much better then the ones on the left. I seem to learn better on my stronger side. This morning I was trying to pay extra attention to the side-hing when transitioning from the L position to lunge position and vice versa.

Afternoon
45 minute walk.
It is hot here, and I really don't like it hot.

I get it, i was doing it in my s&s session too. At least you are doing so in the afternoon. Just something to be mindful of.

7/28/21

Morning Day 65 of S&S
Every time I administered the talk test, I failed it, so I am going to increase my rest 30 deep breaths between each set. I guess just because I think I am well rested does not mean that I am.
Get ups: 5 L, 5 R. 24 kg
I didn't have any painful transitions from trying to do something I could do with a 16 kg bell, but found out that I shouldn't when moving to the 24 kg bell.

Lunchtime
About 1 hour walk

Afternoon
MP: 4x1 24 kg
I did them well with a long active negative. I still feel like I can keep going with the extra afternoon work (at this point, that is no surprise).

7/29/21

Morning Day 66 of S&S

With longer rests, the swings got better as I did more. A rather interesting phenomenon. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a perception, or if it was a real performance increase.

My left elbow quivered under the weight the entire time. Also on the last rep on the right, the elbow to hand transition was poor. My left arm is tired, I think it needs rest in the afternoon, and not presses. At least if I am to continue with everyday training, which I am trying to accomplish.

Lunchtime
Walk, not timed probably about a half an hour.

It seems I will be receiving my 32 kg bell shortly. I didn't write about it before because thinking about it would just make me impatient. I guess when I try to swing it with two hands I will find out just what I am going to be doing with it.

7/30/21

Morning Day 67 of S&S

Lunchtime
Walk, not timed or otherwise measured.

Afternoon
Received 32 kg kettlebell and put it through its paces.
Swings: 10 T, 5 R, 5L at 32 kg
Clean: 1 right and 1 left (did not try to press it) 32 kg
Wow is 32 kg heavy the first time you start to work with it.

MP: 6x1 24 kg
Honestly being able to clean and press the 32 kg bell with both hands has been one of my goals since I first touched a kettlebell. I think the idea entered my head because that Russian tough guy on Youtube (you know, the one that was actually saying sensible things) claims that being able to press the 32 kg bell is a rite of passage from boyhood to manhood in Russia.?

Welcome. Death to social media. Except this one. This one can stay.

Honestly being able to clean and press the 32 kg bell with both hands has been one of my goals since I first touched a kettlebell. I think the idea entered my head because that Russian tough guy on Youtube (you know, the one that was actually saying sensible things) claims that being able to press the 32 kg bell is a rite of passage from boyhood to manhood in Russia.?

You know, I would say that doing a technicallly-solid TGU with the 32 is the point where you cross the line from being a regular guy to being "someone who trains". I feels to me like you can out-work some technical flaws or weaknesses below the 32... but the 32 is where it starts to demand that you are strong at all angles.

7/31/21

Well, looks likes I am going to be a regular guy for the foreseeable future.

Morning Day 68 of S&S

Get ups: 1 L, 1 R. 24 kg
4 L, 4 R 16 kg

I did not sleep well. I also don't own 10 get ups per day at 24 kg as an accomplishment. The first time I managed a get up with my left hand was on 7/4/21.

Afternoon
Getting use to the 32 kg bell.
Swings: 3x10 T, 1x6 R, 1x2 L, 1x3L. 32 kg
Farmer's walking not measured in any meaningful way. 32 kg

8/1/21

Morning Day 69 of S&S

Swings: 100 T. 32 kg
I also used the 32 kg for the goblet squats during the warmup.

Get Ups: 5 L, 5 R. 24 kg
Wobbly and subpar, but I did them.

Afternoon
Has not happened yet, but I am not planning on doing much of anything.

8/2/21

Morning Day 70 of S&S

Swings: 90 R, 90 L. 24 kg. 10 R, 10 L. 32 kg
That was the second set. The one-handed swings with the 32 were poor, especially on the left, but I did them. Meanwhile when I restarted with the 24, I had to be careful not to swing over shoulder height.

Get Ups: 1 L, 1 R. 24 kg. 4 L, 4 R 16 kg.
I didn't feel like pushing through poor form again.

Lunchtime
Walk: untimed

Afternoon
MP: 8x1 24 kg

At least the 32 kg bell makes the 24 kg bell seem light.

8/3/21

Morning Day 71 of S&S

Swings: 40 R, 40 L. 24kg. 10 R, 10L. 32kg. Adds to 100 total
My last post certainly implies that I can't count to 100. Of course now that I mentioned it, fixing it seems impractical.

Lunchtime
Walk untimed.

Afternoon
1x12 hand-to-hand swings. 24 kg
1x10 hand-to-hand swings 24 kg
This was suppose to be practice and a form check. I did not drop the bell, but I don't think my form was great.

Racked carries unmeasured 24 kg
This was me bringing the 24 kg bell outside so I could intentionally increase the risk of me dropping it. Going up and down two flights of stairs certainly made this seem like exercise, and it was hard to catch my breath.

8/4/21

Morning Day 72 of S&S

I also did the goblet squats in the warmup with 32 kg. I didn't do much prying, but I did squat low.

Get Ups: 2 L, 2 R. 24 kg. 3 L, 3 R. 16 kg
I was tired from the swings and I was running behind schedule, so I switched to the 16.

Lunchtime
Untimed walk.

Afternoon

MP: 10x1. 24 kg
These were easy on the right, but difficult on the left. I really should no rep the last one on the left for excessive side lean. But it did go up, and I did not experience pain. So I am going to keep going, maybe I will make it over the first bump, maybe not.

8/5/21

Morning Day 73 of S&S

Getups: 5 L, 5 R. 24 kg

I felt terrible in both exercises: no power, no endurance, and poor form. I know this feeling, so I stepped on the bathroom scale. 225 lbs. I lost 5 lbs in about a week and a half. I really have to watch that; I thought I was in maintenance, and 5 lbs is a lot in such a short time.

Lunchtime
Untimed walk.

I got away for a few days. Thursday night to Saturday night.

8/6/21

Getups: 1 1/2 L, 1 R. 24 kg
I was trying to do these on an uneven surface. I gave it a shot, but had a scare, so I cut it out. I substituted:
Overhead carries: 30 paces R, 20 paces L, 10 paces R, 10 paces L. 24 kg.
Walk: About a mile on uneven sand in the ocean deep enough that being knocked over by a wave was a real concern.
Afternoon: 1 clean and and press per side, 24 kg

8/7/21

Clean and Press: 6 R, 6 L. 24 kg
Walk: 2.6 miles according to random trail signs.

8/8/21

Morning Day 76 of S&S

Get Ups: 5 L, 5 R. 16 kg
I was too tired for 24 kg after the 32 kg swings.

8/9/21

Morning Day 77 of S&S

Swings 40 R, 40 L. 24 kg. 10 R, 10 L. 32 kg
Get Ups (Press, roll, elbow, hand, and back again only): 7 L, 7 R. 24 kg

I got tired of being bad at get ups, so I am going to work individual pieces to perfection and try to put it back together again.

Afternoon

Get Ups (Press, roll to elbow, hand and back again only): 3 L, 3 R. 24 kg
I tried to at least press the 32 kg bell for a frame of reference. That was a no go on the left. The right was very shaky, but I think my elbow locked out properly.

8/10/21

Morning Day 78 of S&S

Swings 40 R, 40 L. 24 kg. 10 R, 10 L. 32 kg
Get Ups (Press, roll to elbow, hand, and back again only): 5 L, 5 R. 24 kg

Lunchtime
Untimed walk.

Afternoon
Get Ups: 1 L, 1 R. 24 kg

I am tired. I wish I had more to say.

8/11/21

Morning Day 79 of S&S

I used a slightly more aggressive hike-back for the 8th and 10th sets. I think I managed to do them faster, and I feel good.
I certainly feel more confident about the first and last three steps of the get up. Maybe my form improved, or maybe it is just self confidence. I couldn't possibly have gotten stronger after two days.

Back
Top Bottom