all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Trying to convince Wife on the value of Kettlebell swings

WhomtheBellTolls

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello my StrongFriends

Bit of background first. My Wife was very athletic growing up. Was a state swimmer/ net baller and long distance runner.
She has had a long lay off from training due to having 4 kids. With the eldest being 12 now and youngest being 4.
She is 39 years and the only real exercise she has done since having kids is walking the dogs and occasionally swimming laps. If she isn’t at work she is looking after the kids and can only walk the dogs when I’m not at work.
I have been trying to talk her into training with kettle bells as she can do them at home, even when the kids are here.
I’m hoping for some expert Swingers to try and convince her that she should give them a go and what would be the best program for someone to follow that is getting back into strength training and just looking to improve there fitness, strength and general health without getting bulky?
Thanks in advance

Hello my StrongFriends

Bit of background first. My Wife was very athletic growing up. Was a state swimmer/ net baller and long distance runner.
She has had a long lay off from training due to having 4 kids. With the eldest being 12 now and youngest being 4.
She is 39 years and the only real exercise she has done since having kids is walking the dogs and occasionally swimming laps. If she isn’t at work she is looking after the kids and can only walk the dogs when I’m not at work.
I have been trying to talk her into training with kettle bells as she can do them at home, even when the kids are here.
I’m hoping for some expert Swingers to try and convince her that she should give them a go and what would be the best program for someone to follow that is getting back into strength training and just looking to improve there fitness, strength and general health without getting bulky?
Thanks in advance
It's a great question.
Certainly don't do what I have done and prescribe them as a solution for the house being too cold; wife: "I'm cold", me: "do some Kettlebell swings" :)
I've come to the conclusion that my wife needs a social element to her training.
I do kickboxing twice a week which gets me out of the house and around people I know and trust. So kettlebell training at home for me is fine as a solitary pursuit.

I'd probably recommend an A+A approach where I personally don't break a sweat. The classic movement snack approach rather than a sweaty workout.

I have been trying to talk her into training with kettle bells...I’m hoping for some expert Swingers to try and convince her that she should give them a go
"You can lead a horse to water but you can make it drink."

For whatever reason, it doen't appear to her.

The realiity is that trying her to do something you like but she is not interested is not going to work.

Even mildly pressuring her is going led to resentment on her part toward you.

As per...

Pavel On Motivation

"Over the years, people have ask me, why don't I offer motivation tips. The answer is that I have none. We are all adults here; either you have it or you don't."

Was a state swimmer/ net baller and long distance runner.

What Appears To Her?

You need to appear to something that she likes.

Individual are more likely to stick with something they like to do.

Based on the above information something like running or swimming.

I understand her time constraints. Something like taking the dog for a run might work.

Summary

Focus on finding something that she likes.

Hello my StrongFriends

Thanks in advance
Is she interested in exercising at all? If so, what does she talk about wanting to do?

Is she interested in exercising at all? If so, what does she talk about wanting to do?

A good point. And "what does she talk about wanting to do?" can be a very different question than "what does she talk about wanting to achieve?" so it's good to consider what a trainee's perspective on this is, too.

-S-

This seems like a relationship issue, not a strength question. Why not start doing active things together more? Start taking longer walks together every evening and perhaps the conversation will evolve naturally. The way this post is phrased is you want her to get fit again, not that the desire was rising internally from her.

You might consider offering to get her a fitness assessment with a PT or trainer she knows and respects. I've learned through hard experience that when the advice/encouragement comes from a spouse/partner, no matter how well meaning, it can be misinterpreted or dismissed outright.

Good luck… I’ve never been able to convince my wife of the value of anything….
True.

Another truth:

"You can lead a horse to water..."

Also true:

The Swing is a great exercise, but it doesn't mean everyone needs to perform Swings.

A good hip hinge is a pre-requisite, so Kettlebell Deadlifts are a good start. And most women prefer Romanian Deadlifts to work their butt and hamstrings along with Hip Thrusts.

If she's interested in resistance training, I would figure out what parts of her body she wants to work and find basic exercises to do that.

Later down the road, she may be interested in Swings.

Remember, the majority of people just need to perform 3 total-body sessions each week that hit a squat, hinge, push, pull, and carry (or something else).

As discussed here many times, no one _needs_ to load all those movement patterns.

-S-
Yes, I know your stance on this.

And I disagree.

I believe Minimalist programs with two exercises should be used IN ADDITION to other training/sports training or when used in small doses (6-12 weeks) for specific purposes.

But those that are beginners or just weak need to train the basic movement patterns rather than only using a minimalist program.

Back
Top Bottom