all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Trying to convince Wife on the value of Kettlebell swings

Is she interested in exercising at all? If so, what does she talk about wanting to do?

I think we have that:

just looking to improve there fitness, strength and general health without getting bulky

I’m hoping for some expert Swingers to try and convince her that she should give them a go

Swings are great!

I second the suggestion for a few sessions with an instructor.

S&S would be a great program for her objectives.

Hello my StrongFriends

Bit of background first. My Wife was very athletic growing up. Was a state swimmer/ net baller and long distance runner.
She has had a long lay off from training due to having 4 kids. With the eldest being 12 now and youngest being 4.
She is 39 years and the only real exercise she has done since having kids is walking the dogs and occasionally swimming laps. If she isn’t at work she is looking after the kids and can only walk the dogs when I’m not at work.
I have been trying to talk her into training with kettle bells as she can do them at home, even when the kids are here.
I’m hoping for some expert Swingers to try and convince her that she should give them a go and what would be the best program for someone to follow that is getting back into strength training and just looking to improve there fitness, strength and general health without getting bulky?
Thanks in advance
Right out of the gate you could teach her a single bell press and a front squat and a loaded or unloaded GU. Work in some back to wall Dl's to groove the hinge. See how that goes and maybe buy her a few sessions with a SFG.

See if she even wants to do dedicated resistance work. Then see what she’s willing to do. It might be a membership to a local gym with a mix of machines and freeweights is a better fit. As for the swings, she might start off better just doing Good Mornings and broad jumps.

My experience is that people find their way to kettlebells, not the other way around.

I have very similar concerns/desires about my girlfriend to exercise. But as long as it is the spouse’s concern or desire, but not the person’s him/her self , it is very difficult to move the needle. It’s not a fun place to be in, but exercise is really a very personal choice.

Ps: Many women who don’t exercise fear that they will get bulky if they do resistance training. Though it sounds funny, this might a mental barrier for many.

Thanks for all the reply’s.
So to clear things up. After all this time off she wants to get her body back. She’s not over weight by any means, she just wants to get fit and strong again.
I’m not trying to be her coach.. Yes Kettlebells are my thing and my reasons are because I’m short of time and I can use them at home with the kids here.
Which is the same position that my wife is in.
You guys are right that she will only do it if she’s interested in it and yes she never listens to my advice anyways.. That’s where I was hoping you guys could help with your success stories or even an article that might get her interested!
If we can get her interested then the next step would be to book a couple lessons with a trainer.

Thanks for all the reply’s.
So to clear things up. After all this time off she wants to get her body back. She’s not over weight by any means, she just wants to get fit and strong again.
I’m not trying to be her coach.. Yes Kettlebells are my thing and my reasons are because I’m short of time and I can use them at home with the kids here.
Which is the same position that my wife is in.
You guys are right that she will only do it if she’s interested in it and yes she never listens to my advice anyways.. That’s where I was hoping you guys could help with your success stories or even an article that might get her interested!
If we can get her interested then the next step would be to book a couple lessons with a trainer.
Some histories and success stories in this thread... this is a link to mine. Other/Mixed - Strength Training Journeys

That’s where I was hoping you guys could help with your success stories or even an article that might get her interested!

My success stories all involve me painfully learning not to try to be my wife's trainer or coach her technique when I see her doing something, for the sake of marital happiness.

It sounds like youve come to a conclusion.
One more idea; Iron Cardio has a full workout video that could be done as a follow along.

My girlfriend refuses to even try swings or Turkish get ups. I’ve found she loves dumbbell/kb deadlifts, squats, and single arm OH lunges at home. Baby steps

Kettlebell has a learning curve. Its not just picking up a weight and putting it down. So unless someone enjoys fitness they may not want to put in the effort to learn. I have my wife doing Sumo Deadlifts with a Kettlebell. Its easier to learn.

Back
Top Bottom