all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Trying to run

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I decided to give running a try. I've always wished I was a better runner and am looking for something to do for cardio. My first goal is just to go the 1/2 mile around the block without stopping but it's only a minute or so before I have to stop and walk. I think my form is ok. It feels relaxed and comfy when I start, I just get out of breath. And I think it will be some time for my muscles to get used to it. I've only been doing this for just over a week though. Do I just need to give it more time? How quickly does a beginner usually improve?

Yes you need to give it time. How much? Depends on a lot of things.
How old you are.
What your running (and other training) aspirations are. (How much are you willing to dedicate to this...)
And a host of other things.

But don't be thinking weeks as a measuring stick. Think many months, and into years.
While it's true that beginners will often see an 'improvement' early on, they won't see life altering gains for a long time. It takes a significant amount of time to build a sound and robust aerobic base, but it's worth it.

Another thing... there is no rush. Ease into running slowly. Often times it's said not to increase distance by more than 10% per week. I use to think that was excessively conservative. Now I think it may be way to liberal. Running (like most things) can be damaging if not engaged in properly.

And yet another thing.... it never really gets 'easier'.... you just get faster...

Roger Bannister, the first known runner to break the four minute mile, had much of his training consist of running a quarter mile, having a recovery period, then repeating the process multiple times. There is no shame in running for short periods of time before having a recovery period.

Thanks for the reassurance. I have no plans to run a marathon or win races but it would be nice to be able to do a 30 or 45 minute easy run as a form of cardio. I also think trail running would be fun but to do that I have to be able to run.

In addition to the above, absolutely jotting wrong in adopting a walk/jog approach. For a beginner, or a seasoned runner returning from injury, I would advise it. It all amounts to time on your feet, regardless of the pace. Aim for twenty mins total, gradually decrease the walk ratio in relation to the jog. And try not to fall in the chasing the mileage trap, let time be a measure of volume. Some days you will cover further distance over 20mins than other days. As for the trails, no reason not to adopt a walk/jog approach off road, you may even find it more enjoyable.

Why not try a couch to 5k program? It also wouldn't hurt to run S&S simultaneously either.
That's not a bad idea. Swings don't agree with my back but, after reading your post, I was just looking at a couch to 5k that seems reasonable.

My fear is that I tend to have trouble keeping up with pre-written programs. They always progress faster than I can keep up and I end up feeling beat up and frustrated. But I suppose there's no reason I can't make adjustments if necessary.

That's not a bad idea. Swings don't agree with my back but, after reading your post, I was just looking at a couch to 5k that seems reasonable.

My fear is that I tend to have trouble keeping up with pre-written programs. They always progress faster than I can keep up and I end up feeling beat up and frustrated. But I suppose there's no reason I can't make adjustments if necessary.

All programs require some adjustments in order for you to keep making progress.

However C25K seems to work very well. People who are old, obese and never trained in their lives seem to have success with it.

And it pretty much starts off with run walks. A lot of run walking. So imagine running for 30 seconds and then walking for a few minutes. Repeating that a bunch of time with distance slowly growing.

Swings can be a lot to begin with. Especially those with a glass back. My wife's lower back gets incredibly tight and sore from very little working sets. She likes the tactical barbell approach of 1 working set of deadlifts per week. She is also a strong squatter and likes to squat 3 times a week.

However she likes S&S. She started off with a really light bell and built up very slowly over time. 12kg IIRC.

No reasoned why you couldn't do the same. Start off with an 8 kg bell and build up VERY slowly over time. Putting more focus on the C25K program and using S&S as an accessory. Therefore not as important as C25K. It is there to enhance your results.

A couple of things to bare in mind.

- Stretching your hamstrings, hip flexors, calves and tibs post run and whenever these areas are feeling tight during the day. Very important for preventing injury.

- Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water and salt all of your meals.

- Run slowly for all of the running portions of your program.

I won't bombard you with foot strike or anything like that. Right now it is more important to get you on the path to being active.

"run less, run faster" has a chapter devoted to new runners. The book is published by Runners World and is basically the program developed by the Furman institue of Running and Scientific Training. Programs range from new runner 5k all the way to marathon. Available on Kindle.

FIRST - FIRST

Built around 3 keys runs a week - so will leave plenty of time for other training.

Best of luck to you

"run less, run faster" has a chapter devoted to new runners. The book is published by Runners World and is basically the program developed by the Furman institue of Running and Scientific Training. Programs range from new runner 5k all the way to marathon. Available on Kindle.

FIRST - FIRST

Built around 3 keys runs a week - so will leave plenty of time for other training.

Best of luck to you
I feel like such a dummy, I forgot I had that book in my bookshelf. It's in my hand now and I'll be reviewing it today.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom