all posts post new thread

TSC TSC, October 2017 - Can I do it?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harry Westgate

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello all,

I feel like I need something to train for, and there is a TSC facility on 28th October a reasonable distance from me.

A few stats about me:
  • 21 years old
  • 5'8 (5'9 if I stand up really, really tall)
  • ~72kg and reasonably lean (flat, hard stomach, maybe 15%BF?) but I'm doing the Hit The Target Fat Loss Plan for a few weeks because I prefer being sub-70kg
  • Currently doing Simple & Sinister and virtually at Simple standard (I could do it, just not every time)
  • Haven't deadlifted in too long, but I know how to
  • Haven't done pull-ups in too long (though I reckon a run of the Fighter Pull-up Program would do me a world of good - my best ever effort for tactical pull-ups was 16 IIRC)
  • I know how to snatch, and can snatch, but haven't trained the move consistently in nearly two years

As I understand it, the Tactical Strength Challenge is exactly that - a challenge, as opposed to a competition as such. I.e. it doesn't really matter if I don't do all that well, even though there are leaderboards.

However, I'd quite like to have something to focus my training on, since I'm currently just training to be 'ready for anything', which has it's charms, but like I say, it'd be nice to have something to aim for.

If I decided to go for it, I'd probably base my training on the following article:
TSC Training Plans for Athletes of All Levels

Therefore I'm not asking for training advice per se, but if anyone has suggestions, they are of course welcome.

What to people think? Should I look into going for it? Or have I left it a bit late to start training for such a specific event and should I therefore look at entering the next TSC? In addition, can anyone clarify which division I would be eligible for (I assume Men's Novice, but thought I'd best check)?

Thanks in advance,

Harry

@jef Righty righty. I'll look at arrangements for getting to the event in that case and then book it at the weekend!

I think I'll continue S&S as I have been for the remainder of the week, and then at the weekend try to establish a baseline for my pull-ups and deadlift as well as writing out my plan of attack from next week onward. :)

Oh, and are you able to confirm that I'd enter in the Men's Novice division..?

@Harry Westgate, there are some really great blogs on the training for the TSC here on the web site - I'd consider reading all of them and putting together your training plan based on one of those.

To the best of my knowledge, you can enter any division at any time, i.e., you can start with Open or Novice or Elite, and although I don't think anyone's done it yet, you could even move _backwards_ and do a Novice after you've done an Open (although I can't imagine _why_ anyone would want to do that...)

-S-

Hello all,

I feel like I need something to train for, and there is a TSC facility on 28th October a reasonable distance from me.

A few stats about me:
  • 21 years old
  • 5'8 (5'9 if I stand up really, really tall)
  • ~72kg and reasonably lean (flat, hard stomach, maybe 15%BF?) but I'm doing the Hit The Target Fat Loss Plan for a few weeks because I prefer being sub-70kg
  • Currently doing Simple & Sinister and virtually at Simple standard (I could do it, just not every time)
  • Haven't deadlifted in too long, but I know how to
  • Haven't done pull-ups in too long (though I reckon a run of the Fighter Pull-up Program would do me a world of good - my best ever effort for tactical pull-ups was 16 IIRC)
  • I know how to snatch, and can snatch, but haven't trained the move consistently in nearly two years

As I understand it, the Tactical Strength Challenge is exactly that - a challenge, as opposed to a competition as such. I.e. it doesn't really matter if I don't do all that well, even though there are leaderboards.

However, I'd quite like to have something to focus my training on, since I'm currently just training to be 'ready for anything', which has it's charms, but like I say, it'd be nice to have something to aim for.

If I decided to go for it, I'd probably base my training on the following article:
TSC Training Plans for Athletes of All Levels

Therefore I'm not asking for training advice per se, but if anyone has suggestions, they are of course welcome.

What to people think? Should I look into going for it? Or have I left it a bit late to start training for such a specific event and should I therefore look at entering the next TSC? In addition, can anyone clarify which division I would be eligible for (I assume Men's Novice, but thought I'd best check)?

Thanks in advance,

Harry
I'm exactly where you are: finishing Simple, learning to barbell deadlift, practicing the snatch. And I'm planning to participate in my first TSC this fall too. I am going with Men's Novice until someone tells me I need to be in Open. I only have a 16, 24, and 32 kilo bell so while snatch in Men's Novice is 20 kilo, my 24 kilo prep should help me all the more.

In July and August I'm continuing S&S 3-4 days a week (with the aim of nailing the S&S time standard at 32kg soon), but have added the Daily Dose Deadlift plan, and weekly snatch practice (3 per side on the minute, starting with 10 minutes building up to 20 minutes by the end of August). GTG pull-ups semi-randomly (set of 3 as I am able to - home, playground with the kids, etc).

In September I will begin TSC training using the link you referenced. I took that plan and plotted it out for myself in a Google Doc - may be useful for you too! I modified the plan as written slightly on advice from @Anna C - twice in October I plan for deadlift, pull-up, and snatch practice on the same day, with the same 45-60 minute break between them: a mini-TSC as it were.

Good luck to you! Start a training log (or log your TSC prep if you already have a log) so we can follow your progress! Link to my training log is in my signature.

@Steve Freides gotcha, I shall have a more thorough read over the next couple of days, though the one I put a link to above does look like one I'd enjoy and gain a lot from, since it incorporates 2-3 days of S&S amongst the other training. Still, I shall do my research. Thank you for your input!

As for the division I'd enter, having looked at each one, I think I'd be a fool not to enter the Novice division (20kg snatch) for my first go at it. I'll be snatching 24kg in my training since I don't currently have a 20kg, but for that reason I think I'd be best off entering at Novice - training with a heavier weight than I'll use on fight night.

@Sean M similar to you, I only have a 16, 24, 32, and 40. It seems we're in a similar mindset regarding training the snatch. Best of luck to you too! Mind if I ask your stats? Height, weight, age, etc.?

@Steve Freides really..? I mean, I appreciate your apparent confidence in me, but... really? The thought of snatching a 24kg under pressure makes me a little nervous...

@Steve Freides really..? I mean, I appreciate your apparent confidence in me, but... really? The thought of snatching a 24kg under pressure makes me a little nervous...
I'm planning Novice but honestly will decide near the registration deadline depending on how the snatch training goes. Now that I think of it, I believe you can change your division after registering?

My stats: 6', 200lb, 30.

@Harry Westgate
About 7 months before my SFG cert, I had NEVER snatched anything heavier than a 16kg. Snatching a 24kg just scared me, I thought I would break my arm.
I went to see senior SFG @Pavel Macek to check my form on the big six, and accidently snatched a 20 kg (I thought it was a 16kg). Accidental PR seem to happen in his gym... If you have proper snatch technique with a light kettlebell and can swing a heavy one, do not worry about 24kg snatches.

Granted, I did fail my snatch test at the event by a few reps, but achieving 97 snatches in 5 min when I could not even imagine to snatch once a 24 kg a few months earlier was great!
My technique was good with a 16kg and I was around the simple standard for swings. I am 171cm small, weight between 68-72 kg, am 20 years older than you.

To make it short: considering your current level (around simple), your age, your motivation, go for the open category.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will go for the Open category after all. I'll be making all the necessary arrangements over the weekend :).

Oh and also...

I'm doing the Hit The Target Fat Loss Plan for a few weeks

No I'm not... I've just had a review of the volume of training I'm going to be doing and I can't see eating in such an aggressive calorie deficit ending well. Instead I'm just gonna focus on eating enough as I feel I need to for fuel (I'll be leaning towards fats and protein and away from carbs) while letting sensible combinations of food take care of getting leaner - Harry's returning to the Warrior Diet by the looks of it (I'm gonna start another thread regarding this soon - some of you may have seen the thread I posted about 8 or 9 months ago and remember that I fell out of love with the Warrior Diet due to awkward shift work seemingly making it less effective. I will address this at some point, as I re-read the book and think that my observations may help a lot of people out).

Fabio Zonin even said in the original HTT article that he maintained strength. I don't recall him saying anything about gaining it - beyond pull-ups getting easier that is. Plus on top of keeping an accurate training log I simply can't be bothered with meticulously tracking food intake as well.

Now please excuse me while I go and gorge myself on pistachios. :)

@Harry Westgate Since it's your first TSC, here is my advice. Focus on building the snatch. Your pull up number are already good and will easily be maintained will little to no work as you improve your snatch. Focus on grooving the deadlift to build confidence, but trust me, if you improve your snatch, your deadlift should only improve at the level you are at. Good luck and don't stress too much about hitting certain numbers. Enjoy the experience and the community!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom