all posts post new thread

TSC Tsc template

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Timothy Friel

Level 5 Valued Member
I am planning on doing my first tsc in april 2017. I'll be ending a block of s&s with weighted pullups and double bell squats the first week in January then move into my specific plan. It'll look like this I'm hoping
Day1 and 4
Deadlift, fighter pullup and s&s swings
Day 2 and 5
Double bell squats, fighter pullup and snatches
Day 3 would be fighter pullup only

Would love some feedback. Thanks all

Last edited:
In your 5 day cycle, you Deadlift twice, Snatch twice, and do Pull Ups 5 times. Why? Are Pull Ups your weakest event?

Wanted to take the strength from heavy weighted pullups and transfer it to a more strength endurance aspect for getting high reps.

OK. So you'll have about 3 months of prep. What's your Deadlift plan? Have you ever pulled near max singles? How are you going approach a 5 minute snatch test? How's your technique?

Last edited:
Will work in 2 6 week blocks using forces progression after the first 6 weeks. Deadlift would work like so:
Week 1 70% 5x5, week 2 80% 5x5, week 3 90% 5x3, week 4 75% 5x5, week 5 85% 5x3 and week 6 95% 5x1-2. Essentially a template from tactical barbell. Then add 10lbs to max and repeat.

Snatches was thinking a every minute on the minute protocol using a 32kg for low reps

At least once before the competition (and don't do this inside of 3 to 4 weeks prior), I'd take whatever size bell you will be using, and snatch it for 5 minutes. You *should* have an idea of what kind of numbers you want to hit, so you can pace yourself at x number of reps per minute as the set progresses. You don't have to go all out (and certainly don't rip your hands up), but a 5 minute continuous set is a different beast than 5 snatches left hand/5 snatches right hand/park the bell/rest until the minute is up. If you've never done something like a 5 minute snatch test, the tendency is to go too fast in the beginning, and fade at the end.

I've used a similar template to what's below. Unless you need to practice snatch technique, I'd skip snatches in favor of S&S (with at least 2-3 sizes larger than your snatch test bell) and some double bell swings using two of your snatch test bells. Your snatch endurance & number will still probably surprise you at the TSC. Fighter pull-up program (FPP) is good, but if you do everything you listed, you're likely to end up with more than a little elbow discomfort. Doing TGUs, hollow holds/rockers, and hanging leg raises (HLR) will help your pull-ups tremendously (seems weird, I know, but it's true).

What I'd suggest... (also, don't be afraid to skip FPP if you're starting to even remotely feel any elbow discomfort)

Day 1: DL (light day), Dbl KB Swings 10x10 @ Snatch Test Size w/S&S style rest periods, Hollow practice or Hanging Leg Raises (HLR)
Day 2: S&S, FPP
Day 3: S&S, FPP
Day 4: Off (do NOT do FPP or ab work here or DLs will suffer tomorrow)
Day 5: DL (heavy day), S&S swings only, Hollow practice or HLR
Day 6: S&S, FPP
Day 7: Off

What percentages and rep ranges do you recommend for deads? Also when splitting fpp up like that do you still follow the same progressions? And I see no squatting is that rite

Thanks, @DavThew ! I'm glad I could help, and I hope and am pretty sure that you'll have a blast at the TSC. Let me know if you have any questions as your training progresses...

@Timothy Friel , good questions! For FPP, yes, still follow the progression. It just doesn't fit nicely into a week, so you'll have to "really" keep track of where you are in the program.

Correct on the lack of squats... Squat pries are, of course, the exception to that. Good for warming up and loosening up the hips (and keeping the squat pattern in your training).

There are so many options for DLs, and it really depends on your experience and frequency of training.

If your training age for the DL is still relatively new and you can train 4-5 days/week, Power to the People is a good plan. Basically...
  • Do 2 warm-up sets of 5 reps
  • Do 2x5 (sets x reps) work sets
  • Start the program at about 80% effort (80% of 1RM if you know it or "perceived challenge" if you don't)
  • Add 2% every session
  • Stop when you can't make the 2nd set of 5 reps (stop the set before failure)
  • Take a day off
  • Drop 10-15% and re-start
If you're intermediate/advanced or can only train 2x/week (which fits quite well with the above program), Power to the People 2.0 is fantastic. (I went from a 510-lb DL to 540 following the plan as specified below.)
  • Train 2x/week
  • Warm up by doing one set each x5, 3, 2 (at easy-to-calculate weights... I just used 225, 315, something under that day's working weight... which ended up being about 60%, 75%, & 90% of the day's working weight)
  • Do one set each x5, 3, 2 at the working weight; start the program at about 70% of 1RM
  • Add 5-15 lbs (3-5% of 1RM) total each session (keep this the same throughout the program... i.e. add 10 lbs every session) until you reach your 5RM
  • Next session, add weight as usual, but only do x3 and 2
  • Next session, only do x2
  • Next session, test your 1RM (if TSC day); otherwise re-start the program @ 10-20 lbs more than the first time around
  • Do 3x5 back-off sets at about 70% effort with an alternate stance (i.e. sumo if you normally do conventional, and vice versa)
Note that it's a LOT of deadlifting, and naps will be your friend. :)

Also, PTP 2.0 takes a little planning in order for your test day to fall on the TSC day. If you're not very experienced with planning that out, I'd just plan to finish the program a couple weeks early and then do 3x3 at about 80-85% for the weeks leading up to the TSC and 1-2x2 at 90% on the Monday before.

I've found a 11 week deadlift cycle using only singles. Percentages ramp up from 70 to about 95 before competition. 2 sessions a week one being a lighter session and one heavier e.g. 70% day 1 and 80% day 2. Think it might fit well with the template you offered.

I've also just started training for April's TSC. I have just learned how to Snatch, and stated deadlifting.

I've been following the Beginner TSC Plan for Novice Competitors on a 6 day cycle. DL Day, GS Day, Rest/Mobility Day, DL Day, GS Day, Rest Day.

Attempting the Snatches LH switch mid swing RH repeat OTM kicked my rear. I switched to LH reps sit KB down then OTM RH reps, repeat for 7 sets. This worked out much better for me as I'm still dialing in form.

@Ryan Toshner, thanks for mentioning doing the snatches with S & S type rest periods, that is the answer to one question I came in to ask.

2nd Q would be: How often should I attempt doing the full set (RH + LF) OTM?

and 3rd: Being new to barbell deadlift, I expect fairly rapid gains in the beginning. How often should I test 1RM to reset working weights? Or should I just keep adding 10 lbs/week and cycle as noted in the linked article?

Thanks

On a side note. I am very happy that I didn't start learning the snatch until I had a strong swing. Left a lot of the thinking out of the learning curve :)

@Ryan Toshner - do you think that this would be a good way to cut the plan you outlined above?

Essentially turning 2 weeks into 3 to give myself adequate rest/time for other activities. I thought maybe some extra TGUs with rucks as my hips will be getting some work that day, but I will also need that overhead shoulder stability to be safe in my snatches.

M- DL (llight), Dbl KB swings, hollow practice
T -TKD
W - Ruck
T - S&S FPP
F -S&S FPP
S - Off
S- TKD

M - DL (heavy), S&S swings only, Hollow practice
T -TKD
W - Ruck (+/- TGUS)
T - S&S FPP
F - Off
S - DL (light), Dbl swings, hollow pracice
S- TKD

M - S&S FPP
T -TKD
W - Ruck (+/- TGU)
T - S&S FPP
F - Off
S - DL (heavy), S&S swings only, hollow practice
S- TKD

As a qualifier: as interested as I am in doing the TSC I would not be willing to sacrifice either my martial arts or rucking to compete. This April will be my first TSC. I'm happy to turn up on the day, see how well I do and aim to improve next year, I know there will be guys out there with much better numbers than me, and it'll be great to meet them.

I've wanted to take part in a tsc for some time but do to work schedule could not train consistently. I actually changed shifts just to give me more draining time. Just hoping I don't get promoted till after April now!!

@jrosto , you have plenty of time yet to practice snatches (I think we have 3 1/2 months or so before the TSC). I'd figure out how many snatches you can do each minute sort of comfortably... let's say that's 8 reps (i.e. 8 L, rest remainder of minute, 8R, rest remainder of min). Follow the format from the program, but start out with x4/4 instead of x7/7.

Re: deadlifting and 1RM... follow what the article says for the next 6-7 weeks (until 8 weeks before the TSC). i.e. 4 weeks forward, restart at week 2's weight. If it feels particularly easy, maybe restart at week 2's weight + 5 lbs. In the off- or pre-season -- which is a way to describe where we are currently if the TSC is your "season" -- don't worry to much about being precise. Just add a little weight if it feel particularly light. Drop a little weight if it feels particularly heavy.

@DavThew , week 3 looks good. I think the heavy DLs on week 2 being sandwiched between two days of TKD would be pretty brutal. Below might be a slightly better option (* next to a day is the changed day, for ease of reference)... On week 2, "medium" DL day is just something between light & heavy (either total reps/session or weight, depending on what type of DL program you choose to follow).

M- DL (light), Dbl KB swings, hollow practice
T -TKD
W - Ruck
T - S&S FPP
F* - Off
S* - DL (heavy), S&S swings only, Hollow practice
S- TKD

M* - S&S FPP
T -TKD
W - Ruck (+/- TGUS)
T - S&S FPP
F - Off
S* - DL (medium), Dbl swings, hollow pracice
S- TKD

@Timothy Friel , if technique practice is what you feel you need, after warming up do 2-3 x5/5 snatches EVERY session. It's not much to add to any particular session and shouldn't be too difficult. But even if you only do 2x5/5 every session, that's 50 reps/hand worth of practice each week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom