all posts post new thread

TSC TSC Training - Deployed Military

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Whiskey_Fox

Level 5 Valued Member
So my teammates and I are currently deployed and will compete at the TSC this spring via video submission.

Anyone else out there deployed/TDY going to compete via video submission?

What are you prioritizing in preparation?

-Whiskey_Fox

Whiskey_Fox,

First of all, thank you for your service. Secondly, thank you for being interested in the TSC.

I've done my share of deployments but have not yet done a TSC. So I can chime in on training while deployed, but not specifically training for a TSC.

On one deployment, I did the 'Right of Passage' program. I absolutely LOVED it. It was very easy to combine 3 KB sessions each week w/ whatever operations I was doing. I've written about it on the blog, but the results were amazing. I was skeptical at the time, so I tested a bunch of different things before deploying (bench, pull-ups, dead lift, vertical leap, 3 mile timed run as examples). Somehow, after those months of ONLY doing KB Clean & Press ladders and KB swings, all of my 'measurables' either improved or at least maintained. It was really cool. There were, however, a couple of times on that deployment where I took the 'testing' a little too far. Once in awhile, I would test the 10min snatch test @ 24kg. One time in particular, I went really hard. Thankfully, we did not 'work' that day / evening. When we worked the next 'day or evening' (trying not to be specific), I was still pretty sore and tired. The lesson: don't go to all out max on deployment unless you know there's a rest after, especially on deployment.

If I was still deploying, I would probably just do 'KB Simple and Sinister.' I'm certain I'd make good gains AND not interfere w/ my 'duty, job or sport' as Pavel so eloquently says. Of course, that's probably not the best prep for a TSC.

Perhaps you could look at some of the programming of those who do really well on the TSC and 'adapt' that programming so that you are still able to operate. There have been some good articles on the blog about TSC prep and I've seen some discussions on FB as well.

Thank you. Good luck and stay SAFE.

@EricFohardt

I'm completely floored that you replied to my post, was not expecting it at all. So thank you for dropping this knowledge bomb on me.

Your article "What the Hell?!" is what propelled me forward into KB training in the first place. Taking advice from a seasoned Operator such as yourself who has "been there, done that" really drives home the fact that a program does not have to be complicated to be effective. So last year on deployment I did the same thing you did, I did only the ROP for 90 days to see if it really made a difference, and boy did it. Not only did I come out stronger and faster, but less prone to injury and still had some "gas in the tank". But of course redeploying back stateside sometimes training had to take a backseat: vacations, family dinners, then ramping up to head back out the door. So here I am again, on another deployment, now I'm looking forward to apply my new-found knowledge to something. So my teammates and I decided the TSC is well worth the effort and gives us something to train for.

I have read all the TSC preparation articles on StrongFirst, and still I find myself experimenting to find what works best without completely draining myself. But currently, I found myself back on the ROP until I can start specialized training for the TSC beginning in February. I will definitely keep this thread updated on progress leading up to the TSC.

Eric, thanks again for your reply and advice

Take Care
-WF

@Whiskey_Fox

Well, I'm floored. Glad you liked my 'WTH' article. More glad to hear it inspired you. The ROP is an awesome program. Not only did I do it on deployment, I also did it as prep for my LVL I cert. Worked great. I can sympathize with training taking a back-seat stateside. That's why it's important that your training be easy to fit into a busy schedule (KB S&S?).

As for your programming for this year's TSC, I think you have the right approach. Pick a program that improves everything for a period of time (ROP or S&S). Then switch to a more focused program as the TSC approaches. Another thought is to take the time between now and Feb. and focus on a weakness while maintaining lifts that you are strong in. Then, when you start your specific TSC training in Feb, that movement that was once a weakness is now closer along.

Hope this helps! Please keep updating the thread here. We may even create a new TSC specific category.

Merry Christmas. I did my share of Christmas deployments! Stay safe.

V/r
Eric

@EricFrohardt

Thanks Eric. I'll keep this short since we're having WiFi issues but it's good to hear some reassurance that I'm taking steps in the right direction. Sometimes I would find myself questioning whether or not this was the right approach. But I'm sure I have my answer now. I know the long grinds now will pay off in the spring when it's time to compete. Who knows, maybe I'll end up getting my LVL1 when I get back.

Hope you and the rest of the StrongFirst family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as well.

Prochnost

-WF

@Whiskey_Fox

Thank you for being out there, keeping us safe. I remember the challenges of training while deployed very well. Respect to you and your teammates for having established the TSC goal for yourselves.

Merry Christmas to you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom