all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Turkish get-up; moving up in weight (S&S)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
TGU
@Steve Freides and @MikeMoran referred to doing multiple same side reps, this worked for me. Bear in mind I could already do 5x5 with the 32kg but damn it was heavy, so heavy that I had to take breaks af each L-R, they felt like 1RM/singles, and I couldn't see myself reaching the continuous 5x5 that I had with the 24kg, where I take no breaks, just switch sides and go. Today I felt a bit weak, and didn't trust my self with the 32kg. So stuck to the 24kg for swings and TGUs'. Did the 100 x 1 arm swings and the: L-L-R-R-L-L-R-R-L-L-R-R-L-L-R-R = 16 TGUs' each done twice in a row each side, no breaks, and no setting the bell down while doing one side, back to start take a breath and go, can of course take a break for setting up if you feel this is necessary. Hope you find a method that helps.
Power to you!

Many options provided, but also do farmers walks with the 32 to get your cns used to the weight or even just pick it up and put it down. 2ndly make sure there are no weakspots in your get up, in the lunge is your shoulder packed, elbow straight (crush grip the handle) and wrist slightly goose necking? When this is right the weight will feel light above your head. Stick with the 24 a bit longer, you'll still get stronger then gradually bring in the 32. At some point in the near future the 32 feel light then the 40. Keep doing what you are doing but make sure your technique is spot on.

24 to 32kg TGU was tough! When I mastered 32kg I bought a 10 lb plate and duct taped (double layers of duct tape!) it to the bottom of the 32kg. It is now tough once again and I have to rest a lot, but it is doable, and safer than jumping up 8kg for me since I don't have access to a spotter. I had to dump the 32kg a few times. Decided it wasn't worth doing that again.

Lots of great advice here. I'd like to add in to check your form with a local SFG instructor. I thought I was ready to move from a 24 to 32 with my TGU's and decided to invest in a one hour session with an SFG in my area. In five minutes he saw that I was tomahawking my initial stage from laying flat on my back to propped up on my elbow. What this was doing was compensating for a weak core by using momentum to get past a sticking point. So instead of moving up to a 32 I actually went backwards to a 16 so I could fill in that gap and work my core like I was supposed to. So from all those advising you to do very slow reps, heed their recommendations. I'm still doing it with a 16kg bell now. Right after the session I actually went to doing them unweighted so I could learn to activate the right core muscles. It's getting more solid and I've noticed more definition in my abs, so I think I'm plugging that gap little by little.

Whatever you do, don't rush up in weight with bad technique. Have an SFG instructor evaluate you, it's money well spent, trust me. There is no way in hell I could have safely moved up to a 32 with what I was doing before.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Lots of great advice here. I'd like to add in to check your form with a local SFG instructor. I thought I was ready to move from a 24 to 32 with my TGU's and decided to invest in a one hour session with an SFG in my area. In five minutes he saw that I was tomahawking my initial stage from laying flat on my back to propped up on my elbow. What this was doing was compensating for a weak core by using momentum to get past a sticking point. So instead of moving up to a 32 I actually went backwards to a 16 so I could fill in that gap and work my core like I was supposed to. So from all those advising you to do very slow reps, heed their recommendations. I'm still doing it with a 16kg bell now. Right after the session I actually went to doing them unweighted so I could learn to activate the right core muscles. It's getting more solid and I've noticed more definition in my abs, so I think I'm plugging that gap little by little.

Whatever you do, don't rush up in weight with bad technique. Have an SFG instructor evaluate you, it's money well spent, trust me. There is no way in hell I could have safely moved up to a 32 with what I was doing before.

Yes!

-S-

Okay, been a lot of activity here since I last had a chance to reply, so not even going to attempt to address all individuals/tag everyone haha, but thanks to all those who have contributed. I'm going to do today's S&S session this evening and I'm gonna try doing consecutive reps per side with the 24 and see how that feels, and also focus on slower reps with pauses at various stages to ensure I really own those positions.

Regarding what people have said about getting more comfortable holding the 32 overhead and also just holding it with one hand by my side to get used to the weight, what I did throughout the day (GTG) yesterday, and this morning, was ten second holds - 1. Holding it by my side, 2. Holding it above my head while lying on my back following a floor press (the start position), and 3. Holding it above my head while standing following a clean and jerk (jerk used assistance from free hand). Already the weight of the 32 doesn't feel so scary.

Finally, about getting help from an SFG, to my surprise I found one not too far from myself (I'm in the UK, and half expected all of them to be in London/Manchester - lucky break!). I'm a tad busy right now with university deadlines so for the next week or two probably won't be able to arrange a session, but will definitely look into it once things calm down!

Thanks again for all those who have contributed! I will try to let you know how my practices go over the next few days.

Quick update. For today's session I did the first two reps per arm consecutively with the 24 (24L, 24L, 24R, 24R, 24L, 24R, 24L, 24R, 24L, 24R). My God that makes it tougher! Enough said really... I'll do that for a few more days (or however long it takes) until it gets easier, then go for 3 consecutive reps per side until that gets easy, before attempting the 32 again. (I'm also still doing the GTG work with the 32 that I mentioned above.)

That's great news you have an SFG instructor nearby, Harry. I'm liking your current plan too, not sure who provided that advice initially. I never would have thought consecutive reps with the same arm would have made that big a difference, but thinking about it now I may try that too. You still want to make sure your technique is bulletproof, though. So many nuances with a proper get-up.

I just did the opposite of everything you esteemed gentlemen have recommended in this thread.

My 32kg bell arrived today. It's quite husky! The first thing I did with it was five single arm swings with each hand just to feel it out. Not bad...

Then a little while later I did a TGU on each side. This was after today's earlier practice.

It was heavy and I was shakey. It was also quite a shock to the system getting up with it cold. Probably a stupid thing to do as well, but I was confident after floor pressing it.

I know mastering this bell is going to be a game changer for me.

@Anna C Love it! The first thing I thought when my 32 arrived and I first held it was, 'this thing needs a name!' and I never knew the 40 was called the 'Bulldog', Love it, love it, love it! Spread the word! 32kg = Badger :p

@Baron von Raschke Yes definitely try the consecutive reps per side. You have to try it to appreciate it. Not sure where the idea originally came from but on this thread @Steve Freides brought it up!

@1FG Sounds to me like you were a bit stronger than myself upon first trying the 32 get-up, nice work and best of luck working with it!

When I go heavy on a TGU it is always coming back down that is the hard part.
Own the 24. Increase the volume. Do 15-20 minutes of TGU's
I like the multiple rep approach, time under tension
Also, reverse getups can be particularly nasty for 15 -20 minutes with a lighter bell. Why? Because when you switch hands you don't put the bell down.

It's interesting to note how we all have a different set of issues performing the same motor functions.

This, I believe, comes from a different set of weaknesses created by a lifetime of different muscles used, and not used.

This is what I so enjoy about my kettlebell practice, it brings all these weaknesses to light, and then fixes them.

Standing up is the hardest for me, too.

Keep swinging!

I also recently started using 32kg for my S&S, and while I was able to do a full set of swings (double handed so far), moving to TGU's has been very slow. Side note, I was able to do 30 single handed 32kg swings today, which I was forced to do b/c of blisters on my pinkies!!

When I go heavy on a TGU it is always coming back down that is the hard part.
Own the 24. Increase the volume. Do 15-20 minutes of TGU's
I like the multiple rep approach, time under tension
Also, reverse getups can be particularly nasty for 15 -20 minutes with a lighter bell. Why? Because when you switch hands you don't put the bell down.

@BrianCF , do you find doing the TGU's like this are best done as part of S&S day with extra get-ups or as an independent workout in the same day? I was thinking about this with a GTG approach and just do TGU's all day long! I figure sometime in the middle of the day of doing this I'd probably feel good enough to do a couple with the 32kg!

It's interesting to note how we all have a different set of issues performing the same motor functions.

This, I believe, comes from a different set of weaknesses created by a lifetime of different muscles used, and not used.

This is what I so enjoy about my kettlebell practice, it brings all these weaknesses to light, and then fixes them.

Standing up is the hardest for me, too.

Keep swinging!

@Lew, I agree with you completely about the different muscle usage. One of the biggest imbalances I see clinically is overall body imbalance, which leads to a lot of these troubles. I started using Chiropractic when I was practicing Kung Fu, and now when I'm out of adjustment, I can barely get my right leg under me to stand up! It's highly worthwhile to get checked if you're not already. I'm getting an FMS next to address the messed up issues & old injuries that still haven't resolved!

Last edited:
@schurgerdc I never did S + S. But when I did the old program minimum, or just doing getups on my own, I went up quickly by just adding getups.

So instead of 5 minutes, move to 10, then 15. If your goal is to increase the weight, do them first. You want to be fresh to keep your form. When you're fatigued with a heavier weight, form can start getting sloppy. Once you can do 15 minutes, move to a heavier weight.

Sometimes, I would just do reps, 12-15 aside.

Another thought that worked for me with a 40 kg bell was. Start with 3 on each side, do this 3-4 x a week then go to a lighter bell. Add a rep a side each week or 2 as you get used to it.

Some just posted about this yesterday, I think, but I can't find it right now. The solution they used was to do 2-3 consecutive getups on the same side with the lighter weight. You will notice it's harder than switching sides every rep, and it will serve as a bridge to you doing singles with a heavier weight. Don't rush this - work up to being able to consistently do 2-3 singles on each side.

-S-

Following Steve's suggestion I just spent two weeks doing this with my 32 kg bell working up to 4 consecutive reps each side. Tonight I did the first one and thought it felt light so had a crack with the 40. It went up fine :), a little bit of straight leg lifting off the floor on the sit-up portion so plenty to work on but chuffed all the same.

Thank you again sir!

I cant help you but i can relate. Im still only a couple weeks in and doing 2h swings with the 24. I picked up my 32 a couple days ago and its a monster. I cant imagine doing 1h swings and get ups with it at this point.
Your body will adapt. I discovered a funny thing in getting my 32 bell. I was doing 1-arm swings with it, then I went back to my 24 for the getups, and the getups felt so much easier. It's one of those neurological responses of my body realizing, "Hey, we're gonna need a bigger boat," and rising to the challenge. It really surprised me. I'm not doing 32 getups yet, but it gave me some confidence in the possibility. Only a few months ago did my 24kg feel heavy on the 1-arm swing and felt impossible for the TGU.

Time and practice will open your eyes to the possibilities. Just put in the work and see what happens. You'll get there.

What a great thread! Thanks for bringing it up again @J Cox
My take away is: Do what you can and increase densitiy, intensity and/or time under tension in some way.

More consecutive reps or holds with the lighter weight, more partial reps or carries with the heavier weight, for example.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom