all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Turkish get up without get down

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Colby

Level 2 Valued Member
anyone have experience performing the concentric only of the Turkish get up and avoiding the eccentric portion (get down)?Noticing a little knee pain during the reverse lunge and was wondering if the get up portion will provide the same benefits.

@Colby It might be worth experimenting with your foot positioning to see what's different on the reverse lunge. Have you filmed the 'get-down' part of the get-up to see if there are any noticeable differences in position from the way up to the way down?

It might even be worth grabbing a lighter bell (one you can comfortably press with one arm) and just working on the downwards phase to see if you can find a way down that doesn't aggravate your knee.

@Colby It might be worth experimenting with your foot positioning to see what's different on the reverse lunge. Have you filmed the 'get-down' part of the get-up to see if there are any noticeable differences in position from the way up to the way down?

It might even be worth grabbing a lighter bell (one you can comfortably press with one arm) and just working on the downwards phase to see if you can find a way down that doesn't aggravate your knee.

I have a old knee injury that gets compressed on any ecenttric phase of a squat or lunge . I have had a couple people check my form and no issues In the lunging portion. So just trying to find a way to work around them.

I have a old knee injury that gets compressed on any ecenttric phase of a squat or lunge . I have had a couple people check my form and no issues In the lunging portion. So just trying to find a way to work around them.

In which case, working on a concentric-only get-up should provide pretty much all of the benefits as long as you modify the volume to account for the elimination of the eccentric phase.

Maybe go for 1.5× the amount of reps you'd be doing and see how that feels. Alternatively, you could slow the reps down to fill the same amount of time if you're working against the clock.

Well, not the same, but the shoulders will be strengthened in the same angles. If it comes from an old injury I wouldn't worry too much about the benefits of the get-down. Look at it this way: Just doing the TGU to standing would probably still give you at least 80% of the benefits compared to not doing TGUs at all.

You could add a short waiter's walk at the end to increase time under tension.

anyone have experience performing the concentric only of the Turkish get up and avoiding the eccentric portion (get down)?Noticing a little knee pain during the reverse lunge and was wondering if the get up portion will provide the same benefits.
My left knee is a bit sketchy so I’m quite deliberate with the concentric and eccentric phases of the lunge. One tip that Pavel T. mentioned somewhere, S&S V.1 maybe, was to tense the glute on the leading leg. I tend to tense both glutes and that seems to have helped me avoid aggravating any knee pain.

I have done positive TGU only. Worked fine. But you might miss hypertrophy maybe? Dont know.

I'd say that is fine to do half get ups for a while, but try to recover that knee to he able to do fulls

Thinking about it you could of course also train negative parts of it--with
TGU to Tall Sit, to High Bridge, or to Windmill and back down. Maybe eben twice back to back.

Programming wise I would just practice TGUs in all sort of ways for 10-15 minutes or so, not really worrying about keeping count.

- if it currently is all you can do, it is what it is, however...
- knee pain - get it sort it out
- according my experience, you learn the most valuable lessons during the get down (angles, foot and hand placement, movement... ) - and then reverse it. When doing get-ups with a lighter bell, I always do the get-down twice as slowly, and/or pause. During the next set, I just reverse the movement.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom