all posts post new thread

Old Forum Turkish Get-Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Since I've seen this topic, and I don't want to open another redundant one, is it just me or TGU are very difficult at the beginning? Especially with my left hand!

fdnyceguy, you said that doing more than 5 reps of volume can be counter productive. Is this because form will deteriorate or for other reasons also?

Gotta try those bottoms up get ups. Sounds like fun!

Since I’ve seen this topic, and I don’t want to open another redundant one, is it just me or TGU are very difficult at the beginning? Especially with my left hand!

Matt, try them "naked"    Brett Jones recommends you build up by doing them without weight to begin with.  I believe he says to do 50.  Best in my opinion to do few daily and do your 50 over atleast a 10 day period.   Try that and then do some balancing a shoe or class of water on your fist.  These truly force you to develop a fluid movement that carries over nicely to weight.    Good Luck.

" Naked" hows doing Getups with no cloths on going to help? Surely it wont make you that much lighter overall.

Matt, I couldnt do a Getup with a 16kg  when I started I think for many it is a challenging move and it quickly picks up on Weak links. Stick with it Captain,

I've no problem doing it without weight,  when I started 1 month and half ago I did with a 4kg dumbbell, now I can do 2-3 per arms with the 10kg KB but not yet with the 16kg.

The problem is (Imagine that you're doing it with the left hand holding the bell): your shoulders have left the ground, your bottom is up to,  ready for start the "lunge" movement, and you have to put the right leg on it's knee at 90° meanwhile you have to go straight with your back. after that is a lunge, before is a press, but that moment is for me the key of perfect balancing and maximum force.

aside from doing them naked, try doing them really slow and focus on packing the shoulder every step

Ladies and gents who were inquiring about the GU volume for the 40 Day Workout, Dan recommends 5 singles per side.

Two quick questions while this thread is active:

1)  Does anybody do overhead-squat style getups, both feet planted?  I'm in the habit of never kneeling from mountaineering -- rocks hurt your knees and you can only initiate movement upward from your feet.

2)  Value of getups for someone who already has limber/strong hips & shoulders?  Maybe as a plateau-buster for presses?

Thanks!

Matt,

Pavel mentioned in ETK that alot of guys with very heavy presses managed to improve there PB presses by doing very Heavy Getups.

Thanks Aaron,

My press is stalled out, right around 40 kg.  I haven't worked the getups -- 32 kg isn't "seamless."  Maybe working the deep skill would be good, even though orthopedically I'm just fine.  I totally confess to having skipped over swings, in a hurry to get to snatches and double cleans.  Stupid.

In mountaineering the common positions are extreme high steps, frog squats, cossack stretches, and a few side splits.  Just never kneeling.  Lots of overhead reaching and twisting too.

Pavel, would it be beneficial to do more than five reps per side for the program minimum? I am not using the minimum as an introduction to the rop but as a stand alone strength and conditioning program.

I have been doing PM with HEAY getups and swings and I and seeing the WTH effect.  I "practice" my snatches and presses like the PM calls for , but TGUs and Swings heavy.  The results are GREAT.  I plan on working up to the beast .I also do pull ups.   So simple , but so effective.  Give it a try.

Frank, that's my program now as well and I love the simplicity of it as well as the individual exercises. I'll often do morethan 5 gets a side so I'm just making surethat isn't unnecessary

Rick ,

The way I work it is I do the the getups with a bell and work until 10 min.  Once I reach that goal I move to the heavier bell.  Also, I will throw in a "Heavier" day and use the heavier bell but only for 5 min.  I do not worry about reps at all, just form.  As far as swings, I increase a min a week and once I hit 20 min , I will use the heavier bell for the last few minutes just on how I feel.

Rick,

The goal of the getup in the program minimum is to get stronger. Getting stronger means using a heavier bell. How do you know if you can use a heavier bell? You try it and see (using appropriate safety precautions).  If you can do 5 reps a side with a given bell, smoothly, with good form, and with moderate, not all-out effort, then that's a good time to test the next bell. If it goes up, great, time to start moving up. If it doesn't, there are several possible answers, one of which is more reps with the current bell.

Frank, I'm very glad to hear someone is doing that.  If I had it to do over, and know everything I know now, that's what I would have done.  Keep us posted on your progress, can't wait to see you standing up with the beast!

"Pavel, would it be beneficial to do more than five reps per side for the program minimum? I am not using the minimum as an introduction to the rop but as a stand alone strength and conditioning program."

Rick, yes—total reps, done in singles.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom