all posts post new thread

Old Forum Turkish Get-Up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have been doing the 3 days a week version of Easy Strength.

Get Up, Zercher Squat and Hollow Position Chin Ups.

In the last two weeks, I do  three per side (alternating b/w left and right) with a 12 KG ( I can press 20KG but couldn't do TGU with 12KG before).

Today, I did two per side with 12KG and rest for a minute or two and give 16KG a try.

The form wasn't perfect (the straight leg raised up from time to time) and it was a bit unstable. But I did it!

Progress is progress! Good work. I am curious to see if I can get the 32kg up on a TGU soon...

Matt H,

"1)  Does anybody do overhead-squat style getups, both feet planted?  I’m in the habit of never kneeling from mountaineering — rocks hurt your knees and you can only initiate movement upward from your feet."

I do.  I'm no mountaineer, but I don't like the feeling of having my knee on the ground.  Going into a squat has always felt more natural to me.

If a guy also wanted to work windmills, is it better to do them as a separate exercise, or to do a windmill at the top of every getup?  If they are done at the top of every getup, the time under tension is much longer, maybe too long.

Siemen, when you have worked up to 40-48kg, the answer and benefits will be apparent to you. - Pavel.

Agree. I've finally worked up to 36kg TGU, 7 reps per side, and ready to try 45kg. The benefits are amazing. Full-body workout, strength, including shoulder "strength".  Keep at it.

i am currently doing a program that calls for 3 reps per side in 15 mins. (24 bell)
i cannot do that and wonder if it would be a good idea to do ladders instead..

1-2-3 each side instead ..

would that increase my strength so i finally would end up
doing the 3 reps per side...

thanks ...

Do I need to do my reps non-stop?

Say, I can do 3 reps per side non-stop in 5mins with a bell but I can do 3 per sides with break in between, with a heavier bell.  Should I take break, do the same amount of reps, with a heavier bell?

I could do 7 singles each side with a 16KG in a day (GTG) .

Doing PM at the moment and I can't  last the whole 5 mins! I did 1L, 1R, 1L, 1R nonstop the other day and it was nice and slow, a little bit more than 4mins in total. Will work on my TGU endurance! :)

Is 4days Get Up, 2 days swing okay for PM?

I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt. First, you can add additional tgu or swing days on the PM. The main thing with the get up is not try to do more reps, only smoother and better reps. Switching hands between each rep, I noticed I would get the same amount of reps a few sessions in a row but each time it felt like I could squeeze another one in there but I stopped short anyway. After a few sessions I was able to incorporate a heavier bell which I did for a single and then continued with the one I am working on primarily. Another thing I did was to do Swings a few weeks with the heavier bell before I started doing get ups with it. Hope that helps a bit.

Been doing program minimum for around two weeks(two weeks PTTP two weeks PM)The rep is getting slower and the form is getting better. Especially with using the lats and hips.

Will keep at it.

I might not have much time to train soon (gonna be a dad in 19 weeks).

If  I am going to spend a long period of time "doing a little beside Get Up", a la The Iron Tamer, how should I do it?

My plan is just GTG  doing a single per side through the day and a longer session whenever I can but I would love to hear what others think, especially The Iron Tamer! :)

i am currently doing a program that calls for 3 reps per side in 15 mins. (24 bell)
i cannot do that and wonder if it would be a good idea to do ladders instead..

1-2-3 each side instead ..

would that increase my strength so i finally would end up
doing the 3 reps per side…

I guess I didn't blockquote properly in my last post.

I don't think that doing ladders with the TGU would be recommended.

Jason

Did some barbell work today (my 2 week PTTP/2weeks PM routine/repeat program) ...

The TGU helps me wtih my Bench and my normal "leak" of Zercher Squat.

“Doing a little beside Get Up" for a long time would be beneficial!

Hey there. I was searching online for info about the getup and came across this old thread. Pavel, or anyone, how do I move up weight quickly with the TGU? I was working my presses with the 70lb bell, but to press that up from flat on my back seems to be too heavy. Should I be doing the GU with the same amount as my presses? I am currently using the 26KG bell.

Thx,

Aaron

Assuming your technique in both the getup and press are up to standard, you can normally to a getup with a much heavier weight.

If you post a vid of your getup we will be able to give you better answers

Hi Aaron.  If you use two hands to press the bell up you'll find it easier.  There's limited value to using one hand to get the bell into position.

Coolio...thx. I just bought S&S. I think that I'd like to start today. I decided earlier this week to do the ETK PM again, but since reading up on the S&S wanted to try something different.

I think I am going to add a windmill to each of the TGUs...I am pretty excited to start a new program.

A

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom