all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Turkish Get Ups One Day Per Week

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey,
I just wanted to get some ideas on what the best way to program in turkish get ups would be if i could only fit them in one day per week? My main goal with it would be to go heavier with it, maybe even progress to the beast. Any ideas would be very helpful.

It is possible, but slower to progress one-day per week.
The key variables are the weight of the bell and volume, as in total reps or total time spent under the bell per day, week, month, etc.

I've a few students I only see once or twice per week who only train their getups with me.
After a brief warm-up the getup portion of their training is typically only ten-minutes.

Here is the progression I follow:
  • Patterning without weight (approximately 100 bodyweight reps)
  • Sets of 1 to 3 continuous partial getups to the elbow, alternated with either lunges & overhead walks or overhead lunges.
  • Sets of 3 to 5 continuous partial getups to the elbow, alternated with either lunges & overhead walks or overhead lunges.
  • Sets of full-getup singles to standing then back down.
  • Sets of full-getup singles shooting for 1 rep each minute.
  • Sets of reverse getups = starting from standing, getting down, then back up again. This forces them to find a way to press the bell overhead ;]
  • At some point along the way they begin adding in a heavier bell, experimenting with holds or partial getups with heavier bell for one or more sets so that two bell or three bell sizes are being progressed independently.

The get up is a highly neurologic movement, once a week just doesn't cut it. Even if you do no weight get ups, it's better than six days of no get ups. It only takes a few minutes to do a couple of no weight get ups on each side.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom