all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Turkish Get Ups vs C&P and Squats

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

Disclaimer: This is more of a poll than anything else.

As far as strength development goes (regardless any kind of body composition, etc...), in your opinion, what is the best option between:
- Turkish Get Up (1r x 5)
- Heavy singles (using clusters) of C&P and weighted pistol (basically, 1 C&P + 1 w pistol)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Disclaimer: This is more of a poll than anything else.

As far as strength development goes (regardless any kind of body composition, etc...), in your opinion, what is the best option between:
- Turkish Get Up (1r x 5)
- Heavy singles (using clusters) of C&P and weighted pistol (basically, 1 C&P + 1 w pistol)

Kind regards,

Pet'
I would probably go with the tgu. Most every one can do a get up, most people don’t have the strength and/or mobility to do a pistol. I do think the C&P and pistol overall is a better indicator of total body strength. The tgu, for most people is just a movement that most people have the ability to do. Just my opinion.

most people don’t have the strength and/or mobility to do a pistol
I'm with you that TGUs are more accessible. Even to this day, after reaching several benchmarks in lower body strength, I still can't do a pistol, but @pet' said this...
(regardless any kind of body composition, etc...)
So I'm not taking into account possible limitations for my vote :)

I agree with @ShawnM that the pistol specifically may be too much. But if I consider the thread title with just "Squats", there is zero comparison, option #2 by so, so far.

TGUs are nice, for sure, but squats, cleans and presses are the best.

If I had a student capable of performing a weighted pistol on both sides, and I had to make that " Desert Island " choice limited to the exercises in your post, I would choose the C&P's and pistols.

Hello,

First off, I want to thank you all for your inputs ! :)

I asked because I am lucky enough for not having any mobility issue due to a basic daily mobility and flexibility routine. After some time I am now able doing both GU until 40 eventhough my cruising weights are 32 and 36, and weighted pistols up to 16.

Nonetheless I start to wonder that if the more complex the move is, the less 'raw' strength gains we can get from it.

I still find the GU one of the best blend (mobility & strength) but after some point (more or less Simple) I think that if we want to gain more overall strength we have to stick to 'simpler' moves.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

First off, I want to thank you all for your inputs ! :)

I asked because I am lucky enough for not having any mobility issue due to a basic daily mobility and flexibility routine. After some time I am now able doing both GU until 40 eventhough my cruising weights are 32 and 36, and weighted pistols up to 16.

Nonetheless I start to wonder that if the more complex the move is, the less 'raw' strength gains we can get from it.

I still find the GU one of the best blend (mobility & strength) but after some point (more or less Simple) I think that if we want to gain more overall strength we have to stick to 'simpler' moves.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I love GU's, but to your question, 1 cln 1 sqt 1 pr, with dbls. and what is heavy for you. If you want to work motor and get smoked, lighten it up and string a bunch of the 1-1-1 together. Or heavy snatches 5 a side and go when ready.

Hello,

@Don Fairbanks
Heavy for me is:
- 40 for a GU (36 is moderate but doable everyday)
- 28 for a press (I am super close to the 32)
- 20 for a pistol

I barely weigh 61 (62 when heavy)

Kind regards,

Pet'

It's probably fair to say that the more simplistic a movement is, the better it could be for raw strength development, simply because a more complex move has more potential weak links in the chain. That's why people can load plate after plate on to a hip sled - the sled removes all the weak points. So that's probably the best way to develop raw absolute pushing power in the legs, even if it's not the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of overall athleticism.

As much as I love get-ups, I would choose C&P, but go with KB front squats instead of pistols.

Hello,

Assuming squats are performed with clusters, as far as the C&P goes, we often say that we have to press around 100 times a week to make progress.

In this case, which of the following lead to the most strength: cluster (most of the time, no more than 15-18 reps) or the '100' press rule ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Assuming squats are performed with clusters, as far as the C&P goes, we often say that we have to press around 100 times a week to make progress.

In this case, which of the following lead to the most strength: cluster (most of the time, no more than 15-18 reps) or the '100' press rule ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm not sure where this 100 press rule comes from.

I certainly don't do it, and my pressing progresses fine without it.

If it was a barbell, nobody would be saying you need to do 100 presses a week.

I can make progress on a standard Heavy / Light / Medium routine, e.g:

Heavy day: 3 x 5 = 15 reps (80% RM) = 32 kg bell
Light day: 3x 8 = 24 reps (60% RM / ~80% heavy day) = 24 kg bell
Medium day: 5 x 5 = 25 reps (70% RM / ~90% heavy day) = 28 kg bell

I'm about due to bump this up, because my 1 RM was 40 kg, but now I can do 3 reps of 40 kg.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom