all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Turkish Getup modified for a Cinderblock

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jamplan

First Post
Hi, long time S&S follower who just started doing all fitness levels group workouts in the AM.

I'm running a workout and want to do S&S style programming. We can do light swings with the cinderblocks (~38 lbs), but I worry about trying a legitimate get-up with them and don't have enough kettlebells.

I was thinking of simply doing a flow with a deadlift, curl, goblet squat, overhead press, and then reverse the curl and deadlift.

Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful, I have about a week to plan.

If you have half the kettlebells you need, pair people up and do "I go, you go". First person does the right side get-up with second person watching, spotting, or coaching. Then they swap and second person does right side. Then first person does left side. Keep going until desired reps are done.

Hi, long time S&S follower who just started doing all fitness levels group workouts in the AM.
F3?
We can do light swings with the cinderblocks (~38 lbs), but I worry about trying a legitimate get-up with them and don't have enough kettlebells.
I would NOT do Cinderblock GUs. Sorry but that’s an unwise idea.

Here’s what I would suggest to work some of the movement patterns or muscles:
—Cinder block reverse lunges. Variations would include: balanced on the shoulder, overhead with both hands, held to chest.
—Cinder block V-sits. Lie on back with legs spread eagle and cinder block pressed with straight arms. As you sit up, make sure to move the cinder block forward to help with the momentum. Low yourself back down one vertebrae at a time with control, lower back pressing into the ground. Sit ups aren’t my fav tho. F3 likes them.
—Cinder block pull throughs: Top of the push up position with cinder block to your right. Reach under and across your body with your left hand and pull it underneath your body and through, all the way to the left. Repeat from left to right. You can add a push up in between for more fun.

I was thinking of simply doing a flow with a deadlift, curl, goblet squat, overhead press, and then reverse the curl and deadlift.
Also, this is a good plan too.

If you are Q’ing an F3 beat down, they love something like the following:

—10 cinder block burpees (no jump at the end, more of a thruster up)
—10 rows
—5 reverse lunges each side
—200-400 yards
—Plank until the “6” is in

Basically I’m coming up with my next F3 beat down ;)

If you have half the kettlebells you need, pair people up and do "I go, you go". First person does the right side get-up with second person watching, spotting, or coaching. Then they swap and second person does right side. Then first person does left side. Keep going until desired reps are done.
No where near enough, haha. Thanks though!

Also, this is a good plan too.

If you are Q’ing an F3 beat down, they love something like the following:

—10 cinder block burpees (no jump at the end, more of a thruster up)
—10 rows
—5 reverse lunges each side
—200-400 yards
—Plank until the “6” is in

Basically I’m coming up with my next F3 beat down ;)
Yup, F3! I like to change it up and actually do workouts with built in rest.

I like the reverse lunge idea. I may try having them squat down, curl, goblet squat up, press and reverse lunge with it either overhead or back in the goblet. If it's too complicated for them to follow, they just get to do more lunges.

We usually end with core work, so I'll see how the cinder block v-ups and pull-throughs go over.

Hello,

To add to great @Ryan T 's post, I'd add a 'Russian twist' after the V-Sit. It will help to mimic the lying to elbow and elbow to sit up phases.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yup, F3! I like to change it up and actually do workouts with built in rest.

I like the reverse lunge idea. I may try having them squat down, curl, goblet squat up, press and reverse lunge with it either overhead or back in the goblet. If it's too complicated for them to follow, they just get to do more lunges.

We usually end with core work, so I'll see how the cinder block v-ups and pull-throughs go over.
Yeah, I know F3 pretty well. I do the pre-ruck 3x per week and then join in on a beat down 1x per week or every other week. It has had a negative impact on recovering for my primary training in the past which is why I don’t do it 3x per week like the rest of the crew. For some, it’s their main form of training. I like the guys and what the group stands for so I weave it in from time to time.

I'm running a workout and want to do S&S style programming. We can do light swings with the cinderblocks (~38 lbs), but I worry about trying a legitimate get-up with them and don't have enough kettlebells.

If I ever had an instructor / coach / trainer program a cinder block TGU, I would immediately walk out and quit his/her class.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom