all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Turkish Getup + Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris Beasley

Level 1 Valued Member
From reading another post (couldn't find it again or would post it), one commenter mentioned difficulties with the press, despite working up to a solid weight in the Turkish Getup.

When following SnS, is there any reason not to add a single press and the top portion of each getup? So, once you have gone from lunge to standing, lower and press the bell, then reverse the getup.

This would only add 10 total presses to the workout, which doesn't seem like much volume at all, and may help with "owning" the kettle bell you are using. You won't be pressing big numbers or anything. Just developing some comfort with the movement.

That may work well with lighter weights (I was able to do that with the 16 and the 20 once I owned them for TGUs), but as you progress you'll be able to do your TGUs with much more than you can clean and press, let alone press after getting up. I can comfortably hit the simple standard of 5x1 32kg TGUs/side in under 10 min every day and can do at least one with 40kg, but can't press the 32 yet. I can comfortably clean and press the 24 for reps but can barely manage one 24kg TGU with a press at the top. IMO this might be a viable option for an "off day" with a lighter bell, but if you try to do this every day in the context of S&S you'd just be slowing your progress in the TGUs to a crawl. Hit the simple standard, and you may not have a big press, but you'll have a strong foundation for rapid pressing gains. If you insist on adding presses to your S&S practice, I'd just do a couple easy sets of 3-5 with a light KB after S&S or later in the day.

Sure you can do this. A lot of people insert presses at various stages of the get up, not just at the top. However, I think this is more get up "ownership" practice than press practice.

A better alternative might be to just do a little press practice separately from you get ups.

Although it is common for people to be able to do get ups with more than they can press, it is not always the case. I'm not looking to argue for or against the merits of the get up, but personally I've never liked get ups or trained them consistently (basically just enough to pass certification standards and be able to demonstrate good form). I can roll out of bed any day of the year and press 36kg for a single, but doing a get up with that weight will be shaky struggle.

So it can go either way. There is obviously some degree of carryover between get ups and presses, but it will vary by individual.

If you insist on adding presses to your S&S practice, I'd just do a couple easy sets of 3-5 with a light KB after S&S or later in the day.
I agree with @Ryan Cranfill's advice, given his experience. If I were incorporating presses into my get up practice, I'd add a couple of singles with a HEAVIER weight.

@Chris Beasley, one reason not to is that the increased fatigue could make the descent of the getup riskier. This probably isn't an issue with a light weight but it would be if the getups was heavy.

-S-

Clean+press/push press/jerk+reverse get up is a good combo to change things up, and get in some extra practice and time under tension. I like get up+windmill a lot also.

Try: clean > press > get down > get up

Maybe just do it on days you're feeling really good. Just know that you will be adding 10 cleans as well to your sessions.

Obviously like @Steve Freides said, if fatigue is at all an issue stop immediatly. Try with lighter weights first.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom