all posts post new thread

Nutrition Turmeric/curcumin

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

My wife is seeing a naturopath for a few "female" issues she's having and was recommended to try turmeric/curcumin. I did a little reading on it and it seems it might benefit men too. Has anyone any personal experiences with it?

Hello,

@HUNTER1313
I use it combined with pepper. It is a very efficient (and natural) mix for joint inflammation.

When I trained a lot to get a front lever, I made the mistake to train with a pull up bar instead of rings. Then, I took turmeric / pepper for 3 days, with rest. It used it with what I usually eat (chicken, etc...), with a little rest. It worked super great. In terms of quantity, I took the extremity of a teaspoon for turmeric and a little less of pepper.

Kind regards,

Pet'

We eat a lot of turmeric here. Indeed mix it with black pepper. It improves the bioavailability.
Turmeric really has a lot of upside in preventing and curing all kinds of illness/pain involving inflammation.
If you are concerned about it being good for men, I never read anything about it that it would benefit one of the sexes more than the other. Turmeric is good for everyone.

Curries are always good.
Pile of meat and veg with turmeric, cumin, pepper, dollop of yogurt served with fresh coriander (cilantro), perfect.
Bombay potato.....roast spuds quickly refried in turmeric, coriander seeds, mustard seeds topped with fresh coriander. Heavenly.

I try to eat at least a teaspoon of turmeric each day. I've used it in coffee (tolerable but not so great) and in winter soups etc. It's a regular thing for me in winter to add it to either bone broth or just water with gelatin in it as a soup base. I could never get into bulletproof coffee, but turmeric bulletproof soup is great. I have golden milk before bed in winter too.

My favourite would have to be in scrambled eggs. I cook more of a scrambled omelette than scrambled eggs really. They say another thing that helps with the absorption of turmeric is to have it with some type of fat. So I tip a bit of coconut oil in a pan crack some black pepper into the oil & sprinkle a good dose of turmeric into it & then whack in a good dollop of butter. After the butter comes up to temp (the water in it boils) I dump the eggs in & stir. About a minute later I have a delicious golden scrambled omelette.

I love turmeric that much that I grow it myself, I have an old bath tub full of it right now.

Hello,

It is also pretty good in yogurt or with steam-cooked white cabbage. Even if it can be a little "unsual" (I am forced to admit it) it is also good with dark chocolate.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I had a really negative experience with it. I had no idea it needed to be taken with a fat. So I am trying it again, since I have no idea what was going on since I didn't take it with a fat. But the same thing kept happening, so....

Last edited by a moderator:
@pet'

No. I was suffering from symptoms of low estrogen. When I stopped taking it, it went away. I am trying the fat thing to see what happens.

@pet'

Experiment over. Same thing just faster this time. Except now I am getting weaker everyday and there is no logical explanation. This has happened 4/4 times.

Hello,

Experiment over. Same thing just faster this time. Except now I am getting weaker everyday and there is no logical explanation. This has happened 4/4 times.
:(
Yes indeed it is far better to stop the experiment, you are right. Health is something serious and it is our most precious wealth.

If we consider natural anti-inflamation plants, we also have:
=> aloe vera (as a gel)
=> noni (a Polynesian flower which we can find in fruit juice or pills)
=> Scotch pine needle (20 to 50g of bud in 1L of hot water, then 3 cups a day to drink)
=> eucalyptus

Those are the ones I know and tested, but I am sure are plenty of others.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
We were at my son's doctor today. He is not much heavier than a few months ago. Like a pound heavier. I am measurably stronger than then and far more so. I'll shake it off in a few days.

Some say to take it with fat. I am wondering about taking it with my fish oil and vit d in the morning.

Hello,

Some say to take it with fat. I am wondering about taking it with my fish oil
Fat are longer to be digested. Then, if you take your curcumin with fat, you give more time to your stomach to absorb a greater amount. That is why you can take it with oil. Plus, oil is hydrophobic some curcumin will be fixed by fat and will not be fixed (and drained away) with water, which is the first thing you drain away.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Some say to take it with fat. I am wondering about taking it with my fish oil and vit d in the morning.
If your fish oil is the only fat you take in the morning (after you fasted for the night), your body is just burning it like regular fat. You aren't getting the benefits. I didn't understand then technicalities of it. T Nation or Breaking Muscle wrote an article saying why this occurs.

Hello,

In the morning (after you fasted for the night),would it not be "better" do take it with a little carb ? Above all if you train shortly before or after.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

In the morning (after you fasted for the night),would it not be "better" do take it with a little carb ? Above all if you train shortly before or after.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Edit: My mistake.

They said takenit with food. So yeah carbs would work. Mind you T Nation is against fasted workouts so I imagine taking it in the evening would be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom