all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Twisting exhalation?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt

Level 3 Valued Member
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what could be the cause of the following - when standing or sitting and twisting to the left, I "hear" what sounds like a grinding sound which is actually air being forced out of my lungs. Only happens when I twist to the left (doing a left-right twisting movement). At an average force of rotation too.
My mouth is closed, so breath relax but held (not exhaling), and posture/head "normal".

It is hard to tell if it happens when I breathe out - as that is what I think is happening and I can't hear anything else if I breathe out (when it happens I am hearing it - which is why I said it sounds like a soft grinding sound in my ears). Don't think it happens when nose breathing, but again hard to heard. Regardless - that it does happen in certain situations is a bit of a puzzle.

For about 10years I have been trying to unlock a tight-right side inc. diaphragm with zero real results (FMS, Resets etc.) and now have taken up ocean-ski paddling again which involves a lot of twisting. The thing is my balance depends on being symmetric while twisting (have an extremely narrow but fast! ski which is very unstable - any little imbalance is found out). So I'd like to really nut this out for good.
Weakest FMS was the T-Spine rotation with my right hand reaching back, left hand over my shoulder (1,2).

Thanks if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas.
I think any "ideas" here cannot be much more than educated guesses, if that, @Matt. I might try a different kind of approach than you've tried in the past - you list a few plus "etc." so we don't know what you've done. E.g., try massage, try a chiropractor or ART practitioner, try one-sided training like 1-leg deadlifts, 1-arm overhead presses, 1-arm bar hangs for time if you're able to do those. Maybe yoga, maybe tai-chi/qigong. And last but certainly not least, talk to your FMS practitioner about their ideas on what to try and perhaps work with them on a regular basis for a while.

-S-

Thanks for your reply Steve. The "etc" is some of what you've listed (massage mostly). The thing is - I've tweaked a few things and then stuck with the change for 3months say, to see if it is having an effect, then tweak again. Time consuming. Which is why I haven't been active here for a while (on the forum). Now I am sort of now stuck in that maintenance mode routine, but don't want to keep giving up old strength gains in the name of experimentation.

Anyway - I was moreso asking if anyone thought it could be the twisting forcing (somehow) an exhale (not on any ideas as to what to do to fix it). It sounds like a Darth Vader sound - or if you try to mouth exhale with your mouth closed. A hollow breathing exhalation sound (not loud). I want to be sure it is not bone grinding, and if I can understand how it could be a breath, I might understand what is tight and therefore causing my diaphragm to do whatever when twisting left.

Thanks.

Ok then, thanks Steve.

You can see why I have given up paying people to tell me a similar thing.

Disagree. Free advice, based in your description over the Internet, isn't going to solve many unusual, individual problems. A good person, in person, can work miracles.

-S-

Hi Steve,

On any other forum maybe I’d agree, but here I'd disagree – and definitely on the old Strongfirst forum (I'd disagree).

To be clear – I am not seeking Free Advice. I was making the obvious statement that I’ve paid a lot of people to tell me less than you have J and so I am trying to do a lot of the groundwork myself. I am happy to pay someone who, like you said can work miracles.

And I am happy to buy products from a lot of people here or endorsed here – which I’ve also done. Despite that having limited success, I still come here as I believe in the products (Strongfirst philosophy and training, Pavel, FMS, resets) so to speak.

My question was just a factual question which I contextualised in my personal situation. I will work it out anyway.

@Matt, it seems as if I have offended you; that was not my intention and I apologize for any misunderstanding.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom