all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Two arm to one arm

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Toast1$

First Post
Good afternoon. I am a 73 year old male, although age and sex doesn't seem to matter in the StrongFirst world. I have managed to progress to 70 lbs kettlebell with two-arm swings. My question is how do I begin to incorporate one-arm swings into my training routine? Specifically, is there a formula for selecting the starting weight or is it pretty much trial and error? Also, should one use the same weight for left and right arms? Many thanks for the advice.

Welcome to the forum..

1..what size bells do you have at your disposal?

2. For discussion sake, I'll assume you've managed to do 10 2hand swings for 10 sets with the 70lb bell, a safe meterstick is to one arm swing 1-2 sizes down the 70lb bell for 5 rep sets then go from there

Hope this helps

If you're comfortable 2H swinging a 70 lb kettlebell then 20kg would probably be perfect to learn, progressing soon to 24kg, for 1H swings. Yes, same weight for left and right arm. There isn't a formula -- the closest thing would be the progression described in S&S 2.0, but that assumes starting new with both. You are actually in the preferred position, IMO. I believe it's important to have a really solid 2H swing before venturing into 1H swings. But there are many paths through the forest. Anyhow... Like @Mark Limbaga asked, what do you have available? You could start with anywhere from 16kg to 70 lb and adapt your reps/sets/drills/progression as needed.

BTW I agree that that age and sex don't matter in the StrongFirst world. Well said! ? They are really only factors which help determine appropriate starting points and somewhat expected (bot not set in stone) progressions.

Test out the 40 then go from there..

Feel free to upload vids so we can give you feedback

If practicing outside is an option, perhaps take advantage of it when first exploring one-armed swings with any significant weight. When I was ready to start adding 70 lb one arm swings to my practice, I took my swings to the park. In the event I lost control, I could just let go and have the bell land safely in the grass and not worry about hurting myself or damaging anything in my dwelling. I never had to let go of the bell during a swing, but this outdoors approach allowed me to focus on technique and not worry about what damage I could cause with a bell that I was still getting used to for one armed swings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom