Question Two Days a Week

Marcus Aurelius

Triple-Digit Post Count
Hello All,

In S&S, Pavel says if you are following another serious strength program to reduce S&S to two days a week.

What is the purpose of these two days a week? Is it to progress in reps and weight? Is it to just maintain some get ups and swings? Should one aim to progress or just maintain?

Thank you

pet'

More than 5000 posts
Hello,

@Marcus Aurelius
The goal of this two days a week is to maintain the weight you are using, to ensure proper "general stength and conditioning". Plus, this permits you to maintain your technique.

I never tried this "frame" (S&S + program XXX). However, I do not think a weight increase is the goal. Two days a week permits you to focus on the other program you are following because S&S is based on a submaximal effort. It lets you perfectly fresh. Maybe a weight increase on S&S using this frame is possible, however, maybe it will be a kind of outcome from this other program. Basically, a "transfer" from the program to S&S.

It is always possible to progress on a program when you start from "zero". However, once you get to a certain level, you are more or less obliged to increase either intensity / volume / frequency to keep progressing. I read somewhere that 80% of the benefits of a program come from the first 20% of the program.

Kind regards,

Pet'

jef

I am a student of strength.
Certified Instructor
@Marcus Aurelius
I actually started S&S as a 2-days a week complement to a 3-times a week barbell program.

I treated getup as a "corrective" exercise, packing the shoulder, etc, that should benefit my barbell program(which it did). I started light (16kg), and let the weight increase when I felt ready. 24kg came relatively fast for a few reps. 32kg was a lot slower.
The swings were easier, so I relatively fast swung the 32. I would have done the swings once or twice a week anyway, so why not follow the S&S format?

It also depends where you start from. The lower the weight, the more you can expect to progress.

Eventually, I transitioned to 1 day a week on weekends (mainly maintenance, although some progress with the swings), due to work constraints, and went full gear 5 to 7 days in January 2016. Progress was of course a lot faster then, especially getup.

SogoTom

First Timer
I am currently doing S&S two days a week alongside two days of yoga and two days of running. I also started with a 16kg and have worked up to a 24kg for both exercises so far. I think it works really well and compliments my other activities.

Jak Nieuwenhuis

Quadruple-Digit Post Count
I am currently doing S&S two days a week alongside two days of yoga and two days of running. I also started with a 16kg and have worked up to a 24kg for both exercises so far. I think it works really well and compliments my other activities.
Welcome to the Strongfirst forum

I too like the twice weekly S and S as a base... activity every day, but S and S strength train twice a week... relaxing to the body

Top Bottom