all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Two Days a Week

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marcus Aurelius

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello All,

In S&S, Pavel says if you are following another serious strength program to reduce S&S to two days a week.

What is the purpose of these two days a week? Is it to progress in reps and weight? Is it to just maintain some get ups and swings? Should one aim to progress or just maintain?

Thank you

Hello,

@Marcus Aurelius
The goal of this two days a week is to maintain the weight you are using, to ensure proper "general stength and conditioning". Plus, this permits you to maintain your technique.

I never tried this "frame" (S&S + program XXX). However, I do not think a weight increase is the goal. Two days a week permits you to focus on the other program you are following because S&S is based on a submaximal effort. It lets you perfectly fresh. Maybe a weight increase on S&S using this frame is possible, however, maybe it will be a kind of outcome from this other program. Basically, a "transfer" from the program to S&S.

It is always possible to progress on a program when you start from "zero". However, once you get to a certain level, you are more or less obliged to increase either intensity / volume / frequency to keep progressing. I read somewhere that 80% of the benefits of a program come from the first 20% of the program.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Marcus Aurelius
I actually started S&S as a 2-days a week complement to a 3-times a week barbell program.

I treated getup as a "corrective" exercise, packing the shoulder, etc, that should benefit my barbell program(which it did). I started light (16kg), and let the weight increase when I felt ready. 24kg came relatively fast for a few reps. 32kg was a lot slower.
The swings were easier, so I relatively fast swung the 32. I would have done the swings once or twice a week anyway, so why not follow the S&S format?

It also depends where you start from. The lower the weight, the more you can expect to progress.

Eventually, I transitioned to 1 day a week on weekends (mainly maintenance, although some progress with the swings), due to work constraints, and went full gear 5 to 7 days in January 2016. Progress was of course a lot faster then, especially getup.

I am currently doing S&S two days a week alongside two days of yoga and two days of running. I also started with a 16kg and have worked up to a 24kg for both exercises so far. I think it works really well and compliments my other activities.

I am currently doing S&S two days a week alongside two days of yoga and two days of running. I also started with a 16kg and have worked up to a 24kg for both exercises so far. I think it works really well and compliments my other activities.

Welcome to the Strongfirst forum

I too like the twice weekly S and S as a base... activity every day, but S and S strength train twice a week... relaxing to the body

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom