all posts post new thread

Barbell Two-Dumbbell Deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
@Pavel Macek, I just got a trap/hex bar, but the other day, I deadlifted two Olympic-sized loadable dumbbells. I'm curious to know if you've tried the two-dumbbell deadlift and what you think of it, particularly as compared to the trap/hex bar deadlift.

I'm going to play with both, hex bar and two-dumbbell, later today.

Thanks, and of course anyone else is welcomed to offer their experiences and observations.

-S-

@Pavel Macek, I just got a trap/hex bar, but the other day, I deadlifted two Olympic-sized loadable dumbbells. I'm curious to know if you've tried the two-dumbbell deadlift and what you think of it, particularly as compared to the trap/hex bar deadlift.

I'm going to play with both, hex bar and two-dumbbell, later today.

Thanks, and of course anyone else is welcomed to offer their experiences and observations.

-S-

Yes, I played with two dumbbell deadlifts, but my favorite dumbbell deadlift choice would be single-leg deadlift. Another great option with dumbbells or kettlebells (and it can be done with 2 barbells as well) is suitcase deadlift one side, suitcase deadlift other side, and then lifting both bells - that is when I see most benefits of e.g. dumbbell deadlift.

I am still working on Hardstyle dumbbell lifting curriculum, for time being I have finished the "program minimum" (dumbbell clean, press, swing; note: less, and often times more different from kettlebells lifts).

Once the StrongFirst Resilient is finally out, I will focus my attention on finishing the dumbbell project - dumbbell get-down/get-up, snatch, bent press, push press/jerk, as well as two dumbbell lifts.

Any insights regarding the dumbbell lifts are greatly appreciated. Please check out my English page at www.simplexstrong.com for more info on Hardstyle dumbbell lifting.

I just joined the Strongfirst forum a moment ago, so hello! And while I’m a fan of dumbbells, I’m a bigger fan of the trap bar.

Dumbbells are great. But when I load them with deadlift-type weight, they tend to rub or sometimes bounce against my legs. Not a major problem, but it can interfere with my concentration. And when doing the farmers walk, they tend to swing (especially when walking up an incline). The trap bar helps avoid these potential distractions.

I also like the two different handle heights of the trap bar - what a double-edged advantage! The higher handles allow me to load more weight while helping to minimize the stress on my lower back, while the low handles facilitate a more squat-type position, which allows me focus more on my lower back.

Also, with dumbbell deads, I tend to start and finish with my hands in front of my feet, while the trap bar keeps my hands at my sides the whole time. I’m not saying this is an advantage or disadvantage, it’s just something I’ve noticed.

And there’s a very cool trap bar exercise that gets little attention: One arm rowing!

Stand outside of the bar (so that the chest is above the plates) and lift with one arm so that only one side of the bar comes up. This allows the rowing motion to be performed with the upper arm away from the body (generally it’s at about 90 degrees to the body), which has an entirely different feel than a dumbbell row, which usually brings the upper arm very close to the body.

But for deadlifts, both dumbbells and the trap bar are excellent! Barbells too!

Yes, I played with two dumbbell deadlifts, but my favorite dumbbell deadlift choice would be single-leg deadlift. Another great option with dumbbells or kettlebells (and it can be done with 2 barbells as well) is suitcase deadlift one side, suitcase deadlift other side, and then lifting both bells - that is when I see most benefits of e.g. dumbbell deadlift.

I am still working on Hardstyle dumbbell lifting curriculum, for time being I have finished the "program minimum" (dumbbell clean, press, swing; note: less, and often times more different from kettlebells lifts).

Once the StrongFirst Resilient is finally out, I will focus my attention on finishing the dumbbell project - dumbbell get-down/get-up, snatch, bent press, push press/jerk, as well as two dumbbell lifts.

Any insights regarding the dumbbell lifts are greatly appreciated. Please check out my English page at www.simplexstrong.com for more info on Hardstyle dumbbell lifting.

Pavel,

The two barbell deadlift is one of John McKean's favorite lifts. He's recommended it to me several times over the years, and sadly, I've never tried them. May have to give them a try.

Jeff

Pavel,

The two barbell deadlift is one of John McKean's favorite lifts. He's recommended it to me several times over the years, and sadly, I've never tried them. May have to give them a try.

Jeff
Two _barbells_. I like that!

-S-

Dumbell Deadlifts are more of a grip exercise. Grip will always be a limiting factor because they want to roll out of your hand, and the thumbs ability to stop that rolling action is the key. If you use larger diameter plates the rolling action increases.

A Trap Bar has no rolling action making it far less grip intensive than other implements letting most go heavier than a Deadlift on a Power Bar. This is one reason, the other being the load is closer to your centre of gravity, most can handle more weight.

I like the extra effect of Thick Dumbell and Rolling Thunder for strengthening the hands and wrist. I recently picked up my Inch Trainer and RT again on off days. Both 60mm diameter. Just a few sets of 1-3 in the evening.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom