all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Two hand swing form check please

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anth

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,
Thank you to everybody that has been helping me with all of these form checks. If anyone could take one more look at my two handed swing, I’d really appreciate it. This was during a conditioning set, so I wasn’t resting as much, but I’d still appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Looks pretty good: you keep your back straight throughout, and your timing is pretty good in terms of hinging at the last second.

From what I can see, the biggest thing you can improve is going deeper into the bottom position by bringing your hips back further and lower down by squatting a bit more. This will give you a more powerful swing.

Your stance also seems extremely wide to me, but maybe it’s ok. I defer to others more qualified than myself.

Looks pretty good: you keep your back straight throughout, and your timing is pretty good in terms of hinging at the last second.

I agree! You've mastered this very tough aspect that most people struggle with.

From what I can see, the biggest thing you can improve is going deeper into the bottom position by bringing your hips back further and lower down by squatting a bit more. This will give you a more powerful swing.

Maybe. Where I see you could get more power is by focusing on the stretch reflex in the arms. This is a subtle thing that @Steve Freides clued me in on a few years ago. As the bell comes to the backswing, feel your arms stretch like rubber bands, or stretching a bow. At the same time, your lower body is getting loaded also, just like the bottom position of a jump (the "jump" down before you explode back up). Initiating the upswing is a reversal of this loading, and when you get the tension and timing right, you'll be amazed at how much more power you feel in the swing.

Your stance also seems extremely wide to me, but maybe it’s ok.

It does look a bit wide, but it's OK if you like it. Experiment and see what works best for you for power production. A narrower stance may help you get that loaded feeling in the hinge position.

I agree! You've mastered this very tough aspect that most people struggle with.

Maybe. Where I see you could get more power is by focusing on the stretch reflex in the arms. This is a subtle thing that @Steve Freides clued me in on a few years ago. As the bell comes to the backswing, feel your arms stretch like rubber bands, or stretching a bow. At the same time, your lower body is getting loaded also, just like the bottom position of a jump (the "jump" down before you explode back up). Initiating the upswing is a reversal of this loading, and when you get the tension and timing right, you'll be amazed at how much more power you feel in the swing.

It does look a bit wide, but it's OK if you like it. Experiment and see what works best for you for power production. A narrower stance may help you get that loaded feeling in the hinge position.

Thank you. This is all very helpful!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom