all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Two-Lift Programs, a Conversation Starter

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I always like to gravitate towards simple and sinister. I did weeks and months of zercher lifting and handstandpushups (freestanding and/or between chairs).

I am almost two years into heavy A+A one arm snatches. It is a liftthat has it all to me. Essentially I lift a weight up from the ground and bring it overhead. A few standing ab wheel rollouts afterwards and for arguments sake I could reason to counterpart the posterior back work with anterior ab work. I don't believe in wanting to address everything. Doing essentials and I do many things right.

I'd be interested to see what happened if someone trained

only TGU + crush gripper work

for about a month

great thread

It seems to me like two-lift programs usually neglect the pull up, which is something I personally think differentiates between being in pretty good shape, and really being ready for anything. For me, needs to be 3 movements; heavy posterior chain, a press, and a row/pull up. I've seen some folks say snatches have carryover, not sure I've gotten it. Maybe @Bro Mo 's C&J + rope climb idea would get there.

But, maybe this is all just because I was personally confounded by pull ups until my 30s. Lighter folks that could do them in elementary school might care less.

I'm a huge fan of abbreviated style training and have undertaken many two lift programs, usually deadlift plus a press variant. I would recommend adding a loaded carry at moderate weight for warm up. With a proper diet and a bit of cardio that's all you need to walk around looking pretty awesome.

I have got great results for strength on such programs provided frequency is high (3 workouts per week as a minimum, better 5+).

For hypertrophy reasonable results are also possible (although many people seem surprised to hear it) but I would add an exercise so it looks something like squat/deads + pulling + pushing with a loaded carry for warm up. 5 workouts over two weeks has been the sweet spot for me on full body abbreviated workouts.

Clean&press and squat
Swings and presses
Presses and pullups/rows
Bench and deadlift
Deadlift and press
Swings and get ups
Swings and squats
Clean and Jerk
Swing and jerk
Bicep curls and tricep extension :D

These work well together and are pretty balanced.
I think balance is overrated, but program can be easily also poor If we use only 2 movements.
I personally never do more than three exercises these days. Minimalism works!

Lately for me, minimalism has only been great in spurts. I find a lot of variety in movement planes and types of muscle contraction to be beneficial for preventing injury from untrained activities.
This is also true! But I think intensity plays also huge role. Too heavy, too soon, too much: injury :)

I always enjoyed supersetting pushups and pullups back in the days. Now I enjoy a big 'pull' eg. swings and an overhead press.

I agree but to a point. One should move in a variety of ways, but not all of them need to be loaded.

-S-

This approach can be really effective. You really load a couple of exercises, maybe 3, but do a wide variety of movements light or unloaded. Perhaps deadlift, one arm press, and pull ups loaded but include some hindu pushups, bodyweight squats, yoga poses, a bit of sprinting, some flexibility work, balance work (like slack line), lots of walking, some practice with breakfalls and rolls, swimming.....

Steve, thank you for this thread, it was wonderful to read the responses. My current pick is Bent Press and SH Swing.

1. Factoring in injury (tactical lunge hurts - full TGU is out)
2. Goals and what we enjoy (strength, mobility, cardio)
3. Set-up (kettlebell only, for others it would vary)

I agree on being all-round in life, keeping time for swimming or badminton/golf with family or friends matter.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom