all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Two-Lift Programs, a Conversation Starter

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Clarity of progress and results

To me, this one is arguably the most important. With a complicated program it can be very difficult to narrow down what aspects of the program are working and how they're working. This in turn is almost invaluable when it comes to motivation to continue to follow said program.

For me, at least, "others things to do" includes "other things to think about." It's like Dan Jon's article about having finite amounts of free will at one's disposal each day. Minimalist routines leave me with more free will to use in other areas of my life.

Are there any thoughts on a mediumist program? It seems fairly common for people to add a thing or two to a minimalist program like maybe NW with deadlifts, pullups, and maybe an ab exercise and some jogging. Is there Strong First programming that integrates those elements into a cohesive package? I've seen some guidelines and many questions asked about how to add something but it seems people are kind of left to decide how to fit it in.

Are there any thoughts on a mediumist program? It seems fairly common for people to add a thing or two to a minimalist program like maybe NW with deadlifts, pullups, and maybe an ab exercise and some jogging. Is there Strong First programming that integrates those elements into a cohesive package? I've seen some guidelines and many questions asked about how to add something but it seems people are kind of left to decide how to fit it in.

Lots of the programs offered on the StrongFirst Blog would fit this category.

I have not read the whole thread, but ...

Why would one embark on a minimalist program if one have access to equipnent/space/whatever to cover the whole body/movement patterns/whatever?
This is discussed in the first post in this thread - perhaps, even if you don't read the whole thread, you'll want to read the first post.

-S-

Great answers!

I have followed S&S my self and really prefer the minimalistic approach. Earlier in my lifting career I have done primarily powerlifting stuff with assistance exercises. At one time I remember asking Jim Wendler (I expect everyone knows who he is) what the best assistance for bench press was as my bench was lagging. He simply answered; "bench press". At the time I did not get what he meant because I was expecting something like close grip bench, skull crushers etc.

Nowadays I really appreciate minimalism and I am glad that I have strayed away from being caught up in always putting more weight on the bar/bell etc. but rather to perfect and feel a movement. A set of swings where you can feel the tension and relaxation is even as good as a PR, perhaps better in manny ways.

My next plan will be to follow StringsHec´s 6 months training, a test of minimalism for sure (but not a pure two-lift program).

Been pondering this during the ongoing adapting to current global pandemic circumstances.

1. Pull ups - neutral grip, I have surprisingly discovered for myself that they also hit the triceps and pecs in a meaningful way. Love the spine decompression, too.
2. Rucking on hilly terrain. Plenty of quad work including occasional reverse lunge to tie a boot. Doubles as a form of mindfulness meditation for the mental health benefits.

If I had access to a well equipped gym I would enjoy rotating with Dips/KB snatches

Not a suggestion but an observation... Finding S and S with a 3 month old baby has been a life saver. The efficiency of a program with only two lifts and the anti-glycolitic training Is like something I’ve never done before because I actually feel BETTER after my session. Never had that before (former CrossFit bozo speaking) and to be able to hit S and S then wash my hands and wipe the sweat off of me and be able to go about my day is great!

@Steve Freides Workouts 1,2,or 3. Two exercises each. Yes, two of the programs have one lift and and one walk/run or run. If the runs are a no go put box jumps in #1 and pistols in #3.

First exercise in #2 is the Athletic Drill with a KB, snatch into a lunge, one lift.

The minimalist idea I was suggesting in the post that started this thread was training programs like S&S - two lifts, no more, nothing on different days. I don't mean to suggest your idea wouldn't be a fine training program, just that it's not what I intended when I started the thread. My examples were S&S, PTTP, and other, similar, two-lifts-only programs.

Thanks, @Don Fairbanks.

-S-

The minimalist idea I was suggesting in the post that started this thread was training programs like S&S - two lifts, no more, nothing on different days. I don't mean to suggest your idea wouldn't be a fine training program, just that it's not what I intended when I started the thread. My examples were S&S, PTTP, and other, similar, two-lifts-only programs.

Thanks, @Don Fairbanks.

-S-
OK, my bad. And I even read, twice, your post #1. Ha! Long Cycle Dbl bell CJ's and weighted or banded or feet elevated push ups.

FAST- Power PU 10x10 EMOM
Start with BW. Goal 10x10 Green Band
CARRY- Trapbar Farmers Carrys
10min, 8min, 6min (Roll a dice)
Like Powertrain except go as far in the time on first day. Scale back to 80% then 60% on medium and light day.
Start BW. Goal 2xBW 500m in 10mins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom