all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Two Move versus Multi Move Programs

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
In other words you won't need too much more than 300lbs, if I'm understanding this properly. I'm happily deadlifting 340-370lbs as often as I like. It keeps me strong along the back chain.

That's not at all how I understand it.

The 300lbs set refers to the target audience of the program. Sure, it has worked for more as well.

SF has strength standards, like in the SFL cert, if I remember right it was something typical like double bodyweight for a single. But it was also emphasized that this was just a starting point, not what one would consider strong.

Why not to do both? My program for last few months:

- S&S, 3-4 times/week - "just" goblet squats, swings and get-ups, heavy (currently mostly with the Beast)
- SFG I/II review, StrongFirst RESILIENT - lots of drills and variations, light (16-24 kg)

Works great - keeps me healthy, strong, and sane.
Yes, this is basically the direction I am headed in. The focus on two (or a very select few at nay rate) moves is important to excel, but working on a variety is important to be ready for anything.

That's not at all how I understand it.

The 300lbs set refers to the target audience of the program. Sure, it has worked for more as well.

SF has strength standards, like in the SFL cert, if I remember right it was something typical like double bodyweight for a single. But it was also emphasized that this was just a starting point, not what one would consider strong.
I certainly have not specialized in the deadlift. My friends deadlift nearly 700lbs, so at around only half that I'm not doing too well at it. It's a nice "filler" to make sure my back chain is half-decent.

The two move programs generally miss either a push or a pull. I understand that many people consider the DL a pull, but it doesn’t feel like one to me. I haven’t worked the TGU so I can’t tell if it feels like a push. Since my primary sports are outdoor endurance leg based activities, I want both push and pull patterns to even things out. In contrast, I feel the hinge and squat patterns are similar enough that I only need to train one at a time.

The two move programs generally miss either a push or a pull. I understand that many people consider the DL a pull, but it doesn’t feel like one to me. I haven’t worked the TGU so I can’t tell if it feels like a push. Since my primary sports are outdoor endurance leg based activities, I want both push and pull patterns to even things out. In contrast, I feel the hinge and squat patterns are similar enough that I only need to train one at a time.
I partially agree. But heavy 1 arm swings hit my back well (even having pullup performance increase without pullups) though TGU don't give me enough push. Perhaps that's psychological with my love for dips, etc....

I think the beauty of minimalist programs is that you can always add a third and forth something that fits your needs.

That might be distance running, paddling, yoga or pullups. But you would still run the original program without tweaking it too much. It's hard to do that with a 5-8 mpve program.

And don't forget: RoP features pullups as an option and has a variety day. And S+S has a squat (though not loaded as much). + All of these programs can be used as side kicks to another main event.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom