Two pairs or three single?

Discussion in 'Kettlebell' started by ClintRW, Sep 2, 2019.

1. ClintRW

ClintRW Double-Digit Post Count

Just curious what everyone’s thoughts are. Would you rather have two pairs of kettlebells (2 - 16kg & 2 - 24kg) or three singles (1 -16kg, 1 - 24 kg, and 1 - 32 kg)

The weights are arbitrary...just using them for illustration.

If you were limited hypothetically, or are limited actually, and had to choose between the two options what would you choose and why?

2. Buffalo

Buffalo Triple-Digit Post Count

I would vote 3 singles. Simply because I have not reached simple, ROP, or sinister. So having double 16 and 24s wouldn't benefit me.

Billy59 and Tim Randolph like this.
  3. rickyw

rickyw More than 500 posts

3 singles. I’ve been at this 5 years now and I’ve hardly done any double work (preference really) because there is so much that can be practiced with single bells. 3 singles gives you more options. Plus I believe asymmetrical loading is highly applicable to real life situations.

I have enjoyed doubles when I’ve done them though.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  4. Oscar

Oscar Quadruple-Digit Post Count

+1 to 3 singles. 16 24 32 or 20 24 28.

20 24 28 can be used as doubles to a great degree

Billy59 and Tim Randolph like this.
  5. william bad butt

william bad butt More than 300 posts

3 singles without a doubt. You can still do doubles. I think there are merits to uneven doubles. Doubles of every bell is also $$$$$.

6. ClintRW

ClintRW Double-Digit Post Count

Wow, unanimous. I wasn't expecting that.

The reason I ask is I ordered two bells, a 35lb and 55lb. I only received the 55lb bell so I called the company to see what happened. They got another 35lb shipped out the next day. So then I got the 35lber, and then a few days later I got another one. The carrier must have been pretty aggressive with the packages because both bells had damage on the finish. So I contacted the kettlebell company again and to explain what had happened and we came to an agreement that I would keep both bells instead of shipping a bunch of stuff back and forth to get an undamaged one.

Long story short I have 2- 35lb and 1 55 lb. Was wondering if my next purchase should be another 55 lb or something heavier keeping in mind that the company is running a 30% off sale on 55lb bells right now and they also gave me an additional discount on my next purchase.

7. Anna C

Anna C More than 5000 posts Elite Certified Instructor

Perfect.

Next one: 32kg.

Then, another 24kg, if you are aiming for SFG I (for double cleans and front squats).

Pavel Macek, WxHerk and rickyw like this.
  8. Buffalo

Buffalo Triple-Digit Post Count

32kg!! But those 2 16k can be used for farmers walks or waiters carry!!

9. Bro Mo

Bro Mo Quadruple-Digit Post Count

Singles also.

10. Damiola

Damiola Double-Digit Post Count

Adjustable ;)

Tiger likes this.
  11. q.Hung

q.Hung More than 500 posts

I perfer double :)

12. Jan

Jan More than 500 posts

Singles.

Billy59 likes this.
  13. Molson

Molson Double-Digit Post Count

3 singles. Haven’t tried it but my guess is you can get stronger with one 32 than two 24s. Two 16s seem pointless when you do 32S&S.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  14. Pavel Macek

Pavel Macek More than 2500 posts Master Instructor

Classic set of 16-24-32 is hard to beat. And as @Anna C said, another 24 later.