all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Two quick StrongFirst Roadwork questions...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dasho

Level 6 Valued Member
...for anyone who has put some time into it.

For reference, StrongFirst Roadwork | StrongFirst is the article in question.

1. Is this a viable way to improve/practice your pistols and one-arm pushups? I realize that the intent of the article wasn't to progress these moves, but I am stuck at an assisted one-arm pushup with 3-4 fingertips on the other hand for support (I can do full pistols, though) and was hoping this could still help me reach a full OAP as I shift my strength days to Bent Pressing.

2. Do these sets of brief but higher-intensity moves interfere with the adaptations that LISS-type work provides?

Thanks for any input.

1. in your case, i don't think so. maybe when you can do strict 5-6 one arm push up, strongfirst roadwork will improve your skill by adding few more push up to your daily practice.

Hello,

@Dasho
Are you after "strength and conditioning" or after the move per se ?

I am returning from a series of TDYs for the Air Force where Naked Warrior-style workouts were my only viable option. Now that I'm back to my home station, I need to resume running/"conditioning", but I didn't want to lose my progress in those moves. I could continue to practice them NW-style, but I didn't know if that would hamper my progress/recovery on the bent press.

Hello,

@Dasho
I think the roadwork is a pretty good idea because it will add some volume to your training (regarding oap / pistol), without strain.
Otherwise, did you consider GTG ? of course, this has to fit your schedule.

When one wants to maintain or improve a technique, I think this is important to avoid fatigue, so relatively low volume remains a very solid approach.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I did consider GTG, but I already GTG chin-ups at a low volume, and I am afraid that if I add two more exercises to my GTG, it will start to be detrimental. Basically, my goal is to improve strength (bent press), keep my run times well within standards (roadwork), but not lose proficiency in chin-ups/pistols/OAP. For me, at least, they are very much "use it or lose it" skills.

2. Do these sets of brief but higher-intensity moves interfere with the adaptations that LISS-type work provides?
No.

I guess LISS is the new abbreviation for what I'm using to calling LSD, or long, slow distance.

-S-

No.

I guess LISS is the new abbreviation for what I'm using to calling LSD, or long, slow distance.

-S-
There are some schools of thought that believe we should be more properly calling LSD LED
Long Easy Distance. Slow implying... well...slow. As we adapt we should be able to do endurance work at a 'faster' pace and lower heart rate.

As long as we all agree on what means what, I'm fine with calling it Phred. :)

-S-

No.

-S-

It's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. I suspect the Low Intensity Steady State verbage was trying to be more of a blanket term for things that didn't involve a certain speed or distance.

At any rate, thanks all for the input. I think I'll give it a shot, and if it doesn't really work out, add them to my GTG schedule while minding the volume.

The point of low intensity aerobic training is to develop aspects of the aerobic system that are only accessed at low intensity. Speed isn't the issue. That's why a HRM is important. It keeps you in the correct zone, and honest, while your speed gradually increases. At least that's how Maffetone explains it

From memory, zone 1 is OK but not as effective as Zone 2 for aerobic training. Zone 3 tends to be glycolytic, I think, and zones 4 and 5 are for speedwork training and/or short distances. Please correct me if I've gotten that wrong, anyone.

-S-

I think you should be okay going these three GTG style to maintain them. Just remember GTG is easy (about 50 percent of max) something you do not even need a warmup for. Track and listen to your body so you know if it becomes too much.

Track and listen to your body so you know if it becomes too much.

This is excellent advice...I played around for a couple of weeks to see how it felt doing all three. I think I'm discarding the OAP for now, as it felt like my other workouts left me less able to do them properly with the form they deserve (I actually worked up to an unsupported OAP, but they were sloppy at best). That being said, the pullup/pistol combo as GTG feels pretty good. I'll probably try starting an actual workout log now that that last piece of the puzzle has been sorted out. Thanks again, everyone.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom