all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Ulnar nerve entrapment

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kranjack18

First Post
So last year I was cleaning my fish tank and I turned around and hit my elbow on the corner of the glass fish tank very hard. I was in pretty serve pain for about 10 minutes. After that it was fine and I just went on with my life. I workout everyday so then while I was at the gym a few weeks later I noticed me elbow would make like a tiny “pop” on certain excercises like incline bench. I would feel this tiny numbing pulse shoot up starting from my elbow up to the back of my hand.
So then for awhile ignored it and just didn’t do incline bench and never had a problem. For unrelated reasons a few months later I quit working out for about a month and a half. Then getting back into it my elbow was fine but then few months later when I would warm up on bench press my elbow would do the tiny pop again, but this time with no pain or tingles or anything. It just felt like the nerve moved for the sec. but then after warming up it would go away. So again I just ignored it. And it was like that for a little while.
Now recently like starting 2 months ago my elbow would pop badly on the bench press. Like it would feel like the first time I hit it on the fish tank but still not as bad. Out of nowhere it seems like this started happening. This was the worst it’s ever been. It was affecting me on many excercises that I do. So then I quit doing all the things that affected it. So I bought some very sturdy elbow wraps and wrist wraps and I can do some of the excercises with those with no pain. Still can’t do everything tho. now recently like 2-3 months ago my elbow will do the “pop” when I’m not even working out every time I just bend my arm up and down vertically once my arms passes 90 degrees. If I bend it horizontally it won’t do anything. Not a bad pop but a very subtle one. Like the nerve moves out of place then goes back it seems like. Also on arm day it completely goes away temporarily after doing a few sets of tricep pushdowns. I can bend my elbow and nothing will happen but it’s only temporary, when I get home it will go back to doing the very subtle pop.
It hasn’t gotten any better the past few months and that’s probably because even if I just bend my arm resting and it does that pop that must still irritate it and restart the healing process all over again, even tho I feel no pain/tingling. Can someone please help I really don’t want surgery but I don’t know what to do. Thanks.

@Kranjack18, it sounds like your next step should be to see a medical professional and find out what's going on. In your case, it sounds like the elbow and wrist wraps are just masking symptoms and generally that's not a good thing to do. You don't know if you need surgery; you do know that you need a medical opinion, maybe even a few medical opinions, to get an understanding of what's going on.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-

Go see a physical therapist. It sounds pretty much as you describe, maybe ulnar nerve subluxation. But a physio will be able to asses you best and can give you the non-surgical options you are looking to try. The causes of what you have going on could be from any one of (or manyof )a number of things, so an in-person diagnoses is what you need.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom