all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Ultra Minimalism - Victorious

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JR47

Level 5 Valued Member
At the moment I am ironing out some injuries using ashtanga yoga and LISS running (each 3 times a week.)

I am looking for an absolute 'minimal effective dose' strength program to add a 'tension practice'.

Here is my question:

Would working up to heavy kettlebell presses (using something like Fabio Zonin's Victorious programming) be enough to maintain / improve overall strength?

All opinions welcome.

At the moment I am ironing out some injuries using ashtanga yoga and LISS running (each 3 times a week.)

I am looking for an absolute 'minimal effective dose' strength program to add a 'tension practice'.

Here is my question:

Would working up to heavy kettlebell presses (using something like Fabio Zonin's Victorious programming) be enough to maintain / improve overall strength?

All opinions welcome.
Not speaking from experience, I would say yes, especially if you do it as a C&P version.

Yoga should help you to maintain mobility and basic strength and stability. C&P will also help you to maintain basic conditioning. Presumably less than ballistics, but better than Yoga only. As Fabio says, a heavy press is a full body movement. Geoff Neupert is also an advocate of C&P only (The Giant, STRONG!, etc.). Minimalism helps with recovery which in turn prepares the ground for progress.

I think this approach would work at least for 3 months, possibly longer.

The body is one piece :) And regaining lost strength is easier than acquiring it in the first place. So even if you lose some qualities in the process you might not need much time regaining it afterwards.

Not speaking from experience, I would say yes, especially if you do it as a C&P version.

Yoga should help you to maintain mobility and basic strength and stability. C&P will also help you to maintain basic conditioning. Presumably less than ballistics, but better than Yoga only. As Fabio says, a heavy press is a full body movement. Geoff Neupert is also an advocate of C&P only (The Giant, STRONG!, etc.). Minimalism helps with recovery which in turn prepares the ground for progress.

I think this approach would work at least for 3 months, possibly longer.

The body is one piece :)
Thankyou very much for this reply

Here is my question:

All opinions welcome.
Yes, but the kind of strength you'll acquire will be different with single vs. double bells, so that's one choice to keep in mind.

I would add swings in whatever form doesn't take away from what else you're doing. I've had good results with as few as 60 swings per day on average, several day a week. It's not S&S but it's definitely better than no swings. Since you're running, you could even make it as minimalist as a single set of 20-25 swings. That is my go-to option if I'm very short on time, sometimes I'll make it 2 sets of 10-15 reps each. Either way, it's a very small investment of time.

-S-

Yes, but the kind of strength you'll acquire will be different with single vs. double bells, so that's one choice to keep in mind.

I would add swings in whatever form doesn't take away from what else you're doing. I've had good results with as few as 60 swings per day on average, several day a week. It's not S&S but it's definitely better than no swings. Since you're running, you could even make it as minimalist as a single set of 20-25 swings. That is my go-to option if I'm very short on time, sometimes I'll make it 2 sets of 10-15 reps each. Either way, it's a very small investment of time.

-S-
Thanks a lot for the reply, Steve, I always appreciate your depth of insight.

It depends what the injuries are and duration of your rehabilitation...
The one arm MP is definitely a good choice if you're aiming to play down the hip hinge volume to aid the recovery.

I am a huge advocate for The Giant…I love its simplicity and the results I’ve seen from it in both strength and conditioning. I love how it makes me feel strong, build muscle, but not kill myself. The other minimalist program I enjoy is the quick and the dead. But for me the muscle I’ve put on with the Giant is noticeable and for 90 min a week it really delivers. Also it leaves room for a freestyle day and some mobility days if your body is asking for it.

Long time lurker. First or second time poster?
I’ve had some success in a similiar situation with “ strength aerobics” style clean press squat. Varying weight & intervals per session.
It’s been a game changer for me and the hinging seems manageable.
Your mileage may vary

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom