all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Unable to do S&S consistently, advice needed please

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jwsco

Level 4 Valued Member
Hey,
I got the simple & sinister book and a 16kg kettlebell for Christmas and have just started on the program. It suits me perfectly as I can get the routine done and dusted first thing in the morning before my daughter wakes up. The only problem is, as the title suggests, I can’t do the program consistently. I know the whole idea is to do it almost daily at first. However, due to my job I won’t be able to (I work on an oil rig on a three weeks on, three weeks off rotation). The gym I go to when I am at home has plenty of kettlebells so I plan to do S&S almost daily during my time off. The gym at my work doesn’t have any kettlebells. There is a good selection of dumbbells, barbells, squat rack, leg press, pull up/dip station and lots of cardio machines. I have asked about purchasing kettlebells but this has been knocked back due to safety concerns (I know)! Anyway, I’m just wondering what to do for the three weeks while I am at work with no access to kettlebells? I have tried swings and get ups with dumbbells before and don’t like using them for these. I was thinking a couple of full body workouts, a 5k on the treadmill and a HIIT session on the bike each week. That way I’m getting some strength work in as well as cardio. If anyone has any suggestions/advice it’d be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Here are some ideas :

First idea is to do S& S 3 weeks and Power to the People 3 weeks ( this us a barbell program). The usual recommendation is 2 weeks each, but given your schedule I think 3 weeks each is fine.

Another idea is to pick a nice barbell program and just do that. If in the future you have access to kettlebells all year long you can tackle S&S. PTTP is an option, but there are many.

Another idea, but that I like less, is to build a T- handle and use it for 2 hand swings while at the rig. For TGU, dumbbells suck, so you could try this:

20180606_180717.jpg

For the TGU I was using the plates on the left.

Onle last idea is to do swings and bench press instead of swings and TGU. TGU is great, but so is bench press.

Last edited:
I was thinking a couple of full body workouts, a 5k on the treadmill and a HIIT session on the bike each week. That way I’m getting some strength work in as well as cardio. If anyone has any suggestions/advice it’d be much appreciated.

Hi, don't go for the HIIT session, it is against the S&S (and generaly Strongfirst) philosophy.
You are free to think in terms of ballistic + grind, e.g. jumpsquats & benchpress, ...

I have experienced difficulties moving the bell after 10 days off, in the third session everything went smooth again then. 3 weeks completly off and doing only treadmill or yoga would not be a good idea in my opinion.

rgds Johannes

My vote goes to @Oscar. Three week blocks of S&S and PTTP is the way to go IMHO. Two of the best programs on planet earth.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom